Skip to content

Andrew Howard + Shirt Speculation

Comments

• It's Peter not Shirley!

• I want quarters, a swan and a big red logo and I want it now!

• I'd say Bristol Rovers are more well known for wearing quarters...appreciate I'm in the minority but prefer the plain blue shirts of the 80s.

• edited July 2018

I long for a return to standard sizing...I don't relish the prospect of getting stuck inside a 3XL while trying one on for size in the club shop.

• @peterparrotface I meant light/dark blue quarters specifically. People know that's Wycombe Wanderers right away.

I don't mean to belittle your opinion though, fair enough if you prefer the 70s/80s shirts, but for me personally the quarters should be sacrosanct.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I want quarters, a swan and a big red logo and I want it now!

You want it all and you want it now ?
    Perhaps your words could be set to music.

• Don't be such a Wonka.

• I am with Peter Parrot and Carlos and long for a return of the sky blue shirts and socks and Navy shorts.
    But I'm pretty sure this will never happen, but surely we can bring back those beautiful huge yellow numbers.

• I was thinking more of Freddy @Jonny_King.

• Never liked Freddie Wonka

• @micra Great, so I just pun-abused you for no reason. I am the worst kind of person.

• Three things should be sacrosanct at every club: your name, your colours and the name of your stadium (unless you build a new one, of course). Our colours are unique and personality I love the quarters and hope we never change.

• The shirt is definitely unique among football clubs now, with a gurt swan on the front!

• What are the charter rules re. frequency of coming out with a new change kit?

It doesn’t offend me either way, but we only had the white kit for a year, yet are seemingly keeping the orange one for 2...

• @glasshalffull said:
    Three things should be sacrosanct at every club: your name, your colours and the name of your stadium (unless you build a new one, of course). Our colours are unique and personality I love the quarters and hope we never change.

I suppose there’s no risk of Adams Park becoming Cherry Red Records Stadium Mark 2? The owner of CRR is Chairman of their Trust who, if I understand it correctly, effectively own and govern the club. Financial involvement with more than one club is presumably within the rules as long as it falls short of ownership.
    I seem to recall that the Maxwell family contravened the rules many years ago in efforts to take over and merge Oxford United and Reading with the aim of creating Thames Valley United. At least that’s my unresearched recollection.

• @micra For clarity's sake, are you referring to CRR also sponsoring AFC Wimbledon? I seem to recall Kingsmeadow was briefly renamed the Cherry Red Records Stadium, but I could just be making that up.

I'd just about managed to forget the Causeway debacle and I'm sure no-one in a position of power at our club would want to be the one to suggest going down that tawdry route again.

• No, you’re not making it up @Jonny_King.
    A Wimbledon supporting friend emailed me this morning to say that Cherry Red Records sponsorship of Wycombe kit was disturbing to AFC fans because the company is a major sponsor there and, as I think I mentioned above, the owner chairs their Trust.

For sponsorship purposes the ground is (and has been for several seasons) officially known as the Cherry Red Records Stadium. But the site freehold is owned by Kingston Council and the leasehold by Chelsea FC who will take over the ground next year when Wimbledon move to their new stadium. In the meantime Chelsea use the ground for their ladies’ matches.

My mate was concerned that the interest of CRR in Wycombe might be the thin end of the wadge (sorry!) and that a “Maxwell situation” might arise. I don’t think so!

• In his interview, the managing director (who posted on here) mentioned their interest in Wimbledon, calling the next meeting of the clubs "The Cherry Red Classico" - I think they are pretty open about it being two fans at the top of a company wanting to help both their teams.

• Hi @Shev: it was an email I sent to the Wimbledon guy, intended as no more than an amusing reference to the absurdity of a League 1 “Classico”, that sparked his unexpected (and no doubt unjustified) concern about potential conflicts of interest if the financial support eventually went beyond kit sponsorship.

• I'm not local so no idea what a gurt Swan is @Uncle_T I do know that chain at the back end makes it look a bit incontinent though...

• Utilita sponsor many clubs in the premiership,Championship, League 1 and 2 and a bunch of non league clubs. It's a non-issue.

Cherry Red have two partners,one of which is a Don and the other a Chairboy and they invest in their own passion presumably on a similar level financially.

There's nothing to see here.

• Samsung/FIFA15 sponsored three clubs with a near identical agreement the year we had them on our shirts. Ourselves, Swindon and Leyton Orient. Agree its really not much of an issue.

Shirt sponsors don't get juicy access to club accounts, decision making or other sensitive info.

• As I’ve said to me mate, it’s not very likely that Adam Velasco is planning to escalate his involvement to the level (Trust Chairman) of his CRR colleague at AFC Wimbledon.

• End of........?

• @micra "Thames Valley Royals" I believe was the plan...

• There's no conflict of in interests unless there is a deal that we care not allowed to win at the cherry red stadium

• are not allowed to win *
  • @LeedsBlue said:
    @micra "Thames Valley Royals" I believe was the plan...

Yes, that was it. Thanks.

• edited July 2018

Whilst on historicalfootballkits.com, I found the initial reason for ditching the quarters in the 60s interesting (if true):

"In the late 1960s, Wycombe followed the trend for ditching traditional colours, considered old fashioned at the time, in favour of plain Cambridge blue shirts and Oxford blue shorts. Programme notes researched by Dave Peatey state, Wycombe wore their new plain sky blue shirts and dark blue shorts for the first time in the game on December 31st 1966 against Corinthian-Casuals. The quarters may have made a few more appearances but were definitely retired by 1969-70."

The mindset nowadays is the reverse, with a strong traditional identity being desirable, even if as a general base to work from (as we can see with our ability to add swans). Also interesting to note was the amount of time Wycombe have spent in each look:

Quarters: 63 years

Plain light blue: 24 years

Halves: 20 years

Stripes: 14 years

"Blue Villa" (1912-1921): 9 years

So a lot of variety, with five different general looks, but in four years, Wycombe will have played in quarters as much as the other four looks combined.

• Looking at Wycombe's kit history on:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Wycombe_Wanderers/Wycombe_Wanderers.htm

I found it interesting to note how long the team has worn each basic shirt design (according to the site):

Quarters: 63 years

Plain light blue: 24 years

Halves (incl. 2012-13): 20 years

Stripes: 14 years

"Blue Villa" (1912-21): 9 years

That's quite a lot of variety, though it is worth pointing out that the quarters have been worn 63 of the last 89 years, and that in four more years, the quarters will have been worn more than the other four types combined.

Maybe there will have to be a sixth category, too:

Great big honking swan on quarters (2018-20): 2 years