Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth Argyle

Comments

• Blooms scored from a tight angle

• we are all acute after last night

• @DevC said:
    I did LX. I finally got in the ground 45 minutes after arriving.

I have written again today to the chief exec of Argyle, the board director responsible for customer service , our club and the local paper, just as I did after waiting over an hour to collect pre-booked tickets at the same ground at Christmas 2016.

You might not want to hear this Dev, but I pre-booked tickets and when I saw the queue I just spoke to a steward who ushered me past everyone and straight up to the away tickets collection window.

• @rmjlondon said:
    hate to say this but we looked better when Adam went off !!

I'd actually agree with that to be fair!

• he didn;t want to hear that @Jonny_King

• @Jonny_King there are three sides to every argument

• It is a natural reflex in this community

• Met up with a few of the lads in a club last night. I won't mention his name but one member was acting the fool after getting pulled up.

He said 'i so silly e's'

I'll get my coat

• Pilled

• Plymouth came flying out the traps and we struggled with the pace of Grant and Ladapo, conceding a goal so soft it was almost comical. People can point the finger at Allsopp, but El-Abd was also horribly exposed for pace by Ladapo. We looked disjointed and were sloppy in possession. Sometimes we lost the ball trying to be inventive and I can live with that, but our failure at times to make 10 yard passes was concerning. CMS had a great game and when we got the ball down we played some good stuff in the first period, but when we did try to launch it long it didn't really work and it seemed to take us a while to get it in our heads that Bayo wasn't playing. Harriman wasn't bad at what I took to be a right wing back role, although he was outshone by McCarthy who spent most of the match bombing forward and was excellent on the ball. Not convinced that JJ has the pace to play LWB and he didn't have his best game for us last night. Argyle looked much the better side in the early stages, but we gradually grew into the half and I wasn't as downbeat 1-0 down at HT as I might have been.

The second half was pretty much all Wycombe, save for the odd Argyle breakaway. Easily the best I've seen Wycombe play in quite some time. It's great that we're creating so many chances, but we do need to become more clinical. Kashket and Bayo coming on was the catalyst. However good the descriptions of Kashket's performance sound, the reality was better. He looked fit and sharp and was a joy to watch on the ball, showing some clever touches and gliding past defenders like they weren't there. Nine times out of ten that shot hits the post and goes in. CMS, McCarthy, Bayo, Stewart, Morris, Sido and Williams deserve mentions too for their displays. Considering we were losing most of the game, it was strange to come away oddly frustrated that we hadn't won in the end.

Interesting that for all the talk of making panicked changes, we did indeed change the system and a few personnel and on the whole I think it worked. I'd like to see us give it another chance on Saturday.

As usual, the tin-hatted Argyle fans howled for every decision and on the way out the ground I heard a lot of the usual comments about 'cheating Wycombe', despite us just playing them off the park in the second half. El-Abd was booed when he went down and treated to chants of "same old Wycombe, always cheating" as he was helped off the pitch. If anyone can work out how a player going off injured is to our advantage please let me know; at 1-0 down we certainly weren't time-wasting. The fact that AEA became the third consecutive injured Wycombe player to be booed off at Home Park shouldn't have surprised me. Booing an injured player is sickeningly low behaviour. No class. I have to say though, that having Sido's pace at the back did seem to improve us.

Nice to see Tafari Moore in their side and he had a decent game, one of their better players in fact. He came over and applauded the Wycombe fans at the end which was a nice touch. Hopefully means he couldn't hear the half a dozen morons booing him and calling him a **** during the game.

Finally - Matt Bloomfield. What an effing legend!

• p.s - insert triangle pun here.

• @Jonny_King said:
    Plymouth came flying out the traps and we struggled with the pace of Grant and Ladapo, conceding a goal so soft it was almost comical. People can point the finger at Allsopp, but El-Abd was also horribly exposed for pace by Ladapo. We looked disjointed and were sloppy in possession. Sometimes we lost the ball trying to be inventive and I can live with that, but our failure at times to make 10 yard passes was concerning. CMS had a great game and when we got the ball down we played some good stuff in the first period, but when we did try to launch it long it didn't really work and it seemed to take us a while to get it in our heads that Bayo wasn't playing. Harriman wasn't bad at what I took to be a right wing back role, although he was outshone by McCarthy who spent most of the match bombing forward and was excellent on the ball. Not convinced that JJ has the pace to play LWB and he didn't have his best game for us last night. Argyle looked much the better side in the early stages, but we gradually grew into the half and I wasn't as downbeat 1-0 down at HT as I might have been.

