Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:
    My favourite excuse

1. Bungle from Rainbow (his coke addiction is causing confusion in the Quantuma offices, thus preventing Derby's takeover)

Bungle was a coke fiend? I thought the weirdest thing about him was that he walked around in the nude all day, but then put on pyjamas to go to bed.

• I blame Wordle

• @TwinBrother said:

@Guppys_Left_Leg said:
    My favourite excuse

1. Bungle from Rainbow (his coke addiction is causing confusion in the Quantuma offices, thus preventing Derby's takeover)

Bungle was a coke fiend? I thought the weirdest thing about him was that he walked around in the nude all day, but then put on pyjamas to go to bed.

It’s not just me then

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@TwinBrother said:

@Guppys_Left_Leg said:
    My favourite excuse

It’s not just me then

Coke fiend?

• @StrongestTeam said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

@TwinBrother said:

@Guppys_Left_Leg said:
    My favourite excuse

It’s not just me then

Coke fiend?

I’m more of a Vimto man myself

• For some strange reason, the word Vimto came into my head the other day and I seem to recall that it was a mid 20th century fizzy drink, competing with Tizer and other fizzy drinks that I’d have to google to recall. Back then it didn’t occur to me that Tizer was a reduction (?) of ‘appetiser’ - the zee possibly betraying American origins.

• @micra said:
    For some strange reason, the word Vimto came into my head the other day and I seem to recall that it was a mid 20th century fizzy drink, competing with Tizer and other fizzy drinks that I’d have to google to recall. Back then it didn’t occur to me that Tizer was a reduction (?) of ‘appetiser’ - the zee possibly betraying American origins.

I can confirm Vimto is still going strong @micra and I found out the other day it’s quite popular in islamic countries where they drink it in the evening after fasting but I haven’t seen Tizer in a while

• Thanks @MorrisItal_ .

I’ve been flicking between the Derby game and the one at Villa Park. Commentators, especially the Brummie one who sounds like he’s straining at stool, seem very keen for Derby to survive.

Yeeha - Alsopp no chance. Come on you sky blues.

• Vimto was invented in Manchester in the early 20th century and has links with the temperance movement. If you happen to be on the train between Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Oxford Road, and look north out if the window you might be able to catch a glimpse of the Vimto sculpture in Vimto park, next to some University of Manchester buildings.

I can’t tell you anything about Tizer though.

• I was always partial to a bottle of Cresta ("it's frothy, man"). Even as a child is was phenomenally sweet. Probably a week's worth of sugar in every mouthful.

• 8 points from safety after Reading won.

• Don't really like Reading, but so glad they won today

• I’d much rather Reading went down than Derby.

• edited March 2022

@floyd said:
    I’d much rather Reading went down than Derby.

Why?! Reading may be the margherita pizza of football clubs, but they didn't cheat us out of a place in the Championship and their fans aren't entitled arseholes trying to drag Wycombe's name through the mud. If Derby don't go down, it will be a travesty (if they even still exist come May).

• @floyd said:

100%

• @floyd said:

Under normal circumstances I'd agree, but the amount of shit Derby have thrown at us this season no, feck em

• Derby cheated us out of probably at least three seasons in the Championship, and Wycombe fans are already dying without ever seeing us live in the second tier. We may get back up, but there is no guarantee. If we don't, it will be a season that completely altered the trajectory of our club.

Yes, I know, "let it go", but as we are talking about who we want relegated, I am just throwing my reasons out there.

• edited March 2022

Don't worry @Shev, no true Wycombe fan should be 'letting it go'. I fully expect us to get back to the Championship in the very near future, but that doesn't mean we should just forget the injustice of 2020/21.

• The ideal relegation combo would of course be PBoro, Derby and Reading but if one have to stay up it has to be Reading.

Hopefully for a nice close away for us next year!

• @Shev said:
    Derby cheated us out of probably at least three seasons in the Championship, and Wycombe fans are already dying without ever seeing us live in the second tier. We may get back up, but there is no guarantee. If we don't, it will be a season that completely altered the trajectory of our club.

Yes, I know, "let it go", but as we are talking about who we want relegated, I am just throwing my reasons out there.

I still don't get the "Derby cheated us out of a place in the championship" line. I've seen nothing that remotely proves what they did was the difference between gaining enough points to stay up or go down. They were shit

• It’s not a question of proving to you or any other observer whether breaking FFP rules resulted in their points tally appreciating by a single point, it’s simply a fact that they broke the rules and a fact that they gamed the appeals system to kick the can down the road to avoid the penalty applying to the year in question.

• It's pretty clear they've done wrong. Hence the points deduction!

• But what club would not have done that in their position?

• @Malone said:
    It's pretty clear they've done wrong. Hence the points deduction!

Who's saying otherwise?

• It's not about parsing out how/whether the cheating gained an advantage, it's about the cheating not being punished, which is am off-field advantage, as it were. I suppose you can lay some of that at the door of the EFL, but they did not do the cheating, just the procrastinating.

• Basically, cheating is an attempt to illicitly gain an advantage. Whether or not the advantage is clearly gained should be immaterial.

• @Shev said:
    It's not about parsing out how/whether the cheating gained an advantage, it's about the cheating not being punished, which is am off-field advantage, as it were. I suppose you can lay some of that at the door of the EFL, but they did not do the cheating, just the procrastinating.

But it has been punished

• Just getting boring now. I hope we go up and Derby come down...but mainly that we go up.

• @micra said:
    For some strange reason, the word Vimto came into my head the other day and I seem to recall that it was a mid 20th century fizzy drink, competing with Tizer and other fizzy drinks that I’d have to google to recall. Back then it didn’t occur to me that Tizer was a reduction (?) of ‘appetiser’ - the zee possibly betraying American origins.

I'm sure your good lady wife will know, if you don't already, but Tizer in Ireland is called "red lemonade". My Gran used to drink it with a brandy, by the bucket load btw! I'm sure she had died years before her confirmed date, it's just that she was preserved in alcohol!

• @eric_plant said:

@Shev said:
    It's not about parsing out how/whether the cheating gained an advantage, it's about the cheating not being punished, which is am off-field advantage, as it were. I suppose you can lay some of that at the door of the EFL, but they did not do the cheating, just the procrastinating.

But it has been punished

Agreed. Just after a delay that relegated us.