Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth Argyle

Comments

• That was a hell of a second half. I wish we could play like that in the first half of games too. Agree with @Shev that CMS was man of the match, incredible work rate and decent defending when he went out to the wing too. Scotty Kashket looked like a championship player when he came on.

• What a brilliant second half that was. I still can't believe that Kashket chance didn't go in.

• Feels like a much more significant moment than just gettin a point away from home. The season starts here!

• Great point, really superb, and a fantastic second half performance. Kudos to Ainsworth for switching things around. If Kashket can stay fit all season I think he could do some serious damage in this division.

• Oxford twice gave up a lead to lose at home to Accrington. Sensational scenes.

• @Tom , you tend to get streams either for premier league games, or on televised games.

Tonight wasn't televised as such, so would need one of the 50 fans or so who paid to watch it to specifically link it up...fairly unlikely.

• I was following mostly on Twitter - what formation did we play? We must have changed when the subs came on?

• And how did Morris do?

• That was an excellent second half. I thought Gape, Morris and McCarthy really ran the game from the middle and the right flank. Kashkett looked fantastic and caused all sorts of problems from the bench.

I also though Sido had an excellent game and stopped their striker getting so much time and space, as he had in the first half.

Annoyingly, it was a poor piece of goalkeeping to put us behind again early in the game. Need to cut out the mistakes.

Nonethless, I'm feeling much, much more positive after tonight. We may not have got the win but that looked like a team that can be competitive in this league.

• Big error early doors, and at times in the first half we were getting overrun.
    Second half gives us a massive hope we can cut it in this league. We were very good.
    As per @Glenactico with the ratings.
    If only that Kashket strike hadn't hit the post.

• Happy with the point having gone behind so early, my main worry QPR lost heavily again, how long for Wally with the brolly, surely they will call Gareth.

• That was some turn around in performance. At half time I was really beginning to worry as we’d made the changes to the lineup yet seemed to remain dedicated to just hoofing the ball up field.

Second half started and you could see they’d been told to take more time on the ball and find a pass. Morris & Gape started to dictate the play and McCarthy was more willing to drive forward.

In the end I actually feel frustrated we didn’t take all three points. That level of performance has to be the standard now.

• @glasshalffull said:
    So Perfidious Albion, still think Harriman in attack is a stupid suggestion?

Yes, things only improved when he was subbed, case proven.

• No it isn’t. You ridiculed the very idea that he could be selected to play in that position but he was. The fact that he was substituted is irrelevant.

• Surely it's not irrelevant if the performance improved after he was sustituted.

• No one said that Harriman would be the answer to all our prayers in that position, it was merely suggested that it might be worth trying him there and GA obviously felt the same way. The fact that it didn’t come off (tonight) is another matter.

• Anyway, didn’t we play well? If we can replicate that second half performance most weeks we’ll be ok.
    So many players were outstanding and Plymouth must know they got away with a lucky point.

• Come on @glasshalffull, this is a great night, a time to celebrate a fine result. Why are you trying to pick a fight?

• Wasn’t there but from what i’ve read it does sound a bit like we have been learning from our defeats as GA suggested.

• That second half was almost surreal. Wycombe playing one touch football like Barcelona

• @floyd I think the angry tomato just completely missed the point of your post

• Glorious football second half - gutted we only have 2 from the 6 on offer from Blackpool and Plymouth, but it's a learning curve. Morris is going to be vital this first half of the season. So proud of every man, and hope the captain is not out long.

• Floyd, if you were being sarcastic I misread it and duly apologise but I genuinely thought you were having a go at Blooms who I thought had an excellent game.

• Fantastic. Sounds like we deserved all 3 points. Let’s hope we use tonight as a kick start to the season.

From what I’ve heard from people there Kashket was superb when he came on, what a difference he could make if he gets a run of games.

• Absolutely brilliant second half, which made the 4.5 hour journey from Milton Keynes and stay over worthwhile. As the team became increasingly on top the Wycombe fans responded and there were wild scenes when the equaliser finally came. So many opportunities were created and the passing, movement and interplay was great to watch. IMO we didn't play too badly in the first half after a jittery start. Loads of balls into their box. Several outstanding performances tonight especially CMS and McCarthy,

• A real voyage of discovery tonight’s game.

Firstly, welcome to my life iFollow. With added Catchpole too, what’s not to like.

Secondly, fabulous second half performance. We can play at this level and don’t have to hoof.

Thirdly, great efforts from CMS up front. Good to see we really do have another option.

Fourthly, write the Beast off at your peril. What a brilliant piece of control and set up play high up the field for the equaliser. He made the difference in the end.

Fifthly, Bryn Morris was terrific. Nice to see a player who can dictate the game from the middle of the park.

Sixthly, marvellous from Matt Bloomfield. Nearly scored with a hammer of a shot in first half. Never stopped running and deserved his goal. He must have the biggest heart in Buckinghamshire.

Seventhly, Jason McCarthy is definitely a right back. Hugely energetic effort from him. Virtually played as a right winger in second half.

Eighthly, Sido stiffened things up at the back and his telescopic legs kept getting the ball off the Plymouth forwards. I think the defence that finished the match may actually prove to be our strongest.

Ninthly, and finally, Scott Kashket is starting to look the part again. What a huge bonus that would be.

• Second half was some of the best I have ever seen a Wycombe side play. The ball was as glue to the feet of CMS. Anthony Stewart made two mmajestic runs through the middle of the park. Dom Gape was everywhere. Scotty Kashket was so very close. Whole team were heroes.
    What a game.

• edited August 2018

Garbage in the first half. Overrun by a modest opposition. Incredibly soft goal: punished again for another callow error, this time by Allsop. Played like relegation certainties.

Awesome in the second half. CMS won everything that came within two metres of him, Kashket got the team buzzing on the ball: all the sharpness that's been missing from our attack came onto the pitch with him. We could and should have won. Played like the team that won promotion last season.

A bit like an extreme version of Saturday's performance. We've got to sort out the bad halves pronto or we'll go down. We looked clueless in the first half.

• No worries @glasshalffull, we’re all friends tonight!

• Excellent especially for Morris it sounds like. An away point is not to be sniffed at.