Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @carrickblue - thanks. I did wonder if you knew, as well as wanting to raise a smile.
    It will be interesting to see how much information is shared about the progress the administrators have or haven't made and how much they are charging for this progress.

• Previous reports were around £1m per month in administrator fees, whether that was guestimate or hard data I cannot say as I can no longer find the report that I saw. I don't expect that the 6month date being passed will bring any new information into the public domain, most likely a combination of NDAs, confidentiality requirements being invoked and Mel Morris' status as majority creditor will serve to allow any details to be kept private. Can't see HMRC going public with any information that they receive, can't see Middlesborough doing so either if an understanding has already been reached with them and even if Wycombe were to get hold of the info (doubtful if a claim has yet to be lodged), Rob Couhig is as discreet about his side of the business as Gareth Ainsworth is with squad fitness. In short, I reckon that nobody should be holding their breath.

• @Ed_ I doubt that Quantuma or any of the major creditors would “leak” information. Wondering though if smaller local businesses owed a few grand each might let things slip if they hear that they might get 15p in the pound while Quantuma pocket several million

• @carrickblue It’s an interesting angle, I can see a circumstance where the settlement offered might be less valuable than a dossier absentmindedly left on an adjacent seat as the recipient hurridlly rushes off the train before it pulls away from the passenger’s stop.

• Quantuma really are delaying the inevitable. Another loss again yesterday. There's a reason no reputable administrators wanted the gig. Quantuma don't have a clue what they're doing and they're making a lot of money from the ongoing fiasco... EFL should've turned the screw a lot sooner.

So much incompetence in these regulatory bodies.

• edited March 2022

Is the EFL a regulatory body? discuss.

• It isn’t

• Sort of, to a point, but only as a members club with agreed rules. What is often "the EFLs fault" is in effect the club's fault collectively. Either by being selfish or not challenging their administrators.

• Lech Poznam should waive the transfer monies owed because blah blah football family blah blah.

• Any deadlines coming up for everyone to ignore?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Any deadlines coming up for everyone to ignore?

What's the f'ing point? The administrator has said imminent for weeks now. So I assume they use geological time scales rather than GMT

• edited March 2022

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

What's the f'ing point? The administrator has said imminent for weeks now. So I assume they use geological time scales rather than GMT

I believe the next ice age will be here before a sale goes through!

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

I believe the next ice age will be here before a sale goes through!

That would place a whole new meaning on the term 'frozen assets'!

• I believe that the only deadline that the Mel Morris appointed 'Adminstrators' are working to is the end of the season. I believe they can't start next season in Administration. Whether WR Derby County have a buyer depends upon which division they are playing in next season. Hanging on worked for them last season and the same trick is being tried again.

• edited March 2022

As far as I know, they can start next season in admin as they didn't start this season in admin - but you can't start two consecutive seasons in admin. So, in theory, this could go on for the best part of another 18 months?

• Those are EFL rules, but company law dictates that you cannot stay in administration indefinitely. I believe the limit is 12 months, with the administrators having recourse to another 6 months upon successful application to the courts.

• @Ed_ said:
    Those are EFL rules, but company law dictates that you cannot stay in administration indefinitely. I believe the limit is 12 months, with the administrators having recourse to another 6 months upon successful application to the courts.

If they don’t come out of administration by the new season don’t they get a 15 point deduction? Obviously that depends on them accepting the deduction or even accepting relegation. They might chose not to play the last game of the season but promise to do it later to avoid going down all together.

• edited March 2022

@Ed_ said:
    Those are EFL rules, but company law dictates that you cannot stay in administration indefinitely. I believe the limit is 12 months, with the administrators having recourse to another 6 months upon successful application to the courts.

I'm sure they'll find a way around that

• ps - having exposed how embarrassingly credulous the EFL were in January, I feel that more concrete proof that they are able to fund the coming season will be asked of them at the end of this current campaign. I would be surprised if as much time as Bury were given will be on offer to them as the other members will want to avoid a 23 team division. In such a scenario, the question of who gets moved up to League One is the next bun-fight to look forward to - would be be the team just relegated through finishing 20th or would it be the losing finalist from the play-off, or would the team finishing 4th in League Two (if not a finalist) have a shout? Then the same bun-fight with the team dropping out of the league vs the next best PNLer, repeat until tier 7 ....

• pps - if all this hasn't been sorted out by then, could be an interesting EFL AGM. Couldn't find a firm date so not sure if it has been announced yet but it must be sometime in May. WanderersTV should stream it, I'd pay handsomely to be a fly on that particular wall.

• I’ve always thought that the reason the EFL didn’t relegate Derby last season is because they thought they’d go straight down again into L2. So it would be ironic if they started next season in L1 on -15.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Ed_ said:

If they don’t come out of administration by the new season don’t they get a 15 point deduction? Obviously that depends on them accepting the deduction or even accepting relegation. They might chose not to play the last game of the season but promise to do it later to avoid going down all together.

Or not play the last few games and use PPG to save them getting relegated!

• Forest Forum has 'Ze List' as an ongoing phenomenon, which details everyone to blame for Derby's predicament (apart from themselves, of course).

https://www.forestforum.co.uk/threads/44511-The-demise-of-Wayne-Rooney-s-D***y-County-(in-Administration)-(and-denial)/page944

This thread is worth reading at length for a laugh.

