Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol City

Comments

• @Doober48 said:
    I imagine we will be relegated by the end of Feb unless we get a few players in ,stop playing bayo and Fred all game . I've had enough of "we have learned lessons bollocks" . We haven't because we keep getting beaten!! city should of been out of site by just after half time if they could shot straight ,I will leave it at that.

This whole copy and paste week after week ‘we have learned lessons...’ in the social media is total bollocks. We clearly don’t learn lessons when Fred, Bayo and Horgan are still in the starting line up and play the same way week after week. Fred has not played well since v Birmingham, Horgan is a fab talent but seems to have forgot what to do with the ball and Father Time has caught up with Bayo. Lesson learned

• So frustrating. It’s fingers crossed with the starting line up every week at the minute.
    He seems to want to get as many attacking options on which I think then nullifies us as they get in each other’s way.
    Fred didn’t really get into the game but more because no-one was passing to him first half and everything was going through Kashket, Horgan and McCleary. He made some cracking runs and just does not get picked out. 2nd half he was anonymous but again with 5 options he isn’t getting a look in, too many cooks.
    Horgan was terrible, bad decision after bad decision and no quality on the ball in the final third.
    We looked a bit better for a few minutes when Mehmeti came on as it meant we had 2 centre mids on, two wide men and two forwards. However, we end up getting overrun still.
    Last season we played 4-3-3 in attack and 4-5-1 in defence, with three centre mids in Gape, Thompson and Bloomfield. This made us combative and difficult to break down.
    This season GA seems to think Kashket is the answer and unfortunately I think it’s completely disrupting the balance of the team as he can only really play in a front two. We’re better suited to 4-5-1.
    The sooner we get back to picking at least two proper center midfielders the better.
    I feel so frustrated whenever the team gets announced at the minute, as it feels like we have an uphill battle before we even step onto the pitch.

• @Croider said:

@Malone said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    I'm off before all the positive Peter's fill up the forum... but sorry, we dont create enough chances, dont look like scoring anywhere near enough goals

Good night... here's hoping for Tuesday

Only 21 games in, competing well etc.. Only 2 wins away from safety etc etc

Those are literally the facts though.

For all our poor results, we still haven't reached the halfway point of the season and are only 2 games away from climbing out the relegation zone. It may not seem like it's just around the corner, but at some point we will win a game and the important point then is to put a run together, 2 in a row, 3 wins in 5.

We've won 2 games all season.

• Another 90 minutes with Bayo on the pitch and every player told to fire the ball at him. Another 90 minutes where not one of his flick-ons led to a shot on goal. There's been 1,000+ minutes now this season of get-the-ball-to-Bayo hoofball and that has not led directly to a single goal or a single assist. Once again, we combine a creative midfielder and a tricky winger playing the ball on the ground and dribbling into the box and it leads to a goal. That's the only statistic that matters to me, not the proportion of headers Bayo wins or that he's our most "creative" player.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I was always of the 'I think we will go down but won't be surprised if we pull off a miracle' outlook.

I might be surprised if we pull off the miracle now.

I thought that was most people's view. Obviously not. No-one can claim the players are not competing but it is obvious we do lack a quality game changer that most other teams at this level have. We're not yet totally adrift so hope springs...

• @aloysius said:
    Another 90 minutes with Bayo on the pitch and every player told to fire the ball at him. Another 90 minutes where not one of his flick-ons led to a shot on goal. There's been 1,000+ minutes now this season of get-the-ball-to-Bayo hoofball and that has not led directly to a single goal or a single assist. Once again, we combine a creative midfielder and a tricky winger playing the ball on the ground and dribbling into the box and it leads to a goal. That's the only statistic that matters to me, not the proportion of headers Bayo wins or that he's our most "creative" player.

Go on yourself!

@kiscokid said:
    I don’t think anyone’s criticising Bayo the man and the figurehead. But Bayo the player really needs a rest. He was poor today.

He really wasn't.

Just accept an opinion. I’m not calling yours out.

@HolmerBlue said:
    I'm off before all the positive Peter's fill up the forum... but sorry, we dont create enough chances, dont look like scoring anywhere near enough goals

How much do people realistically expect us to create? We're creating like a lower mid-table team, which is decent considering our comparative resources. We didn't create much today, but the wastefulness is the real issue overall.

We’re clearly creating the wrong sort of chances though aren’t we. Once again, when we finally did score today, it was because two players had the cheek to dribble it into the box and have a pop. If you do that, you might score, or get lucky on the rebound. A double scoring chance. If you keep swinging in the exact same cross to the exact same player who’s being marked out of the game with compete ease, then it’s not even a single chance, no matter what the stats tell you.

We’ve obviously got players with enough skill to bring the ball down, run at the defence and have a pop - but when one of the best players at doing exactly that is dropped from the match day squad when perfectly fit, the players are obviously being told not to. As Einstein said, the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. And unfortunately we’ve gone stark raving mad.

