Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• That’s terrific. Charles and Anthony Stewart were regular visitors to ASDA (my favourite supermarket) about ten years ago - a short hop from the training ground - and were always up for a quick chat. Lovely guys.

• Scotty Kashket was an unused sub as Crewe became the first EFL side to be relegated this season.

• Darius Charles has announced his retirement from playing the game.

What a man, what a player

• And a man who still has so much more to give to the game. I can do nothing but wish him all the luck in the world in his forthcoming ventures.

• @Gary said:
    Scotty Kashket was an unused sub as Crewe became the first EFL side to be relegated this season.

Good to hear he's back after a long injury.
    Hope he gets another deal there, as he'd be a real menace in league 2.

• Josh Parker came on as a 63rd minute substitute for Risborough Rangers last night ! Now that's a fall from grace, League one to whatever they are

• Aaron Amadi-Holloway scored Barrow’s fourth against FGR. Didn’t know he had signed for them.

• Great goal for Paul Smyth today as Orient confirm Scunthorpe’s relegation.

• Kashket was subbed before half time for Crewe today, I hope it’s not another injury.

• Just bumped into Mo Harkin in Sainsbury’s. He came over to me after seeing the famous quarters and said there can’t be many Wycombe fans in this area (was in Hanworth) - he has fond memories of his time at Wycombe, he’s back playing at AP in the upcoming charity match and he wishes us well in our quest for promotion. Nice fella.

• @Gary said:
    Just bumped into Mo Harkin in Sainsbury’s. He came over to me after seeing the famous quarters and said there can’t be many Wycombe fans in this area (was in Hanworth) - he has fond memories of his time at Wycombe, he’s back playing at AP in the upcoming charity match and he wishes us well in our quest for promotion. Nice fella.

Awesome, I had massive hopes for Mo

• @Gary said:
    Just bumped into Mo Harkin in Sainsbury’s. He came over to me after seeing the famous quarters and said there can’t be many Wycombe fans in this area (was in Hanworth) - he has fond memories of his time at Wycombe, he’s back playing at AP in the upcoming charity match and he wishes us well in our quest for promotion. Nice fella.

Brings back memories for sure, as he was only slightly older than me. And it felt unreal to have a kid of his age in the team.

• Million Pound Mo.

It never did quite work out sadly.

• One particularly self indulgent performance against Basingstoke seems to stand out.

• I remember Steve Brown saying he was over-fond of the old falling down water but sounds like that may well be in the past now. Very sad, he had so much promise.

• edited April 2022

@CarParkPete said:
    I remember Steve Brown saying he was over-fond of the old falling down water but sounds like that may well be in the past now. Very sad, he had so much promise.

Struggling to work this out.

Falling down water?

Very much in the past now? Do you mean Harkin? He'd be around 40, so of course :D

Or are you on about Kashket from about 6 posts above?!

• I think he'd be more than that. Guessing he was about the same age, if not slightly older than Dannie Bulman.

• edited April 2022

He's 42, but still struggling to understand the meaning of your previous post?

Did "falling down water" autocorrect the last word from "trick" or something?

And talking about a 42 year old saying something is in the past seems a bit of a given!

• Struggling to work out what you don't understand. The last ex-player we were talking about was Mo Harkin. About 12 years ago the club hosted 'An Evening With Steve Brown'. Which is where I got the info from. Where I come from 'falling down water' means booze, drink, alcohol, call it what you will. He had quite a long career in non-league which would hopefully indicate that he got his act together. Does that make sense?

• You wonder how different Mo’s career would have been if he’d play for GA. See also, Matt Brady, Andy Reilly, Stu Roberts.

• @CarParkPete said:
    Struggling to work out what you don't understand. The last ex-player we were talking about was Mo Harkin. About 12 years ago the club hosted 'An Evening With Steve Brown'. Which is where I got the info from. Where I come from 'falling down water' means booze, drink, alcohol, call it what you will. He had quite a long career in non-league which would hopefully indicate that he got his act together. Does that make sense?

Thanks for explaining.
    Makes a lot more sense with the definition of that phrase!!

I'd read the "falling down water" as being some sort of going down too easily / diving reference!

• @floyd said:
    You wonder how different Mo’s career would have been if he’d play for GA. See also, Matt Brady, Andy Reilly, Stu Roberts.

Andy Reilly didn't fail as such though did he? He specifically chose to go and do some coveted high level uni course?

Townsend is probably a better sub in there.
    Started an FA cup semi final, certainly didn't look out of place in our team, and then totally dropped off the radar.

• True about Reilly, but you never know.

• It strikes me tha Sanchez was not very good with young players. I remember Stuart Roberts being particularly scathing. A lot of promising youngsters e.g. Ben Townsend, Johnny Dixon etc. failed to make the grade under Sanchez and 100% they would all, without doubt, have done better under Ainsworth. Think Andy Reilly dropped out under Adams though didn't he?

• Sanchez had arguably the worst contacts list in Wycombe history, potentially battling Waddock (have you played for Aldershot?).
    His reach seemed to be limited to links to Brentford, Barnet or Wimbledon.

Once some of the proper players we had like Bates and Devine were finished he couldn't rebuild well enough.

• He signed both Bates and Devine didn't he?

• @Malone said:
    Sanchez had arguably the worst contacts list in Wycombe history, potentially battling Waddock (have you played for Aldershot?).
    His reach seemed to be limited to links to Brentford, Barnet or Wimbledon.

Once some of the proper players we had like Bates and Devine were finished he couldn't rebuild well enough.

Most of the best signings that Sanchez made seemed to have been mates of either Terry Gibson or Terry Evans.

• Who replaced Matt Lawrence at RB under Sanchez?

• Ben Townsend, then Danny Senda

• @Malone said:

@floyd said:
    You wonder how different Mo’s career would have been if he’d play for GA. See also, Matt Brady, Andy Reilly, Stu Roberts.

Andy Reilly didn't fail as such though did he? He specifically chose to go and do some coveted high level uni course?

Townsend is probably a better sub in there.
    Started an FA cup semi final, certainly didn't look out of place in our team, and then totally dropped off the radar.

Seem to recall Townsend had injury problems preventing him from staying in the full time game but was a long time ago and not certain to be honest!