• I loved this:
    The new and improved official Derby County blame list:
    1. The EFL
    2. Steve Gibson
    3. Neil Bausor
    4. Middlesbrough
    5. Rob Couhig
    6. Wycombe
    7. Covid
    8. The ticket office
    9. The HMRC
    10. Nicholas Randall
    11. Trevor Birch
    12. Darren Bent
    13. Steve McClaren
    14. Danny Higginbotham
    15. Richard Keogh
    16. The European Super League
    17. Sky Sports
    18. The Football League paper
    19. Burton Albion
    20. Derby City Council
    21. Mind (the mental health charity)
    22. Opposition fans
    23. The taxpayer
    24. Derby's creditors
    25. Forest fans that sit in the Upper Bridgford
    26. Rick Parry
    27. Brice Samba
    28. Jack Colback
    29. Simon Jordan
    30. ITV Digital
    31. Setanta
    32. Brian Clough
    33. Juventus
    34. Tim Robinson
    35. Lewis Grabban
    36. Brennan Johnson
    37. Kenny Burns
    38. Nigel Clough
    39. Billy Davies
    40. LTLF
    41. Rockabilly and his curse
    42. Derby fans (whilst also being blameless at the same time)
    43. Stan Collymore
    44. Leeds United
    45. Ed Dawes
    46. Ugg (the caveman that created football, leading to the creation of the EFL)
    47. Scott McKenna (for heading aeroplanes away that may contain investors, thus preventing Derby's takeover)
    48. OK SpidermAndy! (for upsetting Derby fans by querying how long it will be before Derby fans nick Liverpool's "You'll Never Walk Alone" chant)
    49. John Percy
    50. Rob Dorsett
    51. FFSForest (a Twitter user who pointed out how the absence of Derby's "unreal" supporters this season has cost them around £5m, which would help them complete the season. Clearly an EFL stooge!)
    52. 166,000 empty seats (probably the fault of the seat manufacturer, rather than their "unreal" fans though)
    53. Forest selling players to Olympiacos
    54. Liverpool fans, Sheffield police and the Hillsboro/Govt report (making stadiums all seater prevented them from selling 60k every game)
    55. Lyle Taylor
    56. Adrian Durham
    57. Luke Plange and Crystal Palace
    58. Matt Donohue
    59. Duane Holmes
    60. Beardo7 and his £10 bet
    61. Holland & Barrett
    62. Bobby Zamora
    63. Goalposts
    64. Kim Leck
    65. Aston Villa
    66. Myself
    67. The Mysterons
    68. Captain Black
    69. Shaggy
    70. The Queen
    71. RealRed85
    72. Billingham Synthonia FC
    73. Text messages
    74. Congo_red (for daring to use facts)
    75. Chevin Homes (the "preferred" partner in property)
    76. Gianluca Di Marzio
    77. Pozzo family (Udinese/Watford)
    78. Brexit
    79. Derby's Category 1 academy
    80. Adam Hart-Davis
    81. Birmingham City fans
    82. Derby forum users Gritstone Tup and Mucker1884 (for breaking away from the hive mind and going against the narrative)
    83. Chris Kirchner
    84. Chris Doidge (blasphemous BBC Radio Derby presenter)
    85. Daniel Taylor
    86. Hasbro
    87. From Software
    88. Atari
    89. 32 Red
    90. Sheffield Wednesday fans
    91. Bouncer the dog
    92. Sam Longson
    93. Alcohol
    94. Leicester City
    95. MaxiRobriguez
    96. The MLS
    97. The Joiners Arms in Quarndon
    98. Highways England
    99. Middlesbrough fans bringing facts onto Derby's forum
    100. Ze list
    101. Darren Huckerby
    102. Del Boy and Rodney
    103. Harry Enfield
    104. Jeremy Simpson
    105. Mason Bennett
    106. Tom Lawrence
    107. Ball boys
    108. Scott Malone
    109. Tubby pitch invaders
    110. Kenny Loggins
    111. Nathan Thompson
    112. Vladimir Putin
    113. MPs
    114. "Fake" deadlines
    115. The Derby Telegraph
    116. The Twitter user @derbyram76 (aka Leitrim Ram) (for creating his own version of ze list)
    117. Boris Johnson
    118. Daleks
    119. Derbyshire Mortgage Services (blasphemous mortgage firm)
    120. Pancake day
    121. Doctor Who and their companions
    122. I'm Red Till Dead
    123. BBC Radio Derby
    124. Colin Fray
    125. Uche Ikpeazu
    126. Sky Bet
    127. Mitchell and Webb
    128. Cardiff City fans
    129. Bungle from Rainbow (his coke addiction is causing confusion in the Quantuma offices, thus preventing Derby's takeover)
    130. Notcher
    131. Whoever at Nottingham Forest is asking the EFL to lobby FIFA to let players at Russian clubs walk away from their contracts
    132. Chelsea
    133. DC Comics
    134. Preston North End
    135. Billy Joel
    136. Igor Novikov
    137. Ben Smyth (treacherous "Derby fan" on Twitter slandering Derby's "amazing" supporters)
    138. Joel Moore (another Derby traitor on Twitter who is going against the "Fight 'till the end" narrative)
    139. Lech Poznan (for having the audacity to ask for money owed to them)
    140. Kieran Maguire
    141. Truth
    142. HBB
    143. Evangelos Marinakis
    144. David (moderator on the DCFC Fans forum)
    145. "Interested parties"

• My favourite excuse

1. Bungle from Rainbow (his coke addiction is causing confusion in the Quantuma offices, thus preventing Derby's takeover)
  • Disappointed we only make 5 and 6 in the charts.

• @mooneyman said:
    Disappointed we only make 5 and 6 in the charts.

Yes but we're in the Playoffs for full blame.

• Why is Margaret Thatcher not in that list? You can blame everything that is wrong now on something she did.