• @Commoner said:
    So frustrating. It’s fingers crossed with the starting line up every week at the minute.
    He seems to want to get as many attacking options on which I think then nullifies us as they get in each other’s way.
    Fred didn’t really get into the game but more because no-one was passing to him first half and everything was going through Kashket, Horgan and McCleary. He made some cracking runs and just does not get picked out. 2nd half he was anonymous but again with 5 options he isn’t getting a look in, too many cooks.
    Horgan was terrible, bad decision after bad decision and no quality on the ball in the final third.
    We looked a bit better for a few minutes when Mehmeti came on as it meant we had 2 centre mids on, two wide men and two forwards. However, we end up getting overrun still.
    Last season we played 4-3-3 in attack and 4-5-1 in defence, with three centre mids in Gape, Thompson and Bloomfield. This made us combative and difficult to break down.
    This season GA seems to think Kashket is the answer and unfortunately I think it’s completely disrupting the balance of the team as he can only really play in a front two. We’re better suited to 4-5-1.
    The sooner we get back to picking at least two proper center midfielders the better.
    I feel so frustrated whenever the team gets announced at the minute, as it feels like we have an uphill battle before we even step onto the pitch.

I guess the thing is Uche's probably the only striker capable of playing up front on his own. Hopefully we can bring one in who also can.

• I'm in agreement with @WidmerWanderer & @drcongo Just seems like I'm watching on a loop. Only difference is the stadium. Same tactics, same hoof up to a big man & same outcome.
    Obviously I don't know the ins & outta of the team, but it was clear & obvious that Bayo was running on empty and I don't understand why Ikpeazu wasn't brought on for the last 20+ minutes. Surely ideal to help with his match fitness and his extra mobility would have helped Mehmeti and Kashket.

• @drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@HolmerBlue said:

How much do people realistically expect us to create? We're creating like a lower mid-table team, which is decent considering our comparative resources. We didn't create much today, but the wastefulness is the real issue overall.

We’re clearly creating the wrong sort of chances though aren’t we. Once again, when we finally did score today, it was because two players had the cheek to dribble it into the box and have a pop. If you do that, you might score, or get lucky on the rebound. A double scoring chance. If you keep swinging in the exact same cross to the exact same player who’s being marked out of the game with compete ease, then it’s not even a single chance, no matter what the stats tell you.

We’ve obviously got players with enough skill to bring the ball down, run at the defence and have a pop - but when one of the best players at doing exactly that is dropped from the match day squad when perfectly fit, the players are obviously being told not to. As Einstein said, the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. And unfortunately we’ve gone stark raving mad.

Today was a bit repetitive, yeah, but think of all the great chances we've created and spurned all season.

@kiscokid said:
    I don’t think anyone’s criticising Bayo the man and the figurehead. But Bayo the player really needs a rest. He was poor today.

He really wasn't.

The balls in to Bayo from all over the pitch were poor again today. Horgan looks so comfortable on the ball but creates so little. He frustrates me so much.

Not sure where our two centre backs were for either goal today. Miss Stewart so much but Charles looked ok for his first game in a while (apart from both goals). Knight seems too fidgety to get forward to me. Loses our defensive shape.

Overall we didn't kick on from the equiliser. Looked tired and the problem with starting all your creative players is you have no chance to change them.

• @Croider said:

@Malone said:

@HolmerBlue said:

For all our poor results, we still haven't reached the halfway point of the season and are only 2 games away from climbing out the relegation zone. It may not seem like it's just around the corner, but at some point we will win a game and the important point then is to put a run together, 2 in a row, 3 wins in 5.

When you've won 2 in 21 it does seem a bit of an ask to win 2 in a row.
    When that 2 in a row probably only gets you to 4th bottom.

Still - each game is unique and always a chance.
    We go onto Tuesday.

@drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@HolmerBlue said:

Today was a bit repetitive, yeah, but think of all the great chances we've created and spurned all season.

I am talking about the whole season, not just today. We’ve got one tactic, smash it to Bayo from wherever you happen to be on the pitch, and that hasn’t got us a single goal.

When we bring it down and play, we create chances and score goals. The repetition of the same ineffective tactic every week is just bizarre, what makes them think it’s going to work this time when it did t work the last 20 times? The stats you keep quoting about Bayo being our most effective player make me think this is all down to the analysts, looking at a spreadsheet and saying “well it should be working, look at these stats” when I’d much rather they watched the bloody game like we have to.

• @Brownie said:

@Croider said:

@Malone said:

@HolmerBlue said:

We've won 2 games all season.

We all try and be positive but some people seem to ignore any sort of evidence.

I swear some will be saying there's "still 8 games left and if we win them all and no-one else gets a point we can stay up" type comments in April.

