Skip to content

Bizarre transfer rumors thread

Comments

• We had 25 in the squad last season. 17 in the squad now . So thought we would probably have same sort of number this time. This time we need more quality to survive.

• Yes, for sure. If we are able to get it done I am imagining a 4-5 or 5-4 split with permanent v loanees. Here is one stab at it:

GK - Loanee. Either provide cover for Rocky, or start.
    LB - Permanent. Cover and possible eventual replacement for JJ, ideally.
    CB - Permanent. Cover and rotation for Stewart and Charles.
    CB - Loanee. More cover. Preferably a McCarthy type versatile player who can cover RB too.
    RB - Loanee. Cover for Grimmer.
    MF - Permanent. Creative midfielder.
    MF - Permanent. Tricky winger.
    ST - Permanent. Out and out striker.
    FW - Loanee. Quality forward loanee (hopefully from Premier League).

There's nothing quite like too-specific predictions. All guaranteed correct or your money back!

• We need more than one technical midfielder. It should go without saying that Championship teams keep the ball much better and we won't be able to sustain our purely scrapping approach at that level - just need a couple of players who can put their foot on the ball and give us the option to play through the midfield sometimes, take some of the strain off. Even the team with the least possession in the Champ this season (Cardiff) kept the ball reasonably well.

• Not the classic quality signing in the 4 positions down the spine then?

Gareth has shown he can be ruthless when needed.

You only have to see El Abd going from captain, to out on his ear a few weeks into a season!
    The more you look at that call, to replace him with Charles who had played about 5 games the season before, it's utterly breathtakingly genius as a leap of faith!

• I still think GA sold his soul to the Devil at Torquay. But he managed to do so on very beneficial terms. Darius is the latest manifestation of the instalments Satan agreed to pay. Hopefully there are a few more to come yet

• So who of our current 11 do we see as ‘starters’ in the Championship?

Allsop? Probably subject to loaner
    Grimmer? Yes
    JJ? Yes alongside Darius
    Stewart? Yes
    Darius? Yes at the start
    Gape? Yes
    Thompson? Probably not although a good squad player
    Bloomfield? Probably not maybe against Norwich
    Pattison? Probably not but potential
    Freeman? No - plan B from bench
    Wheeler? Yes
    Scotty? No impact sub
    Bayo? No - plan C from bench
    Samuel? Probably no but could surprise us
    Parker? Unlikely (and for @micra’s well being hopefully not)

So looking at that we need cover at the back, a couple of midfield regulars and at least two regular starters in the forwards

• edited July 2020

I'd agree with that, but I definitely think Samuel could do well and surprise a few - won't improve on his scoring record, but he's a pain in the arse for defenders and I'd back him to step that up with even more teams playing out from the back at that level (we'll see, but he seems to thrive off a greater challenge). I just hope we bring in an out-and-out goal-scorer in this window - Burton didn't until January in their first season (although Jackson Irvine was their top scorer with 10 from midfield) in the Champ, might have survived a tad more comfortablly had they done so.

• In my opinion I think the starting lineup should be like this if we signed the types of players corresponding with @Shev idea.

Loanee GK
    Grimmer RB
    Stewart CB
    Charles CB
    Jacobson LB
    Gape CDM
    Wheeler / Thompson CM
    New Singing CM
    New Singing RW
    New Singing ST
    Fred LW

I think people are being harsh on Curtis to be honest. I think he deserves more respect and I do hope to see him in the team next season. It is a hard decision to make though in terms of Wheeler playing as a winger or a central midfielder but personally I would like to see him in the midfield again. If Wheeler played as a Winger, I do feel that could be the end of Scotty and I would personally hate to see that. In addition to this, I feel we may see the likes of Pattison, Freeman, Samuel, Parker and possibly Kashket being loaned out as I can see them not breaking into the squad if we made new signings. I think we should wait until it becomes clearer though.

• edited July 2020

I am unashamedly in the 'Freeman is better than people realize' camp, and I do think he could actually work better in a more expansive team. He doesn't always fit into our style, but he and Fred look the most comfortable with the ball at their feet.

Pattison has been the understudy to Bloomers as the advanced-defensive-midfielder-tireless runner hybrid (an official tactical term - look it up). It would be interesting to see if he gets more minutes and develops.

However, if I had to pick a team of Championship-potential Wycombe players today, it would be:

1. INCOMING
    2. Grimmer
    3. JJ
    4. Charles
    5. Stewart
    6. Gape
    7. INCOMING
    8. INCOMING (but maybe Freeman)
    9. Wheeler
    10. Fred
    11. INCOMING

It pains me to say it (as he is probably my favourite player), but JJ would be more for scoring potential than defence. I have a fear he may get roasted a few times this coming season, even with his immaculate positional sense.

I love Grimmer and think he can make it, but I still think there are some areas of clear development needed (more composure on the ball at the back, better delivery of crosses). I do think he will make the jump, though.

Bonus prediction: The season after next, our generals will be Gape, Stewart, and Grimmer, with Dom wearing the armband. EDIT: Wheeler too.

• @thedieharder - I agree on Curtis. My rationale is we do not get enough goals from midfield, or enough creativity, so it has to be Gape or Thompson (with Gape slightly better), with a "creative fulcrum" player and a high energy box-to-box player who can also score (a better version of Luke O'Nien, with no disrespect).

