Skip to content

Match day thread: Sherwsbury

Comments

• Thommo back to his very best this and last week. His defensive sprint at the end was amazing after all his hard work. Some moments of great skill too. Handy that he's come back recently and him and Gape together must be contributing to our mean defence (although 15 shots conceded today was on the high side).
    Red card right near us and true comedy!

• After a shaky first fifteen mins i thought thommo and gape were excellent today. And kashket did a lot of tracking back. To be fair it's hard to pick anyone who did not have a decent game today. And having wheeler and Pattinson come on were my two subs. Glad Gareth was reading my mind.

• edited November 2019

I do think we miss Nick Freeman's ability to pick a through ball in games like that against tight, well-drilled defences.

• @arnos_grove said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Great player who will be booed by idiots but yes I hope he's off form.

The ketchup kids have just had their first chance for up close abuse. 15 simpletons caterwauling a

@thecatwwfc said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Great player who will be booed by idiots but yes I hope he's off form.

Why are they idiots for booing someone that headbutted one of our fans? (I wasn't there and 100% don't doubt that they deserved it! But still for a player to do that makes him the c___t that people were suggesting on the terrace today)

Are you for real, or what??

• @LX1 said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    You almost have to laugh. If it was just a comment about his performance, Pierre must be incredibly unhinged. By the way, has it ever been established how many people saw what's said to have happened? A lot of fans are great authorities on it apparently.

@chairboyscentral Check out his tweet to Arsenal fans just two days earlier

Even better was after that portsmouth away game last year where they complained to our club. We dished a few little ban letters.

I walked into the ground behind this charming chap, letter in hand abusing some random steward about how it was unfair.
    Couldn't make it up!

• @Malone said:

@LX1 said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    You almost have to laugh. If it was just a comment about his performance, Pierre must be incredibly unhinged. By the way, has it ever been established how many people saw what's said to have happened? A lot of fans are great authorities on it apparently.

@chairboyscentral Check out his tweet to Arsenal fans just two days earlier

Even better was after that portsmouth away game last year where they complained to our club. We dished a few little ban letters.

I walked into the ground behind this charming chap, letter in hand abusing some random steward about how it was unfair.
    Couldn't make it up!

Slight edit...a few years back..not last year

• Returning to the main theme, I’m going to contradict my non de plume for once and say that the only disappointment for me yesterday was the attendance. Only Wimbledon and Rochdale had smaller gates in League One and less than 5,000 to watch a team in such good form is poor. Against that, those who were there were in good voice and gave excellent vocal support.

• Don't worry Al, the Couhigs are going to get 8,500 along every week

I thought the crowd was alright given the rugby had been in the morning and the weather was so shitty

• Well, the rugby and the weather were common themes everywhere else and we still had the third lowest attendance in the division so I don’t think they are mitigating factors.

• Regarding the Pierre head butting incident, if I remember correctly, although we lost that particular game and the team played poorly, Pierre actually had a decent game and certainly didn’t deserve any abuse from some little Herbert in the street.
    Then Stokes smeared some ketchup on his nose and posted a photo on Twitter.

• I think the rugby and weather are reasonable considerations when comparing against what we might normally have expected, which I suppose might have been a little over 5000. Thus, in the circumstances, the crowd wasn't that bad. However, I guess your main point is that we're going to need/ want more bums on seats if we are to go places. Don't disagree.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Well, the rugby and the weather were common themes everywhere else and we still had the third lowest attendance in the division so I don’t think they are mitigating factors.

Good point, but I meant for us. We've never been anywhere near the best supported side at this level

• Magical stuff.
    His team turn up with 3 industrial centre backs and not exactly brazilian fullbacks and make it our fault we didn't cut them open.

• (Slight haywire phone with the quoting..apologies)

• @chairboyscentral I note that he also hails their "xG domination". How many points do you get for that?

• I think he's basing that off a basic xG model - one which, quite crucially, doesn't factor in things like players in the way of shots.

