Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Great story. Never forgot the goal he scored at Luton. Good luck to him.

• Or the top left corner of the net winner in the last minutes of Northampton away after we let slip a 2 goal lead. The stunned silence of those Northampton fans to our left was priceless!

• And the jubilant silence of the Wycombe fans in the home end.

• Mawson with a sweet v

• *sweet volley against Leicester

• Stunning goal...

• Kicking myself for not having backed him for first goal scorer. I read that lovely piece in the Guardian and blocked out two hours this afternoon to watch the game on Sky. What a great player we had there.

• Great player; great guy.

I remember listening on Chairboys Player two and a half years ago to the commentary on Wycombe's first match of the season at Newport and wondering who the devil Alfie Mawson was. We'd been given no inkling prior to the match that he'd been signed (the day before if memory serves) and it seemed extraordinary that a complete unknown should quite clearly be making such a remarkable impact in his very first match. Against that background and after his consistently impressive performances for us and more or less instant appointment as captain of Barnsley, it comes as no surprise that he is now acquitting himself so well in the Premier League. You really wouldn't rule out full international recognition in the not too distant future.

• If he continues developing, this seems highly likely, Micra, more for his defensive skills than his headline grabbing goalscoring exploits. Odd how even though he was never more than a loanee, he does feel one of our own. I suspect he will captain England one day.

• At the rate he's switching clubs, he'll probably be at Man City or Arsenal by the summer and Real Madrid by 2020!

• I wouldn't go as far as wild talk of captaining England, I think that's too far. Stephen Taylor seemed to have it all and barely staked a claim, let alone anywhere near that honour.

However, If he keeps scoring these goals as well as defending well, I think it's a certainty a proper big club come in for him.

Then it makes you think just that bit more about the fact that we'd agreed terms with him before he scored that Luton goal, and then it was completely off the table!

• Random one. Sat at home with man enjoying the delights of day time TV. Vanarama advert features a Craig Falconbridge, Sports Coach.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub Think you'll find Faulconbridge runs Thame United's Youth team while running a sports therapy business during the week. Also at Thame is of course Westy and Steven Gregory.

• Steven Gregory has had an odd career hasn't he? I remember watching him and Russ Martin for the youth team and reserves, and he always looked at least as promising.

• Not so much ex-player but ex- youth coach Ian Culverhouse today named boss of Southern League Premier Kings Lynn Town.

• Didn't Culverhouse have an assistant manager role with the 1st team at some stage or am I imagining things?

• Nope your right @EwanHoosaami with Lambert , along with Gary Karsa followed to Col U, Norwich & Villa until Karsa & Cully were allegedly sacked through bullying charges.

• edited February 2017

Martin Kuhl that was.

• Agree @Chris , alledgedly Kuhl and Scott Donnelly came to blows on the way back from Hereford?

• Lee Angol joins Lincoln on loan until the end of the season from Posh while Matt Spring signs for Hitchin Town on dual registration from Hemel Hempstead.

• Angol scores on his Lincoln debut.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Angol scores on his Lincoln debut.

Hat-trick

• Hogan Ephraim has signed for Whitehawk FC for the rest of this season.

• Mawson scores again for the Swans.

• Junior Morias scores for Peterborough.

• Not again!

• @robin said:
    Junior Morias scores for Peterborough.

More than he ever did for us, even from the penalty spot against Beaconsfield!

• And another for Junior yesterday.

Never considered him a one that got away. That's why I'm not a football manager.

• Not suited to our hoof it style anyway.