Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• The Championship sounds like a place where super humans roam playing the kind of football last seen from the 1970 Brazil side.

I want Wycombe to be a part of that.

• @Twizz I'm pretty sure he hinted at it - or if not then one of the Couhigs. Tbh, I'm a bit confused by the SCMP since discovering it's voluntary.

• We wouldn't be much of a part of it if we were getting thumped 5-0 every week! It's stronger now than when even Burton were in it, so it's fair to say we'd stand no chance. And would there not be too much of a temptation for those in charge to splash the cash in an attempt to make the team even vaguely competitive?

• @chairboyscentral here’s a link to the SCMP Requirements on the EFL website. Bit (ok very!) long, but Part 3 covers League One. The regulation starts “All League One clubs ...... are required to meet.....”, sets out “Notifiable Events” at Section 9, and “Consequences.....” for not meeting the various requirements at Section 10.1.3. It’s not really a voluntary requirement.
    https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-5---financial-fair-play-regulations/

• @chairboyscentral said:
    We wouldn't be much of a part of it if we were getting thumped 5-0 every week! It's stronger now than when even Burton were in it, so it's fair to say we'd stand no chance. And would there not be too much of a temptation for those in charge to splash the cash in an attempt to make the team even vaguely competitive?

For a start I believe we aren't going up so it doesnt matter either way, and I also think you are right saying we would get spanked every week, but if we are "modelling" ourselves on Bournemouth...who's to say we cant emulate them?

• Is there a parachute payment for getting relegated from the Championship?

• edited February 2020

@ForeverBlue said:
    @chairboyscentral here’s a link to the SCMP Requirements on the EFL website. Bit (ok very!) long, but Part 3 covers League One. The regulation starts “All League One clubs ...... are required to meet.....”, sets out “Notifiable Events” at Section 9, and “Consequences.....” for not meeting the various requirements at Section 10.1.3. It’s not really a voluntary requirement.
    https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-5---financial-fair-play-regulations/

Interesting, iirc Andy Holt said it was voluntary and a bit of a waste of time. Will have to dig out his tweets.

• edited February 2020

@thecatwwfc said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    We wouldn't be much of a part of it if we were getting thumped 5-0 every week! It's stronger now than when even Burton were in it, so it's fair to say we'd stand no chance. And would there not be too much of a temptation for those in charge to splash the cash in an attempt to make the team even vaguely competitive?

For a start I believe we aren't going up so it doesnt matter either way, and I also think you are right saying we would get spanked every week, but if we are "modelling" ourselves on Bournemouth...who's to say we cant emulate them?

Bournemouth started spending big when they were still in League One, which I'm pretty sure we're not going to do.

• I totally agree with @Shev that we are safe and can have 13 pressure free games. Try and accumulate as many points as possible and see what happens. You never know!!!

It’s been a great journey and still may have a ‘ happy’ ending. Certainly it will be interesting off season with Gaz having more money but a number of players needing replacing mainly due to age and not being good enough to contribute at the top end of League 1.

• edited February 2020

Out of interest, assuming we'll still be in League One next season, who do people think would/should get offered new deals? These players are all out of contract in the summer:

Yates
    Stewart
    Sido
    JJ
    Mascoll
    Gape
    Blooms
    Pattison
    Bayo

Personally, I'd offer Yates another year as Gaz and Dobbo seem to rate him, Stewart, JJ, Mascoll and Gape two years, Blooms one, Pattison one maybe, and Bayo one assuming he doesn't retire.

• Championship offers to:
    Tools, JJ, Jamie M, Dom, Bayo.
    Blooms to coaching with a squad number.
    Only Tools and Dom would get regular starts IMO.

• We should remember too that it is the players psychology and the "changing room effect" that sits high on Gaz's priorities, so that may have an impact on the players offered contracts.

• We'd no doubt take a few schoolings, but the whole point of the game is to try and push on and be as good as you can be.

As long as we didn't commit to ludicrous long deals, we'd be able to bank some extra money for our future.

@thecatwwfc said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Bournemouth started spending big when they were still in League One, which I'm pretty sure we're not going to do.