• I'm a big fan of xG, but people overuse it or don't use it correctly.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I think he's basing that off a basic xG model - one which, quite crucially, doesn't factor in things like players in the way of shots.

Yeah, apparently one of the dark arts some opposition teams have an issue with is called defending. They really should try it out.

• xG (expected goals) is another one of those tedious and pointless stats that, coupled with rubbish like VAR, mean I’ve not watched a single minute of Premier League football this season.

I struggle to understand why anyone would be interested in how many goals some system claims you should’ve scored.

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2019

@arnos_grove said:
    xG (expected goals) is another one of those tedious and pointless stats that, coupled with rubbish like VAR, mean I’ve not watched a single minute of Premier League football this season.

I struggle to understand why anyone would be interested in how many goals some system claims you should’ve scored.

It's interesting when working out how likely a team is going to score in the future

• @arnos_grove said:
    xG (expected goals) is another one of those tedious and pointless stats that, coupled with rubbish like VAR, mean I’ve not watched a single minute of Premier League football this season.

Isn't the point that if you grew up watching games live with no commentary and without playing with your phone you could tell wether you were on top or not and there's a meaningful level of intent and pressure , momentum, closeness of chances and a sense of a weakness being exploited that the stats can never tell. You might miss something but you have your own point of view.
    It's handy to get a comparison or flavour of teams you haven't seen yourself but there's no guarantee that a team will play how they normally do, particularly if it hasn't been going well for them. Stats before games are mostly for the coaches and the better reviews may reference a historic pattern but are probably better off focussing on what you can see with your eyes. Having said that people do like pouring over the details and you don't have to read every review or post.

• edited November 2019

One thing xG is not is pointless and I'm very interested in it and all new analytics. Sorry if you struggle to understand that.

• Team playing on sodden pitch in pouring rain and strong winds fail to emulate Barcelona, shock horror. Whereas The Shrews' free flowing attacking play was a joy to behold.

They were excellent defensively but you can see why they've scored so few this season.

• It does make me laugh when other teams talk about anti-football. They had more yellow and red cards than us plus they frequently attempted to gain an advantage by taking free kicks and throws a lot further up the field (which they ended up being pulled up for).

Yes, every team does the latter but the difference is, we don’t complain about it and claim that our opponents are masters of the dark arts.

• Winning is a dark art. While we are near the top of the league, I fear, it's a criticism we'll just have to accept.

• I wasn't too far from the main Pierre chanters and I heard no racist abuse, or any hint of the hopefully inevitable reactions if they did happen.

Can understand the chants against him though, even if I think they're unnecessary and wouldn't get involved unless he had butted Bayo at the end rather than calm the situation down - to his credit. He played well yesterday as well, just not quite as well as Charles or Stewart.

• edited November 2019

I always have had a soft spot for Shrewsbury, but like every other club, they seem to have that section of fans who can't just take a defeat and move on, without trying to claim moral victories with "style points".

Football is a game where you try to score more than the opposition. We are doing that well right now, and not cheating (or indulging in gamesmanship more than the next team) to do it. I understand being frustrated if you feel like you had the better of the game - we had a long run of that ourselves in the latter part of last season. But at no point were we blaming the style of other teams for our upsetting results.

As for the whole "would not want to watch that every week", it is a completely irrelevant comment, as they don't have to. As long as their own team's Brazilian skills are keeping them warm at night, why even comment on the hypothetical of watching us every week? It is just an infantile passive-aggressive way of saying "You won....BUT, you should writhe in agony at winning in that manner."

No writhing here.

• edited November 2019

Had a go at some ratings. Might carry them on, might not, just seeing how it goes... https://chairboyscentral.com/2019/11/02/ratings-wycombe-1-0-shrewsbury/

• Thanks CC, I like the system and cool that you leave room for outstanding performances with medium ratings.

Keep em coming!