Skip to content

Match day thread: Sherwsbury

Comments

• @Malone said:
    It shows how small any Pierre boo boy group must have been that nothing was heard up in the Frank Adams.

Probably literally headbutt boy, and their gang

Don't see George Stokes very often these days, though I don't say he wasn't there. The hard core, though not the only ones taking part, was about twenty young (<20 yrs) men - younger than GS. So determined in their abuse were they that they preferred that even when all around them were shouting for the team towards the end. Embarrassing to the rest of the terrace, to my mind, and idiotic.

• If there is no person I would not pick a fight with it's Bayo. His Bicep is bigger than my head.

• @TwinBrother said:
    If there is no person I would not pick a fight with it's Bayo. His Bicep is bigger than my head.

All three of their back three might have fancied their chances, I think. Pierre was excellent today. Bayo did well to get into the game more in the second half but Pierre was his equal physically and that's rarely the case, right?

• I echo the thoughts of fame 46. It wasn’t pretty, but gritty wins like that are just what’s needed over the course of a 46 games season. They did a job on us in the first half, we did a job on them in the second and thoroughly deserved the win.10 points from the last 3 games, 33 points from 15 games is a quite incredible return at any level of football. People can keep moaning about our ‘direct’ football, time wasting etc, but we just keep on winning and defying the critics. Times like this are rare in football so let’s not pick holes, let’s just enjoy it.

• 10 points from 3 games really is something special!

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    10 points from 3 games really is something special!

Gareth is working miracles.

• Great to grind out ugly wins! First half won't last long in the memory, thought we started the second half like a different team and deserved the lead.... they played some nice football and probably deserved at least a point. Ref had a poor game bayo was being wrestled all game loudest cheer of the game was when he finally gave a foul... 9points from the last 3 games coyb

• @glasshalffull said:
    I echo the thoughts of fame 46. It wasn’t pretty, but gritty wins like that are just what’s needed over the course of a 46 games season. They did a job on us in the first half, we did a job on them in the second and thoroughly deserved the win.10 points from the last 3 games, 33 points from 15 games is a quite incredible return at any level of football. People can keep moaning about our ‘direct’ football, time wasting etc, but we just keep on winning and defying the critics. Times like this are rare in football so let’s not pick holes, let’s just enjoy it.

15 games? Have you removed the Gillingham game because we lost it, and thus our 33 points technically came from the 15?

Or did you mean to write 16

(someone else has done the anal bit on the 10 from 3 ;) )

• Thanks for correcting me Malone. I once got 1% in a maths exam (for getting my name right) but it was a slip of the finger on this occasion.....16 games, as you say.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Thanks for correcting me Malone. I once got 1% in a maths exam (for getting my name right) but it was a slip of the finger on this occasion.....16 games, as you say.

It's good to be able to have such trivialities to jokingly josh about, as there's no moans on the football side right now!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Great player who will be booed by idiots but yes I hope he's off form.

Why are they idiots for booing someone that headbutted one of our fans? (I wasn't there and 100% don't doubt that they deserved it! But still for a player to do that makes him the c___t that people were suggesting on the terrace today)

• Just read the Shrewsbury website. I thought they were a decent side, but their manager makes them sound like Barcelona. ‘We were by far the better side....completely dominated etc...’. First half he may have had a point, second half definitely not.

• A nice side-effect of the new sub rule: players get to walk past the terrace and receive a deserved ovation.

• Really solid result today. We didn’t play well in the first half, whilst the Shews pinged it about effectively without any end product.
    Aarons was almost invisible in the first half and then was like a different player in the second. Don’t know what Gareth said to him at HT, but it worked a treat.
    Ref on the deck and the red card were indeed comedy gold!
    League table- wow wow wow.

• Just seen the highlights and that really was a lovely goal. So what if we've scored 12/25 from set-pieces? Stoke did alright out of that!

• just read their managers interview.....he said he would be pissed off with 1 point never mind no points....said they were by far the better team.....how clueless!!

yeah I agree they were better 1st half but that is because that's the worst we have played in weeks !

• @thecatwwfc said:

@Wendoverman said:

Why are they idiots for booing someone that headbutted one of our fans? (I wasn't there and 100% don't doubt that they deserved it! But still for a player to do that makes him the c___t that people were suggesting on the terrace today)

If he 100% deserved it, I fail to see the objection to his getting it.

• (I'm including pens and throw-ins in that)

• For this week's opposition quotes bingo, shall we go with:

"We know how they are going to play"

or

"I would not want to watch that every week" ???

• @HCblue said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@Wendoverman said:

Because he has a responsibility as a representative of the club? Stupid comment.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@HCblue said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@Wendoverman said:

Because he has a responsibility as a representative of the club? Stupid comment.

Double standards. One twenty-something insulted another on the street. He got what he asked for. Hopefully, both young men regret their part in what happened.

Stupid comment yourself, as though that carries the argument.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    A nice side-effect of the new sub rule: players get to walk past the terrace and receive a deserved ovation.

Think it's a horrible rule but your point is valid. I think it will lead to an incident at some point somewhere.

Interesting the player sent off wasn't made to leave the pitch at the nearest point?

• That would have been funny going past the terrace!

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    A nice side-effect of the new sub rule: players get to walk past the terrace and receive a deserved ovation.

Think it's a horrible rule but your point is valid. I think it will lead to an incident at some point somewhere.

Interesting the player sent off wasn't made to leave the pitch at the nearest point?

I'm sure there's some sub section to the rule where there's an exception made if there's a high risk of an incident.

• edited November 2019

I don't think anyone's ever condoned what Pierre allegedly did, but dare I say it was, for want of a better word, understandable?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I did think that too. I guess it's not in the laws for player safety reasons? But then you could be subbed after having riled the home fans with the slightest thing.

• A very well ground out win today. Solid performances across the team today in horrible conditions. Not a day to get too critical about much at all on the pitch.

The late sending off was interesting from a team point of view. It was so clear what was about to happen from the moment he contested the first foul but none of his team mates sorted it out. That would never have happened in our squad. I'd be a bit worried if I was a Shrewsbury fan.

One moment I loved from getting in the ground early. Aaron Pierre jogged from the tunnel to the Frank Adams stand and got a lovely round of applause from the few people there at the time. He smiled and clapped back. The correct interaction between supporters and a great past servant of the club.

• edited November 2019

@thecatwwfc said:

@HCblue said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@Wendoverman said:

A player is only a player when playing, or on club duty.

In any other setting, they're just a normal human being.
    Abuse someone randomly in the street, and don't be surprised that there might be ramifications.

• edited November 2019

That's about it, I think, @chairboyscentral. No-one ever said it was a good thing. I'm certainly a lover, not a fighter, but if I had insulted someone I didn't know on the street, I'd not think myself the innocent victim had this happened to me nor that the other party was more wrong simply because he played for the football team I followed.

• I loved JJs lark with the Shrews fans too, when they shouted something about him taking it in the other direction (as if he still played for them) and him briefly feinting to do so.