Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Milton Keynes are a stain on English football, but it's monumentally stupid to criticize a player for going there.

• Unlikely unfortunately.

Hopefully it'll be a bit like Pierre's game at Barnet after the "incident" with half the crowd booing him and the other half singing his name twice as loud. Unusual but quite fun afternoon I recall.

• Has been called 'Judas' on FB, sadly.

Don't think I've heard that used since Mickey Bell.

• Dreading that game now, because of the possibility of the welcome being anything but respectful.

• Not quite sure what he is supposed to have done wrong to be honest.

Tested himself at a higher level and when it didn't work out took an option elsewhere to rebuild.

All after playing I think 250 games or so for us.

There really are some morons around.

• There really are. I’ll be devastated if he gets booed. But I’m pretty sure it will be like the situation @StrongestTeam describes (above) with any boo boys being drowned

• edited February 2023

…..out by hundreds who appreciate what he gave to this club for so long and being aware of the vile abuse he had to endure whilst at Aberdeen.

• Anyone who boos Stewart is an incontestable imbecile.

• edited February 2023

I saw a Ben Foster interview recently where he was asked how many players really actually care about the fans. He put it at about 25%, not because players don't want to care, but because (at the PL level) a lot come from other countries and are not going to instantly connect to what Norwich City means, for example. But another reason he gave is that fans are so fickle, you always know they can turn on you in an instant. He thinks the 25% is anyone who is a local lad or plays for a club long enough to care about what it means to the fans.

All that is just to say that Stewart is an illustration of the second reason. No footballer should ever receive abuse, but someone who did so much for the club, including MOTM in the actual game that got us promoted, should be carried back into the stadium on shoulders as far as I am concerned. He is an absolute 24 carat legend and deserves nothing but thanks and cheers.

We all hate MK, but it's the other side of the fence from someone needing to be employed by them.

• I assume that Anthony Stewart got a significant pay rise when he joined Aberdeen. He will still be on that money at Franchise. Hats off to him. Fleece them for as much as possible.

No boos from me when he returns. People need to remember he played what is probably the best individual performance in a Wycombe shirt at Wembley when we won the play off final.

• “Do Do DoDoow Antny Stewart” and repeat.

I’d be happy to chant that again.

Always ‘one of our own’ in my book.

• A little surprising Oxford did not buy him, just to avoid facing him again!

• edited February 2023

It's always interesting seeing what moves get a player labelled as "Judas".

Mickey Bell seemed the huge one to me, but perhaps I was too young to understand how significant money is in the short career, and all I saw was the big talk about "ambition" and then moving to a club who were in the same tier. And in fact he only spent 1 of his however many years there in that higher division.

Bloomfield moved to arguably one of our biggest historical rivals, but in a different role entirely, so maybe that and the easing of the rivalry minimised that one.

Stewart did have that 6 month limbo period and walk out on us, that can't be airbrushed, but it was at a time where he'd seen literally all his peers move to better things, so probably owed it to himself to see if there was better out there.

Obviously he put in around 9 seasons or so of sterling service all in which few have bettered in our league days too.

Maybe some don't consider Aberdeen a step up? But surely anyone can see he was in a right old mess up there, so needed an out? I can't imagine many players give two seconds of thought to how MK came to be formed 15-20 years ago?

• Tools. Luke 15 verse 20

”…..his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him, he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.”

I believe Tools is a regular church goer.

• @Malone alone - yes, it is insane that anyone would ever be labelled a traitor when moving jobs unless something seriously sinister happened, or they threw a huge unprofessional strop to get their way.

The following point has been made many times by many people, but how many of us would avoid going to a better paying job if the opportunity was right? My last company had an awful culture (MK Dons) but it paid much better than the much more endearing company I worked for before, who were at a bit of a dead end.

• Exactly that. And most likely, the likes of us on this thread have a lot more choice than lower league footballer do too.

• The Judas thing is pretty much ALWAYS out of place. Even with Micky Bell a sideways move as we saw it was probably a good financial move for him so he hardly betrayed up. He may have misled people in the how but he always gave his all.

If Colchester play us in the near future I will stand on my feet and applaud Matt Bloomfield as he treads the turf. He is manager of our deadly rivals so sure we should be against him but no way, not that guy.

• I’m sure there was an ex-Norwich player who ended up becoming a priest. Good job he left for God and not Ipswich.

• Ex Orient and Middlesbrough winger Alan Comfort became a priest.

• edited February 2023

People don't seem to have a problem with David Wheeler being a former MK player. As you say, most players probably don't give it a second thought, they can't afford to be that precious about who they play for at our kind of level. If Stewart had gone directly from Wycombe to MK, then I might understand some of the anger - but he hasn't.

Besides, I didn't think there was any rivalry anyway...?

• Didn't Gavin Peacock become a priest too?

• edited February 2023

• edited February 2023

Spot on. The following can both be true:

1. MK should not exist as a club.
    2. It is good that Anthony Stewart has employment and can provide for his family.

It can be fun that football is so tribal, but it becomes (potentially) obnoxious at times like this. I imagine a player like Tools coming back to AP as an opposing player, remembering how much he gave to the club professionally and personally, and hoping that he gets received well on that human level at a place he was so well loved. The idea that there could be a single boo because of tribalism and hatred of his current club is a little sickening.

• Alex Samuel: future priest. Calling it now.

• If Anthony Stewart became ordained, would the numpties on facebook refer to him as Judas Priest or would that be breaking the law.......

• Sounds odd.

Must admit, without the name above, I wouldn't recognise him at all.

Only played 31 games for us in fairness, and almost a decade on I suppose.