• Knight seems too fidgety to get forward to me. Loses our defensive shape.

Overall we didn't kick on from the equiliser. Looked tired and the problem with starting all your creative players is you have no chance to change them.

It looked like Knight felt he has to do this because we didn’t have enough midfield cover with Thompson horribly exposed. You’re right though as soon as he steps out we’re in trouble.

Couldn’t agree more about starting with all your attacking threat.

• @Malone said:

If only they were. They all look pretty much identical to me.

• Interesting (concerning) that Gaz says we were "forced into" the Thompson change

@drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@HolmerBlue said:

It's not just today though Tom. It's been the same formula almost every week and has led to 31 goals conceded in 21 games (the highest in the league) and only 2 wins from those 21 (the lowest in the league).

It's the same every game - when we make mistakes, other teams score immediately. When they make mistakes, we usually don't. The last two goals we have scored are directly from an attacking player running at defenders as the good @drcongo says (Mehmeti and / or McCleary) rather than crossing from deep towards an injured centre forward who more often than not is very well marked out of the game by better defenders than last year. I love Bayo, we all do, but those stats of him being our "most creative player" are the same as the constant "sucker punch" social media soundbites about us losing games late but still "learning lessons" or "clearly competing". It's papering over the cracks of our main issues which are yet to be resolved imo.

• @drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@HolmerBlue said:

I am talking about the whole season, not just today. We’ve got one tactic, smash it to Bayo from wherever you happen to be on the pitch, and that hasn’t got us a single goal.

When we bring it down and play, we create chances and score goals. The repetition of the same ineffective tactic every week is just bizarre, what makes them think it’s going to work this time when it did t work the last 20 times? The stats you keep quoting about Bayo being our most effective player make me think this is all down to the analysts, looking at a spreadsheet and saying “well it should be working, look at these stats” when I’d much rather they watched the bloody game like we have to.

But Bayo does create chances, plenty of them. We just don't take them - and he has missed his fair share of how own. I agree we should mix it up a bit more, but that doesn't solve the problem of our poor finishing.

• @drcongo said:

@Malone said:

Yeah I was fooling no-one with that brave facing!

Hopes for the rest of the season are nicking some wins and trying to develop a different style of play with Mehmeti, McCleary and Horgan.

Though it would be good to actually start one game with Uche and Tafa. Who surely were in mind to be key players at each end.

• @Malone said:

@drcongo said:

@Malone said:

Hopes for the rest of the season are nicking some wins and trying to develop a different style of play with Mehmeti, McCleary and Horgan.

Though it would be good to actually start one game with Uche and Tafa. Who surely were in mind to be key players at each end.

I assume both will start against Cardiff.

@drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@HolmerBlue said:

But Bayo does create chances, plenty of them. We just don't take them - and he has missed his fair share of how own. I agree we should mix it up a bit more, but that doesn't solve the problem of our poor finishing.

It's not necessarily so much about Bayo himself. It's the idea that our one prime tactic is to smash the ball up to him and hope something bounces towards Kashket etc - possibly even more so than we've seen in recent years and when he is clearly nowhere near 100% it seems bonkers to continue to persevere. That in itself recently is not producing goals, whereas getting the good ball players we have brought in running at players has.

@drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@HolmerBlue said:

Someone already pointed out earlier though that if all we do every week is smash the ball at Bayo, the law of averages says that every now and then one of those will bounce off and be a “chance”. If we aren’t doing anything else he is on paper our most creative player. But how anyone actually watching the games could say that is beyond me.

• edited December 2020

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@drcongo said:

@Malone said:

Commentary said they're a tall team so Uche and Tafa in would make sense.

Maybe even Bayo and Uche and play 3 centre backs. And not even pretend to play it into midfield :)
    Makes sense why Wheeler didn't play today now as well.

• edited December 2020

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@drcongo said:

@Malone said:

Maybe even Bayo and Uche and play 3 centre backs. And not even pretend to play it into midfield :)

They're a tall, very direct team - neck braces at the ready!> @drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@HolmerBlue said:

Someone already pointed out earlier though that if all we do every week is smash the ball at Bayo, the law of averages says that every now and then one of those will bounce off and be a “chance”. If we aren’t doing anything else he is on paper our most creative player. But how anyone actually watching the games could say that is beyond me.

Maybe we do it to the extreme, but it can be effective - we just need to vary it more. Interested to see the approach when Uche starts though, he looks a better hold-up player and can turn and run at defenders.

• edited December 2020

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@drcongo said:

@Malone said:

They're a fall, very direct team - neck braces at the ready!

Sounds one to look forward to.

People may not like this but I think I'm glad not to sit there in the freezing cold masked up for 2hours watching in the flesh!

• No idea what happened with that post there

• On a more positive note - 3 homes in a row now and then a real do or die double header v QPR and Sheff Wed.