Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol City

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:

@drcongo said:
    Why not play him now though? He’s scored as many goals as Bayo this season.

Cause he doesn't improve the team. And Uche is the Bayo alternative obviously.

In the tiny bit we have seen of Parker I think he very much does improve the team just by being not Bayo so the rest of the team doesn’t immediately smack the ball at him as soon as it comes near them.

• If Uche hasn't been earmarked to start on Tuesday and Bayo starts that one too it'll be very surprising.

• Surely Freeman was injured wasn’t he? Based on what we’ve seen in recent matches, it can’t be humanely possible to have chosen Fred to start today and Freeman not make a 9 man bench can it????

• So what do we need to do to turn this around? The transfer window is open soon so what do we need? We certainly need more goal threat and the lump up to Bayo tactic is not working.
    We currently look very toothless so do we need a couple of new strikers to provide sharpness and a fresh goal threat?
    Although things look bad now we are still only 4 points off safety and we are not getting hammered in any game, so a few quality players could turn the tide in our favour.

• @TheatreOfChairs said:
    Surely Freeman was injured wasn’t he? Based on what we’ve seen in recent matches, it can’t be humanely possible to have chosen Fred to start today and Freeman not make a 9 man bench can it????

Baffling. And the for the club to claim an injury. Something smells.

• @drcongo said:

@TheatreOfChairs said:
    Surely Freeman was injured wasn’t he? Based on what we’ve seen in recent matches, it can’t be humanely possible to have chosen Fred to start today and Freeman not make a 9 man bench can it????

Baffling. And the for the club to claim an injury. Something smells.

How "good" is the "good authority"?

• Happy New Year Everybody.

• I'm not as convinced as some that the tactics are wrong. Today we were deservedly beaten, but I think we all agree that we have been competitive in the vast majority of games we have played and we should have several more points that we have.

Poor finishing has been an issue, as has the odd individual error in otherwise solid performances. These are not tactic related. If we were being outplayed week after week, then a rethink of tactics might be required, but a change in tactics may well lead to us being less competitive.

• This is fun! Wasn’t ‘lucky’ enough to be able to watch the game today, but from what’s being said it does seem to have just been a repeat so doubt I’ve missed much.

Starting to think @glasshalffull’s comment about our obsession with our attack failing may have more weight than I originally credited. We are giving away too many soft goals that we weren’t a few weeks ago when Stewart was playing and it’s costing us badly. It must also give teams a lot of confidence that they’ll always score against us.

We need Stewart back sooner rather than later

• According to sofastats, we played 81 long balls today and 36 crosses (zero of which landed). If we call that an average, we’ve hit it at Bayo somewhere north of 20000 times so far this season. If it was effective, you’d expect it to lead to more than 12 goals.

• Maths isn't my strong point, but I doubt we've hit north of 20000 at Bayo!

• @drcongo said:
    According to sofastats, we played 81 long balls today and 36 crosses (zero of which landed). If we call that an average, we’ve hit it at Bayo somewhere north of 20000 times so far this season. If it was effective, you’d expect it to lead to more than 12 goals.

Do you mean SofaScore? Cause I don't think they classify long balls properly. I think they lump them in with long passes - which aren't aimless punts - so it might give a skewed perception.

• And anything towards Bayo is aimless in this context cause the ball's usually only pumped into his rough vicinity.

• @bookertease said:
    This is fun! Wasn’t ‘lucky’ enough to be able to watch the game today, but from what’s being said it does seem to have just been a repeat so doubt I’ve missed much.

Starting to think @glasshalffull’s comment about our obsession with our attack failing may have more weight than I originally credited. We are giving away too many soft goals that we weren’t a few weeks ago when Stewart was playing and it’s costing us badly. It must also give teams a lot of confidence that they’ll always score against us.

We need Stewart back sooner rather than later

Stewart was meant to have a chance of playing that next game. Yet 3-4 games on all talk about him as disappeared.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    So what do we need to do to turn this around? The transfer window is open soon so what do we need? We certainly need more goal threat and the lump up to Bayo tactic is not working.
    We currently look very toothless so do we need a couple of new strikers to provide sharpness and a fresh goal threat?
    Although things look bad now we are still only 4 points off safety and we are not getting hammered in any game, so a few quality players could turn the tide in our favour.

Let players who deliver zero when selected not start the next game would be a start. Fred I’m afraid is the now the Milwall Fred and not the Wycombe Fred. Horgan does not deserve a start ahead of others. Let’s begin there. How the manager deals with egos and bottom lips is down to him and Dobbo. A good example is Thompson; misses six games and come straight back and makes himself undroppable AGAIN. Last season he was 3rd choice for the position. Others are good enough but are not applied enough. Our strikers are having chances maybe some technical work would help them be able to call themselves Championship strikers on their social media with a degree of honesty.

