Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol City

Comments

• If you think you know better than a manager who sees the players 4 days a week in training, you must have rocks in your head.

This is a club that could have plummeted to league 2 and below 18 months ago. We were promoted with set pieces and getting it to Bayo, why do you think it would possibly change in a few months with pretty much the same side?

Of course we'll go down this season, anyone that expected anything else mustn't have seen us for the last 2 years.

But we aren't getting blown away, we're competitive all the way, and are still the club that defied all the odds to get promoted in the first place... not just this year, but from League 2 too.

And Bayo did his job well today, for the record.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    If you think you know better than a manager who sees the players 4 days a week in training, you must have rocks in your head.

This is a club that could have plummeted to league 2 and below 18 months ago. We were promoted with set pieces and getting it to Bayo, why do you think it would possibly change in a few months with pretty much the same side?

Of course we'll go down this season, anyone that expected anything else mustn't have seen us for the last 2 years.

But we aren't getting blown away, we're competitive all the way, and are still the club that defied all the odds to get promoted in the first place... not just this year, but from League 2 too.

And Bayo did his job well today, for the record.

Spot on (although I'm not writing the season off just yet).

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Samuel is someone we'd want in League One and is contracted until 2022, so he'd only go out on loan, if at all. Phillips is out of contract in the summer, but we might keep him on if we go down - but probably off the back of a good loan spell in at least League Two, which I think he's perfectly capable of. Parker is also out of contract in the summer, but there's clearly no future for him here - maybe a mutual termination? I'd put Pattison in the same bracket as Phillips but maybe a League One loan.

Pretty spot on to me.
    Samuel may be next to no threat in this league but we've seen he's more than useful in league 1.

We really need to work out if Uche will be any sort of regular threat or not, as life after Bayo looks closer than it ever has recently unfortunately.

• Have I missed something or has anybody mentioned that Freeman’s none appearance may be a precaution to secure a transfer in the upcoming January window?

• On second thoughts, Phillips might hack it in League One on loan - I'm sure he'd have gone to League Two if the window had still been open, and he's been doing really well at Aldershot from the sound of it.

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Samuel is someone we'd want in League One and is contracted until 2022, so he'd only go out on loan, if at all. Phillips is out of contract in the summer, but we might keep him on if we go down - but probably off the back of a good loan spell in at least League Two, which I think he's perfectly capable of. Parker is also out of contract in the summer, but there's clearly no future for him here - maybe a mutual termination? I'd put Pattison in the same bracket as Phillips but maybe a League One loan.

Pretty spot on to me.
    Samuel may be next to no threat in this league but we've seen he's more than useful in league 1.

We really need to work out if Uche will be any sort of regular threat or not, as life after Bayo looks closer than it ever has recently unfortunately.

Giroud didn't feature for Chelsea today. Trying to force a move to the superior Blues? ?

• edited December 2020

Freeman hasn't featured that often this season. So being squeezed off the bench the odd game doesn't necessarily mean some big plot does it?!

• @Malone said:
    Freeman hasn't featured that often this season. So being squeezed off the bench the odd game doesn't necessarily mean some big plot does it?!

Kinda does when he was the best player in the previous game and then gets dropped out the squad when we put out a side with only one midfielder like we did when we literally only had one midfielder.

• We presumably brought in Uche for the future so sooner or later we will start having to find a way to play that capitalises on his strengths looking at (probably/possibly) league 1. I’m not sure that developing that in the heat of 2 games a week when you are struggling to get results is going to be easy.

I get the deja vu parallels and it does feel that we are sticking with it because GA/RD see that as our best hope of remaining in games but probably with their fingers crossed behind their backs.

My fear at the start of the season would that we would regularly get blown away by better quality opposition, but that really hasn’t happened, which is somehow, and unexpectedly, frustrating that we haven’t picked up more points

• @Shev said:
    For me, the obvious plan B for creativity is either Freeman or Mehmeti starting every week (one replacing the other if not effective). We need to create opportunities by dribbling into the box at times, and start attacks more effectively through the middle too.

I agree it should be a meritocracy. I still like the idea of Bayo or Uche usually starting, but amending the style of play to avoid just lumping it in their vicinity.

For me, besides the obvious in defense, the current meritocracy with their immediate backups/substitutes would be:

Thompson (Gape or Adeniran)
    Freeman (Mehmeti)
    Wheeler (Fred)
    McLeary (Horgan)
    Bayo (Uche)
    Kashket (Samuel)

Agree 100% with every word of this post.

