Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That was Grimmer's worst game for us today, had a shocker, I reckon he is carrying an injury.

• Big fan of grimmer but yeah he bottled it today

• I didn’t see the Accrington and Lincoln games, but Jack hasn’t got going this season imho.

• He did OK against Lincoln but he is no CB.

• There is lots to be excited about after watching that today..and analysing the numbers related

• edited August 2021

Coming to this discussion late. On Mehmeti, whatever the provocation, if the ref sees you throw a punch…you’re off, no excuses. And it’s a three game ban for violent conduct. Anis needs to calm down to play first team football at this level, he is an amazing talent and can go far.

• Looks like it might have to be this for Ipswich unless we can still get it called off?

Stockdale

Grimmer
    Tafazolli
    Jacobson

Wheeler
    Thompson
    Scowen
    Obita

McCleary
    Kaikai

Vokes

• If it's any small consolation, Posh lost in the 94th minute. Matt Phillips got the assist.

• Ipswich are 2 draws from 5 games so far, although it looks like they were denied a win in late on today.

But will we meet them in that sort of form later on in the season, is the question.

We do still have to get through the midweek game first, as despite it being seen as a joke cup, do we still have to play 5 or 6 who played today?

• 7.4 Qualifying Player means any Player who:

7.4.1 had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);

7.4.2 subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;

7.4.3 is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;

7.4.4 has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or

7.4.5 is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.

• edited August 2021

Oh, you have to at least four 'Qualifying Players' among your starting outfield players.

• @TheatreOfChairs said:
    An update on Nick Freeman would be nice too given we were told it could be serious…..well, is it?

Shame on me for not mentioning Nick alongside Stewart, McCarthy and McCleary as players we really missed today.

Matt Cecil did mention on commentary that Stewart picked up a knock in training and could not be risked. Also that McCleary had a stomach bug when he woke up in the hotel but was planning to watch the game. To me, the biggest concern is McCarthy. Didn’t he come on as a sub and almost immediately have to leave the field ? Did he walk off ? Was he stretchered ? I can’t even remember which game! He was outstanding as a right wingback towards the end of last season. A revelation. But Wheeler may be able to cover that position on a temporary basis, certainly more effectively than KaiKai. If we’re going to continue with three at the back (and I really hope we are) we probably need cover there, especially given the vulnerability of Tafazolli who surely cannot have been fully match fit today.

Considering all the adverse circumstances surrounding today’s game, it is reassuring when someone like @Safc_in_peace regards us as the best of the five teams they have played so far. I’m sure there are better times ahead.

Apologies for length of this.

• @micra said:

@TheatreOfChairs said:
    An update on Nick Freeman would be nice too given we were told it could be serious…..well, is it?

Shame on me for not mentioning Nick alongside Stewart, McCarthy and McCleary as players we really missed today.

Matt Cecil did mention on commentary that Stewart picked up a knock in training and could not be risked. Also that McCleary had a stomach bug when he woke up in the hotel but was planning to watch the game. To me, the biggest concern is McCarthy. Didn’t he come on as a sub and almost immediately have to leave the field ? Did he walk off ? Was he stretchered ? I can’t even remember which game! He was outstanding as a right wingback towards the end of last season. A revelation. But Wheeler may be able to cover that position on a temporary basis, certainly more effectively than KaiKai. If we’re going to continue with three at the back (and I really hope we are) we probably need cover there, especially given the vulnerability of Tafazolli who surely cannot have been fully match fit today.

Considering all the adverse circumstances surrounding today’s game, it is reassuring when someone like @Safc_in_peace regards us as the best of the five teams they have played so far. I’m sure there are better times ahead.

Apologies for length of this.

McCarthy limped off away at Exeter in the League Cup. He trudged around the pitch and past us away fans after getting injured (definitely wasn't stretchered off)

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Oh, you have to at least four 'Qualifying Players' among your starting outfield players.

That 40appearances thing seems the easy option out.
    We could put Samuel, Kashket, Bloomfield out as 3 of of our 4, one other player who played a game or so back and 7 kids (if we had them!) By the sound of that?

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

We could put Samuel, Kashket, Bloomfield out as 3 of of our 4, one other player who played a game or so back and 7 kids (if we had them!) By the sound of that?