Bournemouth cheated financially along their way to the Premier League. They have a billionaire owner now who makes the Couhigs look like paupers!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36189779

• @chairboyscentral, ah ok. I had thought that maybe you'd seen I way I'd not that could result in more £ being available for next year's squad.
    Whatever happens in these remaining weeks we should never forget the period from November through to Christmas as we climbed to the top of the league.
    My head says we are going to fall just short of the play offs, but my heart most certainly wants at least a crack at them. If somehow we did get promoted then I'd trust in GA, Dobbo and the Couhigs to give it an honest attempt to stay in the Championship.

• I think this season has been great and i have fingers crossed for a big finish whichever way it ends. If we can keep it financially tight i think a season being biffed in the championship would do us no harm lets face it everyone in this league thinks we should be relegated! We've done better than expected against the 'this is a championship club' teams already. It's a forward move which we've been waiting for for years and we may not get a better chance. Onwards and upwards!??

Yates
    Stewart
    Sido
    JJ
    Mascoll
    Gape
    Blooms
    Pattison
    Bayo

I’d offer Yates, Stewart, JJ, Mascoll, Gape, Bloomfield and Bayo. A lot of it is going to depend on what the players want. I don’t expect Gape to re-sign, and I wonder about Blooms and Bayo’s plans as well.

• Only way Gape would get into the Championship is with us, otherwise I guess it comes down to which top teams at this level might want him. I see no great reason why he wouldn't stay at Wycombe. I'm always more worried about losing Thompson.

• I really like Don, but I wonder if he thinks he needs a new challenge.

• Getting back to the Fleetwood game, Barton has been charged for swearing at the referee prior to his red card.

Only way Gape would get into the Championship is with us, otherwise I guess it comes down to which top teams at this level might want him. I see no great reason why he wouldn't stay at Wycombe. I'm always more worried about losing Thompson.

For someone seemingly so stats based you do seem to be hot for some players (Aarons for example) and so cold on others such as Gape. Is this based on your data or a gut feel?

I struggle with how Gape isn't able to play one league higher than he currently does. He's a regular high quality performer in a promotion chasing side? What is involved in the giant leap you are seeing and what is he lacking to get there?

For me moving up a league normally involves getting three or four players of that leagues quality to add to the squad that got you there. Those that change too much fail far more often.

• Josh Scowen has done okay...so I've no doubt Gape could handle the Championship.

• edited February 2020

I don't think he's good enough on the ball for the Championship - it's a vastly more technical division - but I suppose there's still time to improve on that.

Out of interest, assuming we'll still be in League One next season, who do people think would/should get offered new deals? These players are all out of contract in the summer:

Yates
    Stewart
    Sido
    JJ
    Mascoll
    Gape
    Blooms
    Pattison
    Bayo

Personally, I'd offer Yates another year as Gaz and Dobbo seem to rate him, Stewart, JJ, Mascoll and Gape two years, Blooms one, Pattison one maybe, and Bayo one assuming he doesn't retire.

League 1 - JJ, Stewart, Gape and Bayo for certain. The first and last 1 years, and the middle two 2 years, or more if we could.

Yates and Mascoll probably low risk/wages, so would stay as similar roles to this year.

Pattison I don't think will make it. Barely played this year, almost feels like a "pre investment" signing.
    Sido - love him, but unfortunately probably the right time to go. Would be a real shame, as JJ/Sido for me have been a huge part of things since that season we almost went down.

Bloomfield might retire, might stay on for another year in a reduced capacity. Hard to tell.

• edited February 2020

I can see Bloomfield going on for another couple of seasons at least, but whether he'd be able to continue to perform to these levels/fit a new style if we were to adopt one is another matter.

I don't think he's good enough on the ball for the Championship - it's a vastly more technical division - but I suppose there's still time to improve on that.

Probably a bit more time to strut your stuff though.

From our games against championship teams in recent years, we've oddly, ended up playing a bit better stuff. Our league is a bit more smash and run.

• Pattison was a pre-investment signing wasn’t he? And so was Gape’s renewal IIRC.

Bloomfield’s got at least another year in him, he actually seems to be getting better with age.

• Oh, I missed JGS off the list! Yeah...he won't be staying will he.

• Terms for JJ, Stewart,Gape( as long a deal as possible) and probably Yates and Mascoll. Thank Sido for his fantastic service and not renew. Move Bloomfield to a coaching capacity and probably most controversially , thank Bayo for his contributions and let him go. One player has dictated our overall game plan with very little alternatives for the last few years. Time to move on with a little more in the kitty to spend , to players where we can play a variety of ways depending on opposition etc.

• I was about to post exactly the same as that @davecz ... time to move on I think