Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• If they’re that keen on seeking excellence, why did they release Josh Scowen?

• Does consectacio translate to evading?

• @Chris said:
    If they’re that keen on seeking excellence, why did they release Josh Scowen?

Because he is very poor and the midfielders we have now are a vast improvement.

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@Chris said:

Or because you think you play like Real Madrid whereas your progress has been closer to Accrington Stanley for the last decade? and Josh is a decent hard working mostly defensive midfielder?

Enjoy the game , don't get too wound up when we dare to tackle your "vastly improved" midfielders.

Heading north any minute now unlike your league positions of the last decade.

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@Chris said:

He’s played in the Championship more recently than 2018. Have you?

• Scowen is an excellent player and Sunderland will regret letting him go. I like the fact that @Safc_in_peace is concentrating on his team’s strengths but today will be very different to the last time we played at the SOL and Wycombe are much improved in every department. Best of luck Sunderland but not in this game.

• @Chris said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Chris said:

No, but there is a reason that he and us have not. He was one of the key reasons our midfield was so poor at times last season. I hear he has started well for you, however his time here was marked by poor passing both in terms of pass completion and choice. He was also a walking booking, His shooting was the weakest part of his game. He was also very slow.

• I’ll agree with you about the walking booking.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Chris said:

Or because you think you play like Real Madrid whereas your progress has been closer to Accrington Stanley for the last decade? and Josh is a decent hard working mostly defensive midfielder?

Enjoy the game , don't get too wound up when we dare to tackle your "vastly improved" midfielders.

Heading north any minute now unlike your league positions of the last decade.

I like a good tackle , ou progress over the last ten years has been much worse that Accrington, if we had progressed as far as they have over that time we would be a dominant force in Europe. Their progress has been outstanding,we have collapsed as a football team over that time.

However the changes over the last six months seem to have changed our direction of travel and the football is much more entertaining and progressive. It will be a test today as I expect you to close us down and attempt to bully us both on and off the ball. You have a style of play which suits your players, we have one which suits ours, let’s see which one wins

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@Chris said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Chris said:

No, but there is a reason that he and us have not. He was one of the key reasons our midfield was so poor at times last season. I hear he has started well for you, however his time here was marked by poor passing both in terms of pass completion and choice. He was also a walking booking, His shooting was the weakest part of his game. He was also very slow.

Nope, HE has.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Chris said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Chris said:

Nope, HE has.

Ok meant say are not have.

• Scowen has probably been our best player this season, and the table says we've been one of the best sides so far.... If you're moaning about his shooting you were probably playing him in the wrong position.

We're not the same side that we once were, we've essentially kept our championship side and improved on it. So far this season we've only used 1 centre back and have sometimes started 4 forwards.

The only really physical player we start is Vokes up top who is our focal point, but in the 2 guys behind we have serious quality for this league- whichever 2 play today, Our wing backs get well forward to try get decent crosses in got Vokes who quite simply is the best header of the ball in the division.

The defensive midfield 2 will cover every inch of grass, but are both tiny, if you feel bullied by us today it'll be because you've been outfought, outrun and outplayed, not outmuscled.

Should be a good game, but for the first time ever in league 1, we've got one of the best squads of players (much better than when we went up), and when we know we have the best manager still, that's only cause for huge optimism down here

• Agreed, without Tafazolli we’re a pretty small team.

• Should be a good game, looks like both teams in better states than they have been for a while, we shouldn't have to worry about putting enough players on the bench. lots to pantomime boo at for both sides. Hope the ref doesn't spoil it.

Btw anyone think the clubs weekend guide was a bit thin? Sure we used to get some travel and pub info.

• Hope we smash them and it ends in a 22-man (+ coaching staff) brawl.

• (I will take 1-1)

• I'm looking forward to the game and hoping for a good one, with minimal smashing, at least of the illegitimate kind, and maximal footballing. Also wish to note in passing that I've been enjoying the measured contributions of @Safc_in_peace this week. Thanks for dropping by and hope you enjoy the rest of your season.

