Skip to content

Match day thread: Sherwsbury

Comments

• edited November 2019

I've just had a close look at the highlights and it looks to me as if Roshaun Williams, in the red card incident at the end of the match, spat at Bayo. At the time I wondered why The Beast was so annoyed as he doesn't usually react in that way. If Huxtabubble had seen that then it would have been a straight red instead of a second yellow. Probably too busy twiddling with his ear piece to see it.

• Unfortunately, once you get a label in football it’s very difficult to get rid of it. We have a playing style that suits the players we have, we work hard and we don’t shirk tackles. Nothing to be ashamed of there. This cliche about anti football is utter nonsense and the first port of call for disgruntled fans of opposition teams we’ve just beaten. I had a conversation with Darius Charles yesterday about this very topic. Suffice to say that our players don’t have sleepless nights worrying about their reputation with the fans of other teams.
    Incidentally, I don’t have the free kick count to check this, but my impression was that Shrewsbury conceded more free kicks than we did.

• Wycombe 17 fouls, Shrewsbury 16. I'm pretty sure there was only one or two in it at Rotherham too. Very, very rarely do we kick a team off the park - Sunderland last season is one of the few I can remember when we've taken it too far.

• Those figures might include offsides and technical offences. I believe that Shrewsbury might have committed more outright fouls.

• edited November 2019

Yeah, I think you're right. Either way, I think it's very rare that's there's a great disparity in that sense between two sides. League One is quite a physical division all round.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    @chairboyscentral I note that he also hails their "xG domination". How many points do you get for that?

That’s the point for me with all this stuff. No points for any of it. It’s the modern day equivalent of singing ‘shit ground, no fans’ at a team you’re losing 3-0 to.

• When the football authorities decide to award points for artistic merit we might have to change our approach, but in the meantime I’m quite happy with our style of play.

• @chairboyscentral do you have possession stats for Wycombe in the first half on Saturday? No worries if not just out of interest

• @peterparrotface Worth trying whoscored.com, but I'm not sure if they're available by half.

• @glasshalffull said:
    When the football authorities decide to award points for artistic merit we might have to change our approach, but in the meantime I’m quite happy with our style of play.

Yep. People who think a team's success is less valid because it's not achieved 'stylishly' are snobs.

• edited November 2019

We're hardly the old Wimbledon are we, with a team who will kick and elbow you to bits.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @peterparrotface Worth trying whoscored.com, but I'm not sure if they're available by half.

Thanks, interesting stuff on there

• Couldn’t agree more. Snobbery is the very word I use on this topic. I wonder which would be the longer list,
    managers who get sacked for playing’attractive’ football but lose more games than they win, or managers who get sacked for playing‘ugly’ football but win more games than they lose? I think we all know the answer.

Yep. People who think a team's success is less valid because it's not achieved 'stylishly' are snobs.

I kind of agree with you, but are you old enough to remember when Greece won the Euros? It was so awful I’ve resented the entire country ever since.

• I don't remember it well, only that they didn't do a lot of football.

• @drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I kind of agree with you, but are you old enough to remember when Greece won the Euros? It was so awful I’ve resented the entire country ever since.

Nope I thought it was very funny (and still love the country. And the Retsina. Or maybe it is just the Retsina)

• @drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Surely the most annoying thing about that was that we couldn't come close to a tournament win for 50 years and they (and Denmark 92) come from nowhere playing as they like as we chase academy's, international coaches and every flavour of the month style of play going.

• Everyone was on Denmark that year!

I don't remember it well, only that they didn't do a lot of football.

Link to the offending song

• @Onlooker said:
    Everyone was on Denmark that year!

As I recall, Denmark played very attractively.

I was glad for Greece and didn't give a stuff as the style of their play. I don't recall any Italian-style cynicism.

• @Onlooker said:

Do you mean "On" as in criticising them? Or "On" them as in backing them?

If it's the former, I don't remember that, though was quite young. But surely it wasn't the latter having failed to even qualify originally!

Greece were a tough watch though. Like a poor version of the old Wimbledon, relying on free kicks, and scuffling out games.

• Speaking of set-pieces again, isn't it strange how the top four for set-piece goals in League One are all in the top five in the league.

• In the Championship, three of the top six are in the top ten for set-piece goals, and the team with the most goals from SPs in the Premier League is...oh, Manchester City.

• It stands to reason that the teams at the top of the league have more attacking play than others, so naturally will have more set pieces to score from.

Well seen in City, who basically have about 2 players over 6ft in their whole squad and ae not strong in the air throughout.

• Tbh, unless we suddenly become City, we're going to get dismissed. An Accy fan was saying to me the other week how no one took them seriously in their League Two promotion season - and by the time they did, it was too late.

• It happens! No-one took Leicester seriously, or realised Vardy loves to sprint into space, until about February of the season they won it!

• But everyone knows what they get with us @Malone...

• All I know is I'm glad home games are every other week. I wouldn't want to watch that every week.

• @Malone said:

@Onlooker said:

Do you mean "On" as in criticising them? Or "On" them as in backing them?

If it's the former, I don't remember that, though was quite young. But surely it wasn't the latter having failed to even qualify originally!

Greece were a tough watch though. Like a poor version of the old Wimbledon, relying on free kicks, and scuffling out games.

20/1 in an eight runner race - funnily enough same price as Wycombe to be promoted at the start of the season :wink:

• Just about to listen to Salopcast's latest pod, in which they discuss our style of play. Should be interesting...