Skip to content

Our own idiot element have been at it again

Comments

• <DevC>Your average swordsman tends to like a KitKat Chunky, Bovril and a packet of crisps at half time. If they buy those at the ground at a cost of roughly £3, WWFC are making a profit of around £0.25p per match per swordsman accounting for wages for the spotty youth serving and the electricity cost of running the Bovril machine. Let's assume there are 10 swordsman who attend 93% of our 23 home games, over the course of a season that adds up to £53.48 in profit excluding ticket sales that we'll lose by banning them. I just don't think Trust ownership is sustainable. </DevC>

• edited November 2017

@drcongo That's still a more informed analysis than Facebook-gate.

At least here he would display some rudimentary understandings of the costs and expenses before arriving at a conclusion. Whereas with Facebook he proclaimed their advertising useless, despite not knowing the costs, labour, OR the likely returns.

• Post of the Year contender

• Actually made me laugh out loud.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    I'm with Midlander on this one. I don't see the point of banning the person for any longer than the season. Surely the message is as clear for that duration as it is for 3 years, with the obvious exception being that the person is more likely to return to the football club and won't miss out on the benefits of attending games with the people they regularly go with. Just because someone says something racist doesn't mean they are racist, they may just be behaving in a moronic way. You shouldn't judge someone based on incident, you are being a "moron" if you do that.

I hate how some on here will admit to breaking the 1985 law previously, but then are quick to defend themselves saying that you were good little boys and didn't bother anyone. If you are that intoxicated how can you be sure you didn't say or do anything as offensive, be it not racist in the earshot of someone at the game.

Those guys are in a development part of their lives just like we all were at that age. There is no excuse for racism, but when people show remorse and are prepared to learn from mistakes we should give them that opportunity IMHO.

• And that type of liberal thinking is, I’m afraid, exactly what has led to the general decline in behaviour and respect for others that we have witnessed in this country in recent times.

• For the record Oxford, I didn't argue that facebook and other social media advertising does not have its place. I did argue that it is not a panacea and lack of it does not explain the relatively low home attendance by Solihull.

Glad but a little surprised Eric found Dr Congo's post amusing. Hard to understand perhaps why his Stand-Up career failed to take off....

No idea what glasshalffull is on about.

• @glasshalffull I disagree that there has been a general decline in behaviour and respect for others. When is the benchmark that this decline started from?

While there is always unpleasantness I think things are tending to improve rather than the other way round. The arguments about clause 28 in the late eighties are unthinkable now. There has been push back from the 'alt-right' with things like gamergate, but that is because progress against towards equality and fairness is being made. The Weinstein and related stuff is of course awful, but the fact we know about these incidents and behaviours now, and there is a consensus that it is unacceptable is a step forward from where we were. It all adds up to a greater level of respect. Racism and homophobia is, in the main, not acceptable at football grounds where until relatively recently it would have been commonplace.

• Agree with Chris. On the whole behaviour is much better in modern society than it has been before. Glasshalfempty would be a more appropriate username. Misty eyed nostalgic rambling.

• edited November 2017

These types of threads are very popular eh.

• For nuance read nuisance.

• edited November 2017

Standard middle aged man talk from glasshalffull! Behaviour standards now are incomparable to 30/40 years ago. If you transported a generic group of 18-25 year olds from the 70s/80s they'd be labelled outright racists/ homophobes by todays standards

• Just finished reading a book called Pitch Black about the experience of black footballers in 1970s - 1990s (and I recall witnessing appalling scenes at Chelski when Ruud Gullit was in charge!) and to be fair things have improved drastically...or at least become more hidden...nowadays. Unless someone decides you look like a gypsy, obviously.

• Chelsea fans didn't cover themselves in glory when they had a Jewish manager far more recently than that

• @eric_plant As my old man always said to me, "its easy to compare oneself to the worst."

• edited November 2017

"Where the supporter is from, calling someone by a racist name is just a friendly greeting".

ie the Suarez Liverpool defence.

Surprised some of the drone's "pals" haven't got the t shirts sorted...

• If > @Username said:

Standard middle aged man talk from glasshalffull! Behaviour standards now are incomparable to 30/40 years ago. If you transported a generic group of 18-25 year olds from the 70s/80s they'd be labelled outright racists/ homophobes by todays standards

if you don’t think there’s been a decline in behaviour and respect then I guess you haven’t been to many town or city centres on a Friday or Saturday night. Standard trendy talk from a liberal who wants to see good in everybody.

• but @glasshalffull is right of course...we're going to hell in handcart thanks to liberalism, young people, vegetarianism, long hair, the pill and the raucous bang bang bang of so-called 'pop music'. You can't hear the words...

• @Wendoverman said:
    but glasshalffull is right of course...we're going to hell in handcart thanks to liberalism, young people, vegetarianism, long hair, the pill and the raucous bang bang bang of so-called 'pop music'. You can't hear the words...

Disrespecting opinions on social media with which you disagree can be added to your sarcastic list.

• ‘Standard trendy talk from a liberal’

Are people better or worse these days at giving it out but not being able to take it without whinging?

• As a fully paid up member of the liberal elite, I’ve written an original and powerful poem that will make anyone dissing today’s youth think again!

“The youth of today has got lots to say
    It's our life it's our future
    Because we're living today, so don't blame the youth”

• Confusing sarcasm with satire, I think, @glasshalffull.

• Standard gasroom debate again, the usual dullard posters venting their spleen with feigned indignation, yawn...

• @RogertheBandito said:
    Standard gasroom debate again, the usual dullard posters venting their spleen with feigned indignation, yawn...

Well that post’s raised the gasroom scintillation bar...

• I refer you to my previous post...

• Remember when people said bringing in user registration would improve the gasroom?

We're on our arse!

• It may not be in every respect the most well-informed of discussions but I can live with it. It's not especially abusive or mindless.

• @RogertheBandito said:
    I refer you to my previous post...

How’s that Tory landslide Roger? Is that the reason you’re still a bit grumpy?

• @glasshalffull said:
    If > Username said:
    if you don’t think there’s been a decline in behaviour and respect then I guess you haven’t been to many town or city centres on a Friday or Saturday night. Standard trendy talk from a liberal who wants to see good in everybody.

I bet you the average amount of violent behaviour and drunkenness is lower now than it was when you were a lad, whenever that was.

• O tempora, o mores! We've been going to hell in a handcart for at least 2,000 years