• Thompson aside I don't think anyone in front of the defence has come close to undroppable status.

Horgan should be that but it's been slowly becoming apparent he's not the gamechanger we all wished for.

• Clearly GA thinks Bayo is our only option , keeping him on when he obviously knackered. Surely Uche could have played some minutes. Parker must have run over GA’s cat or something more sinister ,not to get a look in. Need to find an alternative to a 38 year old.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    I'm not as convinced as some that the tactics are wrong. Today we were deservedly beaten, but I think we all agree that we have been competitive in the vast majority of games we have played and we should have several more points that we have.

Poor finishing has been an issue, as has the odd individual error in otherwise solid performances. These are not tactic related. If we were being outplayed week after week, then a rethink of tactics might be required, but a change in tactics may well lead to us being less competitive.

Yep

• Horgan was extremely frustrating today but he still sees so much of the ball, works hard and still put in some great crosses as well as all the dross. As opposed to the completely anonymous Fred, who's confidence is clearly shot to pieces.

• @Malone said:
    Thompson aside I don't think anyone in front of the defence has come close to undroppable status.

Horgan should be that but it's been slowly becoming apparent he's not the gamechanger we all wished for.

Adeniran and Wheeler

• Fred plays best when he's angry. All we need is Marcus Bean and some crickets (locusts?).

Fred plays best when he's angry. All we need is Marcus Bean and some crickets (locusts?).

Make him watch one of his performances and then hopefully he will feel the same as us and it will do the trick.

@Malone said:
    Thompson aside I don't think anyone in front of the defence has come close to undroppable status.

Adeniran and Wheeler

Wheeler is frequently dropped/rested. Like today!

And Adeniran has barely featured for a month or so unfortunately as his start was superb.

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

Adeniran and Wheeler

Wheeler is frequently dropped/rested. Like today!

And Adeniran has barely featured for a month or so unfortunately as his start was superb.

As close to undroppable as you're going to get I think. But yeah, Thompson is the only one who absolutely HAS to start when fit.

• For me, the obvious plan B for creativity is either Freeman or Mehmeti starting every week (one replacing the other if not effective). We need to create opportunities by dribbling into the box at times, and start attacks more effectively through the middle too.

I agree it should be a meritocracy. I still like the idea of Bayo or Uche usually starting, but amending the style of play to avoid just lumping it in their vicinity.

For me, besides the obvious in defense, the current meritocracy with their immediate backups/substitutes would be:

Thompson (Gape or Adeniran)
    Freeman (Mehmeti)
    Wheeler (Fred)
    McLeary (Horgan)
    Bayo (Uche)
    Kashket (Samuel)

• edited December 2020

Mehmeti and Samuel are too different from Freeman and Kashket (the latter in particular!) to be considered direct back-ups.

• edited December 2020

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    So what do we need to do to turn this around? The transfer window is open soon so what do we need? We certainly need more goal threat and the lump up to Bayo tactic is not working.

Gaz said he wants at least two defenders (I hope that doesn't mean Knight is off - keeping him needs to be a priority) and seemed to suggest he wants a striker. So we'd need to offload three - one of whom would presumably be Phillips again. The squad is full, so it has to be one in, one out unless it's a permanent signing under 21.

• So putting yourselves in the managers position what would you all do?
    Bring in new blood?
    Change to 4-4-2 from 4-3-3?
    As I said previously we are not losing by big margins but the way things are going we will go down with a whimper if things don’t change.
    So, what is it that YOU Gasroomers would do if you were in the hot seat?

• It would seem that Parker has no future. Samuel has not cut it at this level (sadly). That’s two that will go next month surely. Philips on loan too. I’m not 100% convinced we need 2 defenders unless Stewart is properly crooked. Our top scorer last season was a complete freak even if it was joyous JJ was not gonna score 13 goals in the championship. So top, 2nd, 3rd on the shopping list is someone capable of scoring. A raw under 23 loan player is more likely than an established one. But us and everyone else I guess.

• edited December 2020

Samuel is someone we'd want in League One and is contracted until 2022, so he'd only go out on loan, if at all. Phillips is out of contract in the summer, but we might keep him on if we go down - but probably off the back of a good loan spell in at least League Two, which I think he's perfectly capable of. Parker is also out of contract in the summer, but there's clearly no future for him here - maybe a mutual termination? I'd put Pattison in the same bracket as Phillips but maybe a League One loan.