Skip to content

Andrew Howard + Shirt Speculation

191011121315»

Comments

• Come to this thread late so apologies if off the point or already covered. I feel we get too hung up on quarters shirt design, seems to me the more you mess with its ‘purity’ : fabric, swans, sponsors, interpretations of light blue etc the less impressive it is. Showing my age perhaps but the best World Cup kit for me has to be Uruguay, mainly because it is the kit Wycombe wore when I first started watching them, I’d love to see us have a couple of seasons back in that kit, in The Championship of course.

• The kit we wore with the light blue top and proper dark blue collar (the ‘Middlesbrough’ year) and dark blue shorts was pure class. I wouldn’t object that much if we did revert to that for a very limited period

• Looking back at those kits, quite a lot of them don't look particularly great in hindsight.

Clearly peaked in the 90-94 days (from those images, the difference looks to merely be brand, and some shorts swoosh), although I really liked the Wembley defeat season kit.

• @bookertease But would you have the yellow numbers? Was never too keen on those myself (or the red ones, c1970-72).

• @NewburyWanderer were they yellow? In my mind I can see them as dark blue

• @bookertease Yellow from about 1972 until around 78 or 79. Fairly pale shade. Matched the colour of the change shirt of the time.

• Seem to have peaked at a quartered kit in 90-94 (barely any difference bar supplier in those kits?)
    Looking back years on, a lot of those that followed look pain average, either due to the logo, the tone used, or just general design.

I loved that Wembley defeat season kit. Best once since the early 90s for me.

• @NewburyWanderer ah how the mind plays tricks. Can’t say it worried me much at the time but I admit it doesn’t sound good

• I don’t think the 1992-94 kit is right - the sleeves were nothing like that. I’m not even sure there was a long-sleeve version but maybe someone has a better memory.

Pedantry I know.

• @Ned_Ludd Pictures from Chairboys On The Net suggest your memory is correct and the historical kit site incorrect on the 92-94 shirt: http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1993-1994/1993_94_preview.htm

• @bookertease you can get the 74/75 replica kit on Toffs website. Interesting that back then they were happy enough with a diagonal WWFC logo rather than the club badge - and of course, no shirt sponsor.

• I have received the new replica home kit today and it’s great. I really like the ‘denim’ effect. I could still do without the big red logo but even with it it’s my favourite kit in a long time. Maybe ever?

• @LeedsBlue Thanks for the pointer. I may well do that.

• @LX1 Fighting talk!

• A little known fact is that the short-tempered purveyor of frozen dairy products was the subject of a fly on the wall documentary on Channel 4 many years ago

My guess is he may have reacted to the news that they lost the Swan contract a bit better now.

• A little known fact is that the short-tempered purveyor of frozen dairy products was the subject of a fly on the wall documentary on Channel 4 many years ago

My guess is he may have reacted to the news that they lost the Swan contract a bit better now.