• I know I am usually pessimistic at the best of times but I am unusually pessimistic about today. I have the feeling this may bring us down to earth a bit

• Come on @bookertease get your optimistic head on. As stated above, we have a real good team now and we will only get stronger as the season goes on. Yes this will be a tough game but we have nothing to fear. COYB!!!!

• It sounds like both teams will be very different to those we have been used to, so it will be interesting. The view of your style held by a lot of our fans is based very much on the last game at your place which was more of a pub brawl than a football match both on the field and in the dug out. We were left with several injuries and doubts about one players career possibly been over. Other than that you were sen as a team very good at the dark arts of stopping other teams playing and very good at wasting time when you were in the lead or hanging on for a draw. These are skillscwhich win games in this league so will be popular with your own fans but not other teams.

• No idea how today will go, it really could go either way. It's billed as a big match for both teams, but in the grand scene of things it's an early season meeting for 2 sides that have started well. A chance to lay down a marker, but it's not going to be in anyway decisive.

Just looking at the interesting posts from @Safc_in_peace I think a mistake many opposition fans make (and possibly managers) is in thinking we're this one dimensional, bullying side. We are of course direct, although not as must as we once were, but we have so much quality throughout the squad. I think it's often ignored though, as we saw in the comments from Lincoln fans the other week.

It's strange, but win, lose, or draw we seemed to get no end of compliments from Championship fans over how we played. League one fans tend to be far more cynical. Possibly because whilst we're seen as the masters of dark arts in League one, we were without doubt seen as naive children in that respect in the Championship.

Anyway, here's hoping for a good game. Would be thrilled with a win, happy with a draw, but certainly won't be too down if we lose.

• Tbh I don't think it matters how well we play, if we play like Brazil and pass Sunderland of the pitch and win 4-0 most of their fans will still be saying we are shithouses that can't play football and started wasting time after 10 minutes ( have we actually wasted time at all this season ?)

• That guy was happily playing against us last season for Middlesbrough in the CHAMPIONSHIP. And it was the last but one time we played you at home. The last match at home we brushed you aside without a whimper. By the way, change your name because your rhetoric doesn’t match up.

• We do time waste of course. Although to be honest, we look to slow the game down even when we're losing. We play a high energy game and I think the idea is that it gives the players a little breather if we take a bit if time over goalkicks.

Time wasting is not a 'Wycombe' trait though. Most teams do it. Wigan's keeper was booked for time wasting against us the other week, but they don't get labelled in the same way we do. I'm sure if Sunderland are 1 up with few minutes remaining, they won't be rushing to take set pieces and their fans will love it and I certainly wouldn't begrudge them that.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Tbh I don't think it matters how well we play, if we play like Brazil and pass Sunderland of the pitch and win 4-0 most of their fans will still be saying we are shithouses that can't play football and started wasting time after 10 minutes ( have we actually wasted time at all this season ?)

Yes - when Stocko told the terrace to keep hold of the ball against Accrington, which you have to rate.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    Tbh I don't think it matters how well we play, if we play like Brazil and pass Sunderland of the pitch and win 4-0 most of their fans will still be saying we are shithouses that can't play football and started wasting time after 10 minutes ( have we actually wasted time at all this season ?)

Yes - when Stocko told the terrace to keep hold of the ball against Accrington, which you have to rate.

Haha forgot about that. We're certainly no where near as bad as we used to be though

• That was cringeworthy and embarrassing

• @HolmerBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@HolmerBlue said:

Haha forgot about that. We're certainly no where near as bad as we used to be though

I don't know if we are, but it's not a big deal either way. I think of it as NFL-style 'clock management' rather than time-wasting - totally legitimate tactic!

• I repeat for the umpteenth time, once you have a label in football-deserved or undeserved-it’s very difficult to get rid of it. The idea that we ‘bully’ teams is preposterous as our disciplinary record proves. We are no more or less physical than other teams, remember the battering Vokes got last week from Lincoln who are regarded as a ‘footballing’ team. As for our friend from Sunderland rippling every part of Scowen’s game to pieces, I can only say he must have seen some truly outstanding midfielders over the years if he thinks Josh is so poor.

• Other than the whole Scowen thing, what confuses me most about Sunderland fans is how little they seem to rate the guy who scored 31 goals for them last season.