I think so? My head hurts after trying to makes sense of it all. Probably sensible to play Taf and Wheels even if just for 45-60 mins, and hopefully a run-out for Hanlan if he is fit and just wasn't quite sharp enough to be involved today (I think he's only played 45 mins this season).

• I’m very much hoping the game goes ahead next week. International breaks are awful without games and I think we’d be just kicking the congestion can down the road.

• @jessvl1 Completely agree. Ruins the prospect of a big game for numbers of fans who can't do midweek. Loses a load of revenue. And we'd still have a decent chance of winning.

• Agree with @fame_46 and @username123 in their assessment of today. Stocko’s poor clearance led to the ball coming back as another phase of the previous attack, so was avoidable with a more accurate clearance. 2nd goal was a bit special to be fair. G-Mac and Stewart a big miss. Is there really retrospective punishment for reaction to being smacked on the neck, but no retrospective punishment for the creator of the incident? They used a really smart time wasting ploy, which went undetected as it all looks so innocent. Carefully line up a goal kick, get your defenders to make like it’s being played out from the back, wait for the press, then wave the players upfield, and wait again for everyone to rearrange themselves for the long goal kick. Every time... Takes an age to finally get the ball in play. None of the officials are bothered, and only 3 mins added on (all accounted for by an injury break and 3 substitution events). We are not masters of the dark arts after all.

• Oh, and that sub goalie on Quest who pinned the oppo assistant to the floor. Hilarious! That takes ‘losing it’ to a new level... Even bigger shock - Steve Evans not involved.

• @jessvl1 said:
    I’m very much hoping the game goes ahead next week. International breaks are awful without games and I think we’d be just kicking the congestion can down the road.

Yep, I'd much rather play as well

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I've never seen a manager look more like a skateboarder than Gibraltar's does in that edit.

To be fair Julio is a bit... passionate when it comes to football. Could be worth watching the Latvia game though, especially since Lincoln Red Imps (a lot of the squad is their players) beat Riga FC (who make up the bulk of Latvia's team) to get into the Conference League group stage. Might be another Tjay De Barr-esque wildcard in there. Louie Annesley is a 6'7" CB/DM/LB in Blackburn's development team at the moment who's actively chasing a League One loan, so keep an eye on him. Naturally a CB, used as a DM by the national team, has filled in at LB for Rovers U23s at times.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I would give Bayo a run out as well as he won't be starting against Ipswich.

• Not sure if anyone has mentioned it already, but I think it deserves highlighting, but that bit of skill from Bayo (around 1:11 on the highlights package) of controlling the ball from a goal kick, chest and immediate shot surrounded by defenders shows how gifted a footballer he really is.

If (big if) that went in I would have been goal of the season.
    If messi/Ronaldo/mbappe did it, it would be all over YouTube

Comparing Bayo to those three not something I thought I would say when he signed.

• Bayo didn’t put a foot wrong yesterday. He created chances for himself and others and won just about every key header, and he wasn’t having any of O’Nien’s nonsense.

• @inflikted said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I've never seen a manager look more like a skateboarder than Gibraltar's does in that edit.

To be fair Julio is a bit... passionate when it comes to football. Could be worth watching the Latvia game though, especially since Lincoln Red Imps (a lot of the squad is their players) beat Riga FC (who make up the bulk of Latvia's team) to get into the Conference League group stage. Might be another Tjay De Barr-esque wildcard in there. Louie Annesley is a 6'7" CB/DM/LB in Blackburn's development team at the moment who's actively chasing a League One loan, so keep an eye on him. Naturally a CB, used as a DM by the national team, has filled in at LB for Rovers U23s at times.

Fellow Gibraltarian in the Gasroom?
    Annesley could be a loan option for us. Only turned 21 in May, so wouldn’t count towards our squad quota.

• @inflikted said:

Thanks for the insights, welcome to the Gasroom, and wave hello to @JohnBoy - another Gibraltar resident.

• Welcome to the Gribraltar Gasroomers and Annesley looks a good prospect.

• Just watched quest...apologies if someone has already mentioned it but they claimed it was Daryl Horgan swinging at 09 while clearly showing Mehmeti! Also hard to tell not being there but from the tv pictures it looked like should Stocko have done better with the first?