Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• I thought I had seen him playing CB in a home game but not which game...not sure he was ideal in that position. Having Grimmer and McCarthy would be excellent and though not perfect surely they could also cover left-back if they had to...and score from corners.

• We'll need to being in a left-footed CB as well, need to keep the balance when Darius can't play.

• I worry a bit about Darius next season. The number of midweek games along with TV games at odd times won't help him. I don't know if you can build a defence with so much rotation. Surely the 'third' centre back will be a decent quality and should really be a starter full time.

Not sure this discussion is in the right place

• With Darius' leadership and composure, could he play regularly as a substitute, shoring up the defence to secure points from wining positions, and draws away from home?

I could see us 'shit housing' some games with a back 5 for the last 25+ minutes.

• I share the concerns about Darius, but he's confounded us at every turn so far.

Fewer games in the Championship too, with no FLT or FA Cup first and second rounds.

• Get an 'experienced at this level' CB and rotate to save Darius a bit of pain.

• My post a few minutes ago on the bizarre transfer rumours thread is relevant to this discussion.

• edited July 2020

Doh!

• Foiled again! I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids...

• Gotten @NorsQuarters ?! One old English word that has, oddly, survived the American mangle.

• Awful thread this. Some have concerns that McCarthy is too good to be a Championship squad centre/right back. Others have concerns that Darius won’t be able to cope with the demands of playing a full season at centre back...

• @YorkExile There have been some awful threads in the history of awful threads, but fans ruminating on the implications of and over for the step up on our present famously fragile CB and a possible future player is hardly the worst...

• Perhaps not at my most eloquent last night (for which I apologise), but the point I was failing to make was that signing McCarthy as a squad player given Charles’s injury management situation is an absolute no brainer, if we can make it happen. He would be guaranteed to start 20+ games, and we are now a Championship club. He would not object to being told Grimmer, Charles and Stewart start as first choice and it seems obvious that he would jump at the chance of rejoining us.

• Dave Winfield and Sammy Wood have both been released by Bromley.

• Tony Craig joins Crawley on a two year deal.

• Won’t let me edit my previous post for some reason. Dannie Bulganin has signed on for another year at Crawley, but this time as a player/coach.

• And I can’t edit that one either. Of course should say Bulman but for my amazing autocorrect.

• @Gary said:
    Won’t let me edit my previous post for some reason. Dannie Bulganin has signed on for another year at Crawley, but this time as a player/coach.

That is one hell of a typo :smiley:

• @Malone said:

@Gary said:
    Won’t let me edit my previous post for some reason. Dannie Bulganin has signed on for another year at Crawley, but this time as a player/coach.

That is one hell of a typo :smiley:

Haha I tried so hard to edit it but alas, it wasn’t to be. He’s the reason I support this club too, so the shame is real!

• Goodness, your autocorrect knows its soviet history well. Nikolai Bulganin was the preening, inefficient prime minister under Nikolai Khrushchev and a figure very much consigned to obscurity!

• Craig Makell-Smith in talks with Kettering Town, I never realised Craig's father in law, is none other than Barry Fry !!

• Sido Jombati has signed for Oldham! For a club that’s been so poor lately I would imagine he’ll be a standout player

• @DPR38 said:
    Sido Jombati has signed for Oldham! For a club that’s been so poor lately I would imagine he’ll be a standout player

Glad to see he's got fixed up with a club. Only a one year deal, but in this dodgy period just getting a club is success.

• edited August 2020

@DPR38 said:
    Sido Jombati has signed for Oldham! For a club that’s been so poor lately I would imagine he’ll be a standout player

Good for him, always liked him as a player, (despite the moments he sent me in to cardiac arrest), also as a person. Hasn't Harry Kewell just been appointed as at the manager? No wonder he only got a 1 year deal!

• How does Kewell keep getting jobs !!

• Hmm, might stick a fiver on Oldham being relegated next season. (Not because they've signed Sido)

• Sido deserves better than that absolute basket case of a club. Hopefully he actually gets paid.

• @ChasHarps said:
    How does Kewell keep getting jobs !!

To be fair he was quite a good player, so probably built up quite a big contact list. Nowadays, some badly run clubs seem to think they have to appoint a "name" as we did with Tony Adams.