The second half was pretty much all Wycombe, save for the odd Argyle breakaway. Easily the best I've seen Wycombe play in quite some time. It's great that we're creating so many chances, but we do need to become more clinical. Kashket and Bayo coming on was the catalyst. However good the descriptions of Kashket's performance sound, the reality was better. He looked fit and sharp and was a joy to watch on the ball, showing some clever touches and gliding past defenders like they weren't there. Nine times out of ten that shot hits the post and goes in. CMS, McCarthy, Bayo, Stewart, Morris, Sido and Williams deserve mentions too for their displays. Considering we were losing most of the game, it was strange to come away oddly frustrated that we hadn't won in the end.

Interesting that for all the talk of making panicked changes, we did indeed change the system and a few personnel and on the whole I think it worked. I'd like to see us give it another chance on Saturday.

As usual, the tin-hatted Argyle fans howled for every decision and on the way out the ground I heard a lot of the usual comments about 'cheating Wycombe', despite us just playing them off the park in the second half. El-Abd was booed when he went down and treated to chants of "same old Wycombe, always cheating" as he was helped off the pitch. If anyone can work out how a player going off injured is to our advantage please let me know; at 1-0 down we certainly weren't time-wasting. The fact that AEA became the third consecutive injured Wycombe player to be booed off at Home Park shouldn't have surprised me. Booing an injured player is sickeningly low behaviour. No class. I have to say though, that having Sido's pace at the back did seem to improve us.

Nice to see Tafari Moore in their side and he had a decent game, one of their better players in fact. He came over and applauded the Wycombe fans at the end which was a nice touch. Hopefully means he couldn't hear the half a dozen morons booing him and calling him a **** during the game.

Finally - Matt Bloomfield. What an effing legend!

Exactly how I saw it too. Kashket could be one hell of a player if he shakes off his seemingly permanent injury problems. I've been replaying the shot that hit the post multiple times today. Would have been incredible scenes had it gone in!

• edited August 2018

Sounds like we are getting there. Although I have been conservative in my predictions, I would be happy to slip down the @DevC league if we could get three points in Bradford before Nathan's hatters come to town. I have no triangle pun to offer.

• I would put my hat on us beating Bradford.

My hat, it has three corners

• A tricorne then.

• With all these triangle puns you’d think we’d been playing at Poxford

• @Jonny_King nobody can be arsed to read all that

• @LX1 I predict you'll read it off your tits at 2:45 tomorrow morning.

• But yeah, sorry, it was a bit long.

• @Jonny_King it was a bit long and hurt a bit. No need to boast though

• wading through all the pun sh!te to read a couple of good posts, @jonny_king and someone else

• @Jonny_King what is the significance of 2.45? Not 2 or 3. 2.45

• Not just Kashket's shot not going in, agonisingly the rebound fell directly back into the keeper's arms! There's about 4 Wycombe players all in the box ready to tap in the winner, unbelievable bad luck.

• @LX1 I figured finish drinking at 2 then a bit of a queue to get a kebab?

I don't mean this to sound judgemental. You are my hero.

• One of these days we are going to win a game we deserve to lose. And oh, how I will laugh. Maniacally, at that.

If you equalize three times, do the goals form an equilateral triangle?

• Only if they're all corners.

• I was really disappointed where Moore didn’t sign for us. Even more so when he signed for Plymouth.

• Given we already have two right backs and were chasing a third in McCarthy, hard to see how Moore would have fitted in.

johnny, not sure it is right to say Tafari came over to clap us. Gareth virtually picked him up on the halfway line and dragged him to us. tafari looked quite bemused. I think he was scared he had been kidnapped.

I'm afraid the loudest chants of "same old wycombe, always cheating" came from our knobheada at the back. Not their finest hour.