• @Shev said:
    @thedieharder - I agree on Curtis. My rationale is we do not get enough goals from midfield, or enough creativity, so it has to be Gape or Thompson (with Gape slightly better), with a "creative fulcrum" player and a high energy box-to-box player who can also score (a better version of Luke O'Nien, with no disrespect)

When Wheeler was playing in the middle he gave me that impression of a high energy box-to-box player who can also score but I will agree that the midfield generally doesnt score a lot of goals. I think part of the decision will be if Wheeler plays on the wing though next season because if he does, it means that we could probably get a creative midfielder in the team but who knows?

• We need a couple of central strikers who can start most games. Not sure Parker and Samuel are of the required standard and Bayo potentially could only be used as a 15-20 min sub if all else fails.

• Good points. Wheeler is definitely versatile, which really benefits us in constructing the team, and also being able to experiment with the lineup. Trying him out in the middle could be a good solution!

• Can definitely see Wheeler dropping into midfield, depending on who we sign in terms of wide players. We could definitely do with a pacey LB behind JJ. Cover JJ well and we should be able to compensate for the lack of pace - but there will be the odd winger with the ability to just burn him regardless. When Freeman was really in his groove early last season, I thought there was Championship potential there - with his lack of pace perhaps the one thing holding him back - so you never know, if he gets a run in the side... It would be great to get a hard-working striker who suits our game but has genuine 10+ goal potential at Championship level. I'm still really keen on Marcus Forss as a loan option from Brentford.

• My opinion, for what it's worth, defo starters out of what we currently have next season.
    Grimmer, Stewart, Gape, Wheeler, Fred.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    My opinion, for what it's worth, defo starters out of what we currently have next season.
    Grimmer, Stewart, Gape, Wheeler, Fred.

Yup.

• To be honest, I am still pinching myself that we are assessing how to upgrade the squad to compete with the like of Norwich and Nottingham Forest.

If it were not for the potential bittersweet sensation of a season with limited/no crowds, this really would be unadulterated joy!

• Samuel shouldn't be lumped in with Parker.
    In any shape or form!! He's most likely going to be next season's CMS, but without the previous contribution to the cause.

Parker barely got any sort of look in throughout last season and often didn't even make the bench. Whereas Samuel started a lot of games.

Thompson seemed to come back from lock down off the pace, and is a bit of a slow returner to fitness and form . His top form shouldn't be discounted from being starter material next year.

Either starting though is totally dependent on what quality we can bring in of course.

Freeman, Pattison and Kashket have a lot to do to feature much next year you feel.

• I think Pattison could be a very good player in the near future, but perhaps a loan spell out next season would be for the best. He needs games, but could find himself 5th, 6th, maybe even 7th choice CM next season, depending on who we bring in.

• edited July 2020

Speaking of Pattison, I've just seen on his Insta that at least 12 of last season's squad are on holiday together at the moment - including four who've left. As if we needed any more proof of the unbelievable spirit here.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Speaking of Pattison, I've just seen on his Insta that at least 12 of last season's squad are on holiday together at the moment - including four who've left. As if we needed any more proof of the unbelievable spirit here.

That is pretty incredible. I am massively biased, but I have not seen a team spirit like it anywhere before.

• That is pretty brilliant!

• Just saw another video and keep seeing new faces! Might even be a whole squad holiday?

• *MORE FACES

• 15 I reckon on the trip to Croatia - Allsop, JJ, Gape, Stewart, Pattison, Kashket, Mascoll, Phillips, Charles, Grimmer, Freeman, Thompson, Oforboh, Parker, Gardiner-Smith.

Reckon Bayo would have joined them if it wasnt for his surgery, seems like he spent the day with David Stockdale instead.

• I feel like spending the day with David Stockdale would be the last thing you should be doing after undergoing surgery. The guy's a fucking lunatic.

• You don’t reckon he’ll be signing then @Jonny_King.

• @bookertease said:
    So who of our current 11 do we see as ‘starters’ in the Championship?

Allsop? Probably subject to loaner
    Grimmer? Yes
    JJ? Yes alongside Darius
    Stewart? Yes
    Darius? Yes at the start
    Gape? Yes
    Thompson? Probably not although a good squad player
    Bloomfield? Probably not maybe against Norwich
    Pattison? Probably not but potential
    Freeman? No - plan B from bench
    Wheeler? Yes
    Scotty? No impact sub
    Bayo? No - plan C from bench
    Samuel? Probably no but could surprise us
    Parker? Unlikely (and for @micra’s well being hopefully not)

So looking at that we need cover at the back, a couple of midfield regulars and at least two regular starters in the forwards.

@bookertease: put me out of my misery please. Haven’t a clue what you are alluding to when you refer to my well-being in relation to the possible inclusion of Josh Parker. A case of mistaken identity perhaps?

• @micra I'd be perfectly happy if he did, but with the utmost respect I think there's even better (and younger) out there to fulfil whatever goalie needs we may have.

He seems like a great character though - someone who always seems to be 'high on life'. Just a bit worried for Bayo, as he seems like someone who you could pop round to visit for a cup of tea and five hours later find yourself in fancy dress trying to sail a pedalo to Copenhagen.

• Thanks for that clarification @Jonny_King.
    From what you say he sounds like someone who would join in those goal celebrations where half a dozen or more players dive in on top of each other. Kinda boisterous. Bayo’s newly acquired bionic right knee needs to be carefully protected to ensure that he hits the ground running in September.