Skip to content

Match day thread: Sherwsbury

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Just about to listen to Salopcast's latest pod, in which they discuss our style of play. Should be interesting...

On the whole you lose a game on the basis of not scoring any or enough goals...you may not like the style or attitude of the team that beat you, or you may have been unlucky, but I must admit I find it odd when teams like Sunderland and Plymouth et al spend a whole thread moaning about the way the other team (well...us) played. I may be wrong (Cue someone finding a 100 page thread I started about being robbed by anti-football) but I've mostly found on here we've concentrated on our own shortcomings (some a bit too much) after a loss rather than two days of vitriol about the opponents. I'm not sure Rocky had a shot to save did he? That might go some way to explain the Shrews losing...

• edited November 2019

• All this constant trying to get the ball to the strikers who spend the whole bloody game trying to get in a position to score...or our wide players running at defenders...not to mention our defenders 'taking the ball' off their players. We are a disgrace. They may have left pointless but they had their heads held high...

• edited November 2019

There was a comment in the 'away' segment of Phil's podcast along the lines of "they get the ball out wide and then fall over..." I don't recall us buying any cheap free kicks in the 2nd half. The way I saw it, we were constantly running at them, particularly down the right, and they were fairly crude and cynical in their attempts to stop us, regularly risking a yellow for 'totting up' simply because they couldn't handle the pace and trickery of both Aarons and Kashket, ably assisted by Grimmer and the midfielders pushing on in support.

• Funny how our goal came from a central free-kick. I said to my mate at the time what a shit position it was...

• From where I was sat (in cloud cuckooland, behind blue-tinted spectacles) the ref gave them far more cheap free kicks than he did us.

Maybe they should look harder at their own team's attacking failures.

There is no such thing as 'anti-football'. It's just an idiotic saying that's become a lazy cliche.

• I know we are top of League One, but I think we can all agree that being bottom of the Moral Victory table scars all of us.

• @Wendoverman said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Just about to listen to Salopcast's latest pod, in which they discuss our style of play. Should be interesting...

On the whole you lose a game on the basis of not scoring any or enough goals...you may not like the style or attitude of the team that beat you, or you may have been unlucky, but I must admit I find it odd when teams like Sunderland and Plymouth et al spend a whole thread moaning about the way the other team (well...us) played. I may be wrong (Cue someone finding a 100 page thread I started about being robbed by anti-football) but I've mostly found on here we've concentrated on our own shortcomings (some a bit too much) after a loss rather than two days of vitriol about the opponents. I'm not sure Rocky had a shot to save did he? That might go some way to explain the Shrews losing...

Agreed. Even the Facebook page after a defeat is full of comments like 'Gareth/Bayo/JJ/Allsop/Bloomfield/(insert name here) is shit' very rarely is there moaning about the opposition's tactics.

Seems like teams just can't handle being beaten by non-league Wycombe Wanderers

• @Croider said:

Agreed. Even the Facebook page after a defeat is full of comments like 'Gareth/Bayo/JJ/Allsop/Bloomfield/(insert name here) is shit' very rarely is there moaning about the opposition's tactics.

To be fair the people posting those opinions probably did not notice the opposition's tactics...

• edited November 2019

@Wendoverman said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I bet Shrewsbury fans were comfortable with how they played when shutting Sunderland out for a 1-0!
    That's ok when it's them!

As a general rule, if teams "Like" playing against you, you're probably not a very competitive team.

• edited November 2019

Talking of opposition tactics, I didn't see the Gillingham or Bristol Rovers games, but I'm not sure many teams have tactically outdone us? Accrington and Peterborough caused problems with their long channel balls and high-intensity attacking play respectively, but we probably should have beaten Wimbledon - and only fell short against Fleetwoof thanks to that late spill in atrocious conditions.

• Someone on that Shrewsbury podcast appears to be presenting from inside a bucket.

• @Shev said:
    I know we are top of League One, but I think we can all agree that being bottom of the Moral Victory table scars all of us.

I'm still gutted we're outperforming our xG

It's really taken the shine off the season

• edited November 2019

Peterborough were the best side I've seen at AP...a lot of the others were much of a muchness. Sunderland beat Southend 1 - 0 at weekend. The bottom team who already have a million goals against. My Sarfend supporting colleague who has seen Ipswich and the Mackems beat them recently said he thought Ipswich were okay but nothing special and Sunderland will be lucky to make the play-offs. I shall be interested to see where we are at the end of this most dangerous of months (apparently) but cannot say I have seen anything that scares me over much. Fred and Smyth still to come back. Happy Days.

• edited November 2019

Alex Samuel close too - was warming up on Saturday. That would make it 24/25 fit, depending on the severity of the knock Blooms appeared to pick up on Saturday.

• Allsop had one save to make first half, shot from about 10yds out fairly central which the guy hits about as hard as a back pass. Rocky kept us on our toes by spooning it out past his left hand post.

• .... if that's what Shrewsbury fans think amounts to anti anti-football, I'll stick with the anti-football.
    Not saying we did much better apart from the goal, but I'd agree we we're fortunate to win and wouldn't blame Shrewsbury for trying to stop us.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Alex Samuel close too - was warming up on Saturday. That would make it 24/25 fit, depending on the severity of the knock Blooms appeared to pick up on Saturday.

First time I've seen that new nearest toughline sub thang. I think I like it. I'm surprised the Salopians did not complain that it put off their goalie who was setting up a goal-kick as Arrons went past the terrace!

• edited November 2019

I don't think we're quite at these levels yet (I've honestly never seen much of the Wimbledon of that era):

• Samuel Plimsoll was taking a toughline on subs years ago

• @LX1 said:
    Samuel Plimsoll was taking a toughline on subs years ago

One for the kids there :smiley:

• Having looked at their site myself apart from a couple of sneers about our probably final position in the league I didn't think their responses were too far away from ours. It was always going to be a one goal game. And we got it. Having said that I don't look at Twitter or Facebook which I assume is where the true fans go.

• How many times does one of their guys describing the goal say "kind of"? Around post 20 minute mark.

• edited November 2019

The difference between the teams seems to have been the goal. Kind of.

• Don't worry, Sheffield United get the same treatment - and I'd say they're doing pretty well.
  • There's something about Sheff U and even Villa being managed by childhood fans that makes me want them to succeed. Man U and Arsenal turning into run of the mill manager shedding PL teams is also entertaining.

• They're both brilliant, Chris Wilder in particular. He'll never get anywhere near one of the biggest club because of lazy perceptions about him and his style, yet he's arguably the most innovative manager in the country. All the better for the Blades!

• He's clearly a top class manager, but he always came across as a complete bell end to me when we played him!

Can't argue with what he's done since

• You missed approximately exactly what you saw in that video, @chairboyscentral - total commitment mixed with the sort of brutal physicality that would see them down to nine men within the first ten minutes of any match played today.

• Shrewsbury player booked for time-wasting tonight. Brilliant.