Skip to content

Bizarre transfer rumors thread

Comments

• No Mawson moment yet. Indeed, the selection options have narrowed from those that @aloysius referred to on Friday now that there appears to be rather more than a knock preventing Curtis Thompson from playing. Reading between the lines of what either @bluntphil or his co-commentator, Geoff Doyle, was saying yesterday, there may be a more ongoing problem. Following his serious shoulder injury last season (and I think subsequent surgery) he seemed to lose a bit of his sparkle. I may well be wrong and, as someone with great admiration for him, I sincerely hope so.

I doubt very much if this is an El Abd type situation, as someone recently floated as a possibility.

Being without both Gape and Thompson yesterday was clearly a major disappointment but, in their very different ways, I thought Bloomfield and Pattison played very well.

• It was @aloysius who hoped yesterday that we didn’t have an el-Abd type scenario. Like me he likes him.

• @micra said:
    It was @aloysius who hoped yesterday that we didn’t have an el-Abd type scenario. Like me he likes him.

Curtis at his best is a wonderful player, can win the tackles, cover ground, run past people and make great passes, the sort that 2 or 3 of him would make a great midfield. Let's hope he can get back to his best.

• Maybe i missed it, but can you enlarge on what Phil and/or Geoff said about Curtis during the commentary? I don't remember anything.

It's hard to see how a central midfielder can have fallen down the pecking order when we ended yesterday with no centre midfielders.

• Some players turn over from niggles qnd injuries into top form very quickly.
    Thompson seems very much the opposite.

When he joined he barely got near the pitch for ages. And after injury he took ages to get back to form.
    Maybe it's simply another example of this.

• @floyd said:
    Maybe i missed it, but can you enlarge on what Phil and/or Geoff said about Curtis during the commentary? I don't remember anything.

It's hard to see how a central midfielder can have fallen down the pecking order when we ended yesterday with no centre midfielders.

Hints of an underlying ongoing issue going back to before lockdown. Think its been a while tbh since he was playing every week.

• I’m afraid I can’t @floyd and, as I said, I may have misinterpreted what was said but I’m fairly sure that I heard the ominous word “ongoing”. Dangerous to speculate on what is by no means a clear understanding of the situation and I hope the club will clarify it in due course. There is clearly a degree of concern amongst fans about the midfield but @StrongestTeam’s (to me) POTD on another thread puts things in perspective.

• As does his post above which he posted whilst I was slowly tapping out my last one!

• Thanks @StrongestTeam and @micra. He did a good job at Wembley IIRC.

• Two months ago today. Where is the time going.

• Steven Taylor been released, would be great to see him back at adams Park!

• @Wanderers82 said:
    Steven Taylor been released, would be great to see him back at adams Park!

... and signed for Odisha FC in the Indian Premier League!

• Does he bat or bowl?

• He spins it both ways and averages 50 with the bat at a strike rate of 200. A talented lad.

OK, Indian Super League...

• Another international

• Interesting write up on Adeniran, should the Echo article prove to be accurate...

https://www.toffeeweb.com/players/profiles/Adeniran.php

• Geographically, Blackburn must be favourite, QPR and Millwall being London clubs might not be attractive and Stoke are not the most glamorous of the perennially Championship clubs. Opportunities to feature frequently might well be greater at Wycombe than at Blackburn and London is within easy reach if indeed it retains its attraction in these “difficult” times. Not sure how attractive Rotherham might be but, on balance, I think Wycombe with its beautiful setting, excellent facilities and track record of warmly welcoming young loanees into a clique free environment must be favourite. Well, I can dream. Sorry, who is the player again?

• Just looked him up. Probably B team for starters but would that be sufficient incentive?

• What about Malachi Linton. Can’t recall if he signed.

• @micra said:
    Just looked him up. Probably B team for starters but would that be sufficient incentive?

Surely there's not much point for someone on Liverpool's books to come to Wycombe as a development team player?

• No chance all those clubs would be interested (if that's true) if he wouldn't be straight into our first team squad at least.

First team opportunities and GA/Dobbos track record with loanees are our biggest pros in attracting these types of players, as nice as the hills around the ground are, that's not going to sway players over the relatively poor training ground, stadium, wages, historical reputation/ prestige and chance of team success compared to pretty much everyone else in the league

Fingers crossed GA and Dobbo can get across quite how incredible a management pairing they are!

• Is he good enough for our first team though? Looks slight and short, and his goalscoring pedigree isn't particularly impressive. Now if they wanted to loan us Origi....

• It’s about to kick off. Official twitter suggesting we’re about to announce four new signings?

• @JohnBoy said:
    It’s about to kick off. Official twitter suggesting we’re about to announce four new signings?

But will they be Gasroom ready? Will they be good enough for the squad which presently isn't good enough? Limbs!

• @Wendoverman said:

@JohnBoy said:
    It’s about to kick off. Official twitter suggesting we’re about to announce four new signings?

But will they be Gasroom ready? Will they be good enough for the squad which presently isn't good enough? Limbs!

Not unless one of them is Curtis Jones.