Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth Argyle

Comments

• I thought we dominated the last 15 minutes of the first half and carried that momentum into that brilliant second half performance.

• Delighted for Blooms. I was a staunch supporter of his performances at the end of last season, but not so impressed with the start of this season, hence my earlier comment wanting Saunds in. However, although he's not exactly been a goal machine, he's popped up with some crucial ones in his time, and tonight's was extremely timely.

• Having missed the whole first half due to a fatality on the train line, I can be blissfully and ignorantly optimistic. If I was to catch any half of football, that was a great one to have, dominated by Wycombe and exciting end to end stuff. It was brilliant how patient we were, keeping the ball, switching play, looking for an opening. Some great passes from Morris. He looks like a class act, not sure why we have been allowed to have him. McCarthy was brilliant getting forward from right back. CMS did a great job in the central role. Williams looked class as he has done so far. Bayo looked more like his old self, holding the ball up and Kaskett looked exciting. Bloomfield and Gape were running tirelessly. I am not too disappointed to have El Abd injured as Sido does give that extra pace. We looked more solid with the 4-4-2 but the gamble to go 4-3-3 paid off. We did struggle to get many shots away, despite a lot of attacking possession and crosses, in the second half Argyle seemed to have less attacking possession but just as many shots as us. But overall, what a performance. Hopefully we can produce some more of that.

• Kashket looks more than exciting. If he avoids injury we could see a Wycombe legend. Enjoy.

• A> @LX1 said:

Kashket looks more than exciting. If he avoids injury we could see a Wycombe legend. Enjoy.

I’ll drink to that @LX1.

• Read the Plymouth forum this morning generally good comments towards wycombe admitting we should have had the three points and played them off the park second half. Saying that a few said we were good but going down as we were relegation fodder..... Adams not very popular either.

• Strange argument to say a player playing in a certain position isn't a silly idea, when it completely didn't work!
    But anyway what a second half performance. Even on my shoddy slow stream it looked good stuff.
    Roll on playing like that often.

I thought CMS looked the best I've seen him when central for us, Morris looked what we hoped, and it all sort of came together.
    I have a feeling that Plymouth will be scuffling lower mid table at best, but I also feel if we play at our best level we can compete with most in the league.

• edited August 2018

Must be so frustrating for GA. After last season’s defensive frailties, he now has 4 quality L1 central defenders in the squad, but 2 of them crocked and it’s only August...

• edited August 2018

Did I hear @bluntphil correctly when he said Gareth had brought Derek a bunch of flowers? If true, is that a. a classy reconciliation move, or b. a world class piss take, bringing flowers for the lady of the house?

Of course, I had a hard day yesterday and this could of all been fatique!

• With respect Malone, you are missing the point. Perfidious Albion said it was a stupid idea to even suggest that Harriman could play in attack but the manager clearly disagreed. Whether it worked or not is another issue. However, it’s history now so let’s move on.

• Fair doings old son!

Yesterday was the first time I started thinking McCarthy could do an excellent job at right back, so Mr Harriman may be fretting for his place going forward.
    Competition for places is what you want though!

I'd start Jombati and Stewart centre back next game, McCarthy right back, and have a think about right sided attacker.

• @niebieski It was said in jest I'm afraid. Brief, firm handshakes all round.

• It was fun to see you and the other commentary people alongside us last night, Phil. Would have liked to have come over to say "Hello" but you had quite rightly erected all that netting to stop the Wycombe fans getting to you.

Quite a few people seemed to be working on commentary for one station or another. Was that about the normal number?

• What an absolute legend Gareth Ainsworth is.

I know it may be a bit silly to get excited about a draw but having slept on it I still think that 2nd half was mad. Plan b? We had plan ABC xy and z. And that was before lash and bayo came on. We were solving tricky quadratic equations all over the park. I imagine the team talk at half time was a bit like 2 lovers whose sex life had gone a bit flat. Garreth suggests 'lets just express ourselves'.

• I think BBC Devon have two different teams - one that commentates on the match and tells people what's actually happening, and another whose feed goes directly into Derek Adams' ear, saying how great he is and how the opposition are only wiping the floor with his team because they're cheating.

• Personally, I thought Harriman did really well at right wing. I know we scored after he went off, but Harri was instrumental in our brilliant play at the start of that half - which should have led to at least one goal.

I also don't think the first half was that bad. We let in early, but the rest of the half was more or less even. Overall, a fantastic performance where we deserved to win.

• On a different note was anyone else stupid enough to buy a ticket on the day? One ticket office was serving both home and away fans. I got there about ten minutes before kick off knowing I might miss the start, but eventually got in with 20 minutes on the clock. I reckon around 250 people were queueing at ko. Spoke to a few staff about it and they all said 'i know we have loads of complaints about it, we should have pay on the gate.' I've watched football all over the world and never experienced such a bizarre situation. We've had some issues at ap recently but nowhere near that last night

• I did LX. I finally got in the ground 45 minutes after arriving.

I have written again today to the chief exec of Argyle, the board director responsible for customer service , our club and the local paper, just as I did after waiting over an hour to collect pre-booked tickets at the same ground at Christmas 2016. Last year they couldn't even be bothered to reply. I'll let you know if they do this time.

The organisation there really is staggeringly incompetent for what is notionally at least a "big club"

• Good work I will also email both clubs.

Seeing as you asked...I found the Waterfront pub pretty much as you described..very pleasant meal by the sea, bar pretty soulless, obviously an eatery more than a 'pub' aimed more at the tourist market. Walked to Mutley after the match and ended up on Union Street late doors. Nightlife a bit disappointing for a city butguess it's a Tuesday with the students away

• @bluntphil said:
    @niebieski It was said in jest I'm afraid. Brief, firm handshakes all round.

Now I need the handshake photo because the flowers image needs to be realised!

• Having seen the highlights it really appears that we were unlucky not to win in the end.

I'm with @LX1 in that it seems daft to be getting so excited over a point, but i was subjected to the Lu'on coverage on 3CR before the game, and they were talking about how they needed to adjust to the pace of life in L1. Maybe in May we'll look back on last night as the game where we managed that.

• The second half was a complete domination job that was quite a shock after the way Plymouth (like other teams this season) ran rings round us in midfield for periods in the first half, mixed with us completely not being able to handle their front man.

If we can cut out the massive handicap of conceding in the 3rd min, we'll give ourself a chance.

• Groans of disappointment in Troll Land.

• hate to say this but we looked better when Adam went off !!

• Just watched the highlights at last...seeing as they are compiled by neutrals it looks like we made a decent show and yes...how did the Kashket one not go in? I think we're getting in gear.

• Pythagoras would have been flummoxed by the triangles we were playing second half

• @LX1 said:
    Pythagoras would have been flummoxed by the triangles we were playing second half

Agreed, we had Plymouth in a right tangle.

• A sine of things to come?

• Here we go off on a tangent again

• These threads get more and more obtuse.