Skip to content

Ikpeazu

Comments

• He was pretty useful in the play-offs that led to our remarkable promotion.

• Gareth picks the team though and he obviously rates him even if you don't. Samuels first focus seems to be getting there first, winning fouls at times and then holding the ball and joining up play, with actually creating chances and goalscoring down the list a bit so he's not your average striker but he's pretty effective and winds up the opposition no end. I genuinely think if he was a bit taller and did exactly the same thing in games he'd be very popular.

• edited July 2021

There's the exceptionally optimistic angle from @ReturnToSenda and then there's the exceptionally negative angle from others.

I've gone from being very close to the former to creeping further down the optimism scale by the week, having seen the loanees go, Fred go and seemingly Uche off.

However, keeper, defence, defensive midfield are very strong. Wheeler and McCleary will provide plenty, and Mehmeti hopefully continues his development. Plus the key point that we do have 5 or so weeks to make signings still.

It's just that Uche style hole we need to fill really. And if that is impossible we may well have to do it via 2 signings. A young Bayo and a more reliable goalscorer than Kashket and Samuel (averaging 3and4 goal a season respectively the last 3-4 years).

Unless Kashket does finally realise that league 2 hit streak potential.

• edited July 2021

I won't slate kashket or Samuel because they have given us a good service....BUT!!! imho our forward line is now horribly horribly weak. I'm happy that our GK, defenders and midfield (with hopefully the addition of a creative attacking player) are all league one capable and more. Strike force needs major major help..... Praise be to the 1.5mill we have to spend???? ??

• edited July 2021

It is a step down losing Uche AND Muskwe (I would have kept the latter over Uche had it been a choice) and obviously Fred leaves a void too. However, at least we know exactly where the problem areas are, and we are very strong in a lot of areas. I would be extremely happy with the following eight starters (with some deputies/alternatives noted) if we kept the same system:

GK - Stockdale
    LWB - TBD
    LCB - Jacobson
    CB - Taffs/Stewart
    RCB - Grimmer
    RWB - McCarthy
    DM - Thompson/Gape
    CM - Scowen
    CAM - McLeary (Mehmeti, Freeman)
    FW - TBD
    ST - TBD

The main thing is I keep forgetting about Wheeler! That's a nice problem to have.

Much of that team played brilliantly in the second tier at the end of the season. We then have players who could really make a leap, like Mehmeti and Obita (who I was not convinced by last season, but has potential now he is settled in).

• @Shev said:
    It is a step down losing Uche AND Muskwe (I would have kept the latter over Uche had it been a choice) and obviously Fred leaves a void too. However, at least we know exactly where the problem areas are, and we are very strong in a lot of areas. I would be extremely happy with the following eight starters (with some deputies/alternatives noted) if we kept the same system:

GK - Stockdale
    LWB - TBD
    LCB - Jacobson
    CB - Taffs/Stewart
    RCB - Grimmer
    RWB - McCarthy
    DM - Thompson/Gape
    CM - Scowen
    CAM - McLeary (Mehmeti, Freeman)
    FW - TBD
    ST - TBD

The main thing is I keep forgetting about Wheeler! That's a nice problem to have.

Much of that team played brilliantly in the second tier at the end of the season. We then have players who could really make a leap, like Mehmeti and Obita (who I was not convinced by last season, but has potential now he is settled in).

Totally agree with all of this @Shev
    I also think Horgan will come into his own at this level and live up to expectations

• @Alexo - Horgan is another one I keep forgetting about! It really does feel like we are fine everywhere (cover notwithstanding) except those three, though of course the goalscoring positions are the trickiest to fill.

I have said it before, but we are going to be VERY hard to score against (if we are in L1), no matter what. We just need to find a way to manufacture more goals.

• I’m hoping that Horgan is like a new signing. Let’s be honest he didn’t have a season to remember last year so should rip up league 1. If he’s still with us

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I’m hoping that Horgan is like a new signing. Let’s be honest he didn’t have a season to remember last year so should rip up league 1. If he’s still with us

I just wish he was better defensively, as that would be LWB partially solved.

• Let's be optimistic guys and gals.... Teams looking good.... We just need to get in a couple of proven finishers at this level. If we can't do that with the cash we now have, upgrades to training ground and stadium.... And the fact that we are the greatest team on earth! We never will!!

• This is a hard one to take, for me Uche would have been our most important player this season but I could completely understand him taking the move as he’s earned it. I really hope we can find a suitable replacement that will score the goals we need. No bad blood for us and Uche though, I’ll always remember his time with us very fondly.

• I'm just really sad that it looks like Uche is going to leave without us ever being able to watch him at a game

• Strange in a way... I'm going to be gutted to see him leave, but excited as I believe we'll be pushing for promotion this season and have no doubt GA will already have a target identified... could we break our transfer record this summer???

• Boro’ fans aren’t too impressed that they’re signing Uche.

• It will be interesting to see how Uche fares on an established second tier side, assuming he gets decent game time.