• Read the comments on today’s game with interest. Some comments I think are spot on, others wide of the mark but it’s a game of opinions, as they say.
    However, the suggestion that Gareth should move aside for Dobbo in January was certainly an eye-raiser. Those two work as a team and Gareth had almost as much input in the two games he missed as he has had in any other game.
    Also, I hold my hand up on getting Josh Knight’s first name wrong in the commentary today. Have just commentated on Derby’s Jason Knight and his name was obviously in my memory bank.

• Enjoyed the commentary today @glasshalffull, and hats off both for stepping in in Phil’s absence and for sitting through that.

• Thanks, and even on the bad days it’s still a privilege to be present at games when there are thousands not allowed to attend.

• I echo the praise for @glasshalffull today. Really good commentary as always and sticking the right side of partisan

• @glasshalffull said:
    Thanks, and even on the bad days it’s still a privilege to be present at games when there are thousands not allowed to attend.

Enjoyed the commentary today and appreciate the thoughts about us who cannot attend. In my opinion it's not mentioned enough any more by those who do get to see matches live.
    I honestly think the result would have been different today with a crowd.

• edited December 2020

I'm afraid I just don't buy that Gareth was involved for those matches. The man had just had back surgery, for goodness sake. He's not superhuman. He was lying prostrate high on tranquillisers. I'm sure he was consulted by Dobbo but I'm also sure he said something along the lines of, 'Dobbo, I trust you, you take the reins for the moment'.

It's not like those two victories were flukes either. We played a different style, a proper 442, something we've only seen glimpses of since.

• Great commentary today Alan and you are turning my sceptical sons around. They think you are too biased when you are alongside Phil.

Our new joke with you on the mike is, “And Wycombe fans may remember Player X who came on as substitute for Forest Green against Wycombe five years ago.” Great research on every opposition player!

• @aloysius said:
    I'm afraid I just don't buy that Gareth was involved for those matches. The man had just had back surgery, for goodness sake. He's not superhuman. He was lying prostrate high on tranquillisers. I'm sure he was consulted by Dobbo but I'm also sure he said something along the lines of, 'Dobbo, I trust you, you take the reins for the moment'.

It's not like those two victories were flukes either. We played a different style, a proper 442, something we've only seen glimpses of since.

Sorry, but you are wrong. I can assure you that Gareth was very much involved in team selection and tactics for the two games in question. I point this out without wishing to demean the role that Dobbo played in those wins, but this is fact, not speculation.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Great commentary today Alan and you are turning my sceptical sons around. They think you are too biased when you are alongside Phil.

Our new joke with you on the mike is, “And Wycombe fans may remember Player X who came on as substitute for Forest Green against Wycombe five years ago.” Great research on every opposition player!

Thanks. Didn’t get the chance to mention it today, but Bristol City sub Sam Bell is the son of former Wycombe player Mickey Bell.

• I may be looking through rose tinted spectacles but Fred was given little to no ball today compared to Horgan, McCleary and Kashket. He did his defensive duty well. For the first goal he was marking the player behind him and came forward after Martin lost the centre backs and JJ. Not sure that was on Fred.

Far too often there was little end product from us as a whole, heads down and running trying to create a moment of brilliance rather than using the ball or
    Looking for a short pass. When we did cross we didn’t have enough players in the box and their centre backs went two on one with Bayo.

The long ball over the top to Kashket is being over used and does not work. When he does get the ball there’s no-one near him for him to cross to.

Far too often Horgan went searching for the ball, didn’t get there in time and they just popped a pass into the middle of the park leaving our back four and Thompson woefully exposed. We then had five players sprinting back. This also has an impact on those attacking players to attack, as they’re knackered chasing from end to end.

If GA wants those three to start, then fine but don’t pick Fred as well, get another centre mid on to support Thompson. Give us the shape and balance we need to protect the defence and not over complicate the attack.

We haven’t played 4-3-3 for most of the season. It was 4-1-3-2 today. Most of the time we’ve had 2 up front with Bayo and Kashket.

For all Ainsworth ability to motivate etc he quite often gets the basic shape wrong or persevere too long with a particular idea. Last season he stuck with a plan the whole year and put the players into the plan. One that worked. This season he’s sticking to a plan which clearly isn’t working. You cannot continue to pick 5 attackers at this level, he’s picking individuals hoping it comes off.

I will say in his defence the injuries to Gaoe, Thompson and Adeniran have clearly given us an issue.

