Skip to content

Match day thread: Sherwsbury

Comments

• Poor game, poor weather, but superb to get a win out of it without playing that well.
    Shrewsbury certainly showed why they don't lose many, with their 3 beasts at the back, but perhaps also showed why they don't win loads.

Other results went excellently, only Sunderland winning in the top end.

Shout out for their centre back who was idiotic to square up to Bayo. Truly ludicrous scenes, but well done to Pierre who stepped in when it looked like Bayo wanted to get back involved.

• Thought that was a great 2nd half in those conditions, although anything would look decent next to that stinker of a 1st. Many great shifts out there and fantastic to see everyone on the pitch so happy post match.

I hope there are full highlights of the CB meltdown!

• @drcongo said:
    Worth tuning into Three Counties, MK have slipped into the relegation zone after a thumping from Tranmere and Wimbledon’s draw means their the ones who have overtaken them. Cue loads of MK “fans” texting in to moan about their illegitimate club having a poor position in the league they shouldn’t even be in.

Was more irritated by the fact i had to listen to the impenetrable pre-match yak of the Watford manager rather than any of beds herts and bucks other league teams management reaction to their
    games.

• Huxtable face-planting the pitch was the moment of the season I never knew I needed.

• What was the racial chanting I’ve heard mentioned elsewhere

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Huxtable face-planting the pitch was the moment of the season I never knew I needed.

Their player smashed him over from behind, then gave him loads of abuse about it!
    Remarkable tolerance from the ref!

• First half we were definitely second best, but second half we came out and took the game to them up until the goal. After that we sat back a little and really only gave them one chance - bad headed miss after one of their players did brilliantly to pull it back before it went out for a goal kick.

Highlight of the game was definitely the sending off. Brilliant ‘play’ by JJ and Bayo to wind up an already wound-up player who’d not long been booked. Comic genius. (Although Huxtable being taken out by a Shrews player came close for comedy value).

I am really liking the Charles and Stewart partnership. In awful and tricky conditions they barely put a foot wrong.

• Say what you want about the outcome of the vote, you won’t see many owners doing a lap round the ground in the pissing rain to> @TrueBlu said:

What was the racial chanting I’ve heard mentioned elsewhere

Didn’t hear anything myself, would be very sad to hear if that happened from our fans.

• @TrueBlu said:

Who by? And where was this mentioned?

• I actually did not think Huxtable was too bad - handled the potential head injuries much better than the Lincoln ref, for starters. The incorrect decisions were usually more minor. He also gave a free-kick for a foul on Bayo, which only happens when Haley's Comet comes around.

• @TrueBlu said:

I’m going to hazard a guess that it was the ketchup kids.

• Didn’t hear any of that but plenty more abuse of Pierre. Would welcome the views of other terrace-dwellers on that.

• The same person has replied to two club Tweets, alleging racism. Hopefully they just misheard, but it goes without saying that has to be taken extremely seriously and anyone who heard even a hint of anything needs to inform the club.

• The abuse of Pierre was as unnecessary as it as utterly predictable.

A great player for us. Interesting that no responsibility is ever attributed to Saint Stokes.

• edited November 2019

@Shev said:
    I actually did not think Huxtable was too bad - handled the potential head injuries much better than the Lincoln ref, for starters. The incorrect decisions were usually more minor. He also gave a free-kick for a foul on Bayo, which only happens when Haley's Comet comes around.

I agree. And he was in good position for decisions too on the whole. I thought he could and should have been less tolerant of our time wasting in the second half, thinking particularly of the standing in front of the ball to stop free kicks being taken. Other than that, decent performance by him.

• When we have so many mix race players our selves then this really would be bang out of order

• Probably the guy who abused Pierre and got headbutted now thinks he’s fair game for his circle of mates as he plays for a different club.

Such a shame to hear as he was a great servant for us.

Shout out to Kashket, thought he was really quiet first half but gave the Shrews so many problems with his pace in the second half.

• @TrueBlu said:
    When we have so many mix race players our selves then this really would be bang out of order

It would be rephrensible whatever the colour of any of our own players' skin.

• @TrueBlu said:
    When we have so many mix race players our selves then this really would be bang out of order

I understand the underlying sentiment but the colour of our own players surely does not come into it.

• How did the Rob Couhig on the pitch thing go?

• Seems like it was literally one person on twitter with a grudge after being chucked out the ground due to being drunk who has claimed racist chants. No one standing on the terrace has actually heard anything in real life. Obviously serious claims if true, but sometimes need to take things with a dose of realism.

• Every single person - and I think it was a just minority of the terrace singers - who booed and then sang THAT song about Pierre is an embarrassment - to themselves and to Wycombe. Fucking idiots, the lot of them.

Doesn't really spoil going back top of the league though - haoppy days.

• @Croider said:
    Seems like it was literally one person on twitter with a grudge after being chucked out the ground due to being drunk who has claimed racist chants. No one standing on the terrace has actually heard anything in real life. Obviously serious claims if true, but sometimes need to take things with a dose of realism.

Even so, bit of a weird thing to make up accusations of racism. The club have to investigate it regardless.

• edited November 2019

@chairboyscentral said:
    The same person has replied to two club Tweets, alleging racism. Hopefully they just misheard, but it goes without saying that has to be taken extremely seriously and anyone who heard even a hint of anything needs to inform the club.

Eventually found it.
    Doesn't sound a reputable source!

• @TrueBlu said:

It would be bang out of order full stop

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Really poor 1st half from us. Shrewsbury were decent and could quite easily have been ahead at half time. 2nd half we really upped the tempo, played much better and eventually the pressure paid off. Perhaps over the 90mins a draw would've been fairer, but delighted to get the win.

The incident at the end was silly. The Shrews player had clearly lost the plot and JJ and Bayo played on that. I thought the ref was harsh, no need for the bookings, he just needed to calm everyone down in my opinion.

The abuse of Pierre was embarrassing, but thankfully confined to no more than a dozen kids and it sounded to me like they were being shouted down. The cries of 'shut up' we're louder than the chanting. Pierre was a wonderful player for us and was due a lot more respect than the handful of boys gave him. Luckily I doubt he even noticed it. Didn't hear anything racsist, but if there was anything, I hope the club can find and punish those responsible.

• It shows how small any Pierre boo boy group must have been that nothing was heard up in the Frank Adams.

Probably literally headbutt boy, and their gang

• Yes kudos to the majority of singers who refused to join in the chant. Embarrassing though the chant was, I also felt embarrassed (as well as ashamed of) for the tiny group who persisted with the singing despite no one joining in with them.

• @Wycombe85 said:

The abuse of Pierre was embarrassing, but thankfully confined to no more than a dozen kids and it sounded to me like they were being shouted down. The cries of 'shut up' we're louder than the chanting. Pierre was a wonderful player for us and was due a lot more respect than the handful of boys gave him. Luckily I doubt he even noticed it. Didn't hear anything racsist, but if there was anything, I hope the club can find and punish those responsible.

I didn't hear anyone other than me with cries of "Shut up" though many around me clearly felt that way. I'd have welcomed others being more vociferous, frankly, since one kid reacted to his abusive chanting being challenged with further abuse of the person challenging him. Nice young steward at the front "monitored the situation" - perhaps the right approach all in all.