• @Shev said:

I wonder if Wheeler could do a job as a striker. He's good in the air, plays with speed of thought, gets in good positions, holds up the ball well and flicks it on better than anyone else in the squad. Pair him up with Kashket running off him and could we have a decent strikeforce? He's capable of playing anywhere else on the pitch after all, so why not as a 9? I know he was tried there once (was it at Norwich?) and didn't do brilliantly but that was before the new system where we play the ball on the floor more and look to thread it through.

Also, didn't he score more goals than Ollie Watkins the season they played at Exeter together? Or am I grasping at straws?

• @drcongo said:
    I reckon I could fit more than £750k in a truck.

He is a lawyer

• That money from the Uche sale could be a game changer for us recruitment wise…. £4K a week is around £208k a year so you’d hope you could bring in 3-4 half decent players relative to our level on that money.

Uche, Fred and (as far as we know) Bayo not being on the books probably frees up around 7-9k a week in wages.

Given that transfer and players currently off the books, I reckon that GA has a kitty of around 1.5-2m to play with for fees and wages.

• @mooneyman said:
    Personally I think this is a good deal for all parties. Uche will earn more money, Middlesbrough have money to burn and we get good compensation.

If you look at Uche's performance over the whole season and not just the last few games (and he had not exactly pulled up trees at his previous clubs) then in this financial climate £1m seems generous. Providing that these funds are reinvested across the squad wisely, then it is possible we could end up stronger à la Brentford.

Hopefully a good sell on percentage will be Included in the deal.

Totally agree, suits everyone. Uche is probably 100k down on yearly earnings after relegation so a move to Boro suits him and we get a decent upfront fee plus more to come. Very good business I think!!

• The danger is of course that better players = better wages. So if we dip into the 'normal' market and start bringing in the premium wage players it will a) disrupt the dressing room and b) leave us with a liability if things don't go right.

The bargain bin is still brimming with talent and I would rather see that pot exploited than lashing out on the next over-hyped player. A slight tweak to transfer expectations is nice, a complete overhaul makes me twitchy.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    The danger is of course that better players = better wages. So if we dip into the 'normal' market and start bringing in the premium wage players it will a) disrupt the dressing room and b) leave us with a liability if things don't go right.

The bargain bin is still brimming with talent and I would rather see that pot exploited than lashing out on the next over-hyped player. A slight tweak to transfer expectations is nice, a complete overhaul makes me twitchy.

I agree, you don’t want to go disrupting things too much with an obviously well paid player relative to the group, but I understand that Uche was around 3.5k a week when he first signed and that no doubt would have gone up each year of his deal (which is common these days in players contracts)

So if 3.5k a week gets you Uche 1 year ago, then that may be the going rate for players we’re look to bring in that can get us back up or at least challenging at the top end of L1

• It’s a sad loss as he did give something different and will be difficult to replace and at the moment difficult to quantify the effect on the club. But at least we (apparently) got a (small) truck load of money for him.

Not keen on splashing the cash on marquee signings. We are in a good financial position but we are basically approaching the end of the JJ/Bayo era - two rare players who gave us something that few other teams have.

I think now is the time to rethink and rebuild. Don’t get (relative) superstars in to aim for an immediate return, but look for players with of the right age and attitude to progress both individually and as a team

• @Commoner said:
    Is Joe Pigott still available? Suspect he’ll be walking through the door soon!

I had a similar thought. I’m certain we’ll have approached him, but there will be plenty of competition. I thought we might go after him even with Uche in the side.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Both Samuel nor Kashket actually proved themselves at Championship level and neither scored goals on a regular basis even in League 1.

Yes we have seven or even more players who proved themselves at championship level but my point is we need to strengthen in the forward positions to really have a chance of going up.

We must improve to move forward and I am sure Gareth will do exactly that and we will add attacking options either through signings or loans.

I never said we didn't have to strengthen in forward positions, just that Samuel would be a useful rotation option. Gaz and Dobbo will put together a squad capable of challenging for promotion, of that I have no doubt.

• @rg9wwfc said:

Given that transfer and players currently off the books, I reckon that GA has a kitty of around 1.5-2m to play with for fees and wages.

You would hope so. Although our new owners were unfortunate in one way to hit a pandemic just after they took over, they have been incredibly lucky financially with the 'unexpected' promotion worth an extra 6 or 7 £million and now a sizeable windfall from Uche.

Improvements in the stadium are welcome, but a competitive squad is more important and losing Fred and Uche plus the natural fading of senior pros like Bayo will leave some big holes to be filled.

• Just wondering.

Why has that one tweet gained so much traction as fact ?

• Because it’s a tweet from a Sky Sports News journalist that contains a lot of realistic sounding detail.

I’d be surprised if it doesn’t turn out to be true.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Just wondering.

Why has that one tweet gained so much traction as fact ?

Two separate Sky Sports News journos are reporting it - and Uche is the only senior player not in any of the photos from the first day back at training.

• Interesting though regards Wheeler as a striker. I would put Horgan forward as an alternative too