• Still wondering why Uche couldn't have have a run out for 20 minutes today. Clearly Bayo has been running on empty for too long after 65 minutes or so. Assuming there is a fitness/injury issue with Uche, could there possibly have been an argument for throwing Taffazoli on upfront if we are going to stick with lumping it forwards?

• Why did GA not throw Uche on ? Bayo was clearly struggling. Uche was one of our ‘ star ‘ signings. Is Uche another Parker?

• edited December 2020

@Commoner said:
    I may be looking through rose tinted spectacles but Fred was given little to no ball today compared to Horgan, McCleary and Kashket. He did his defensive duty well. For the first goal he was marking the player behind him and came forward after Martin lost the centre backs and JJ. Not sure that was on Fred.

Far too often there was little end product from us as a whole, heads down and running trying to create a moment of brilliance rather than using the ball or
    Looking for a short pass. When we did cross we didn’t have enough players in the box and their centre backs went two on one with Bayo.

The long ball over the top to Kashket is being over used and does not work. When he does get the ball there’s no-one near him for him to cross to.

Far too often Horgan went searching for the ball, didn’t get there in time and they just popped a pass into the middle of the park leaving our back four and Thompson woefully exposed. We then had five players sprinting back. This also has an impact on those attacking players to attack, as they’re knackered chasing from end to end.

If GA wants those three to start, then fine but don’t pick Fred as well, get another centre mid on to support Thompson. Give us the shape and balance we need to protect the defence and not over complicate the attack.

We haven’t played 4-3-3 for most of the season. It was 4-1-3-2 today. Most of the time we’ve had 2 up front with Bayo and Kashket.

For all Ainsworth ability to motivate etc he quite often gets the basic shape wrong or persevere too long with a particular idea. Last season he stuck with a plan the whole year and put the players into the plan. One that worked. This season he’s sticking to a plan which clearly isn’t working. You cannot continue to pick 5 attackers at this level, he’s picking individuals hoping it comes off.

I will say in his defence the injuries to Gaoe, Thompson and Adeniran have clearly given us an issue.

This is why I'm interested to see if we try Uche as a lone striker - I think he'd be up to it from the little we've seen so far. It would make room for a solid base with pretty much any three of McCleary/Horgan/Fred/Wheeler/Kashket/Mehmeti in front.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2020

Pete C literally said we're prepared to yo-yo (someone posted it on here, but I can't find it when I search for it). Rotherham are a better example than Barnsley as they're closer to us in terms of size/budget/whatever - and they've stood by their manager and stuck rigidly to a sustainable financial plan. Regardless of what happens this season, I don't think it will be our only one in the Championship.

• I think it’s a bit unfair to label the posts on here as trolling. We can all agree and disagree on players, selection, tactics and performances. That’s the point of the site.

And comparing us to Barnsley when their owners have over $9 billion might be a stretch. So yo yo as an aspiration ? This is our yo. I doubt if I will see another so let’s make it count one and all.

• The idea that Dobbo went his own way for those 2 wins certainly has to be one of the most insulting theories we've had on here this last few years.

• I believe the expression is. POTD.

• @glasshalffull said:

@aloysius said:

Sorry, but you are wrong. I can assure you that Gareth was very much involved in team selection and tactics for the two games in question. I point this out without wishing to demean the role that Dobbo played in those wins, but this is fact, not speculation.

Goodness, you were in the hospital room alongside Gareth and Dobbo, were you, as the discussions took place? Alan, I enjoyed your commentary today, you're good at it. But you must know by now that just because you're told something - even if it's by Gareth and Dobbo themselves - it doesn't make it fact. Any more than being told Nick Freeman is out injured means that it is so.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Pete C literally said we're prepared to yo-yo (someone posted it on here, but I can't find it when I search for it). Rotherham are a better example than Barnsley as they're closer to us in terms of size/budget/whatever - and they've stood by their manager and stuck rigidly to a sustainable financial plan. Regardless of what happens this season, I don't think it will be our only one in the Championship.

I think I’ve posted this here before, but this is from Close Quarters:
    “ One of those might be promotion to the Championship. Was Wycombe ready for that? ‘Fuck yes, we’re ready.’ How? ‘Because we’re prepared to yo-yo.’ The idea was that should Wycombe spend one season a level up they would budget for an immediate return to League One. ‘But nothing is impossible. The goal would be to try to achieve survival with the lowest budget in the goddamned history of the Championship.’”