Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• He needs a big man alongside him. He was only really effective for us playing with Bayo.

• Kashket was only really effective for us for a 10-15 game period about 5 years ago when playing alongside Bayo when every thing he touched seemed to go in.
    He then got injured and never hit those heights again.
    He’s a league 2 player at best IMO which of course there’s nothing wrong with but we are thankfully way above that level of player now.

• Would love him to really smash it, but I suppose his hot bed of goalscoring for us over 3months was in league 2.

• @Cecil said:
    Kashket was only really effective for us for a 10-15 game period about 5 years ago when playing alongside Bayo when every thing he touched seemed to go in.
    He’s a league 2 player at best IMO which of course there’s nothing wrong with but we are thankfully way above that level of player now.

What a rude and dismissive post about a player who signing was very much under the radar and ended up for a decent period our top scorer in the Championship. Not bad for a League Two 'at best' player. We have upgraded for certain and I hope his move away hasn't led to his injury getting worse.

• Yes, I thought Scotty would shine in the Championship. Didn't work out for whatever reason but I wish him all the best.

• edited January 2022

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Cecil said:
    Kashket was only really effective for us for a 10-15 game period about 5 years ago when playing alongside Bayo when every thing he touched seemed to go in.

What a rude and dismissive post about a player who signing was very much under the radar and ended up for a decent period our top scorer in the Championship. Not bad for a League Two 'at best' player. We have upgraded for certain and I hope his move away hasn't led to his injury getting worse.

Not sure why this has got -2? I expect the chap he disagreed with applied one, but it seems spot on to me.

Yes Kashket's hot bed of form and goals was that 3month period in league 2, but he's definitely had strong periods after that, as recently as last year for those hard of memory.

He's one of a few over the last 5 or 6 years who have been hurt by our oft used single physical striker, with 2 wider players.
    I thought CMS was one that particularly was harsh on, he did well for us out wide, but from a small handful of games through the middle at one time we thought we'd found the post Bayo solution.

Roll on being rested for one game and Samuel in, then he never got back in.
    Football is cruel and it moves on quickly. Kashket just got caught up in that, as well as the diversions with the condition that had to be managed, and the personal problems and there's no reason he can't score plenty in league 1 in the right system.

• I think Kashket was one of the few players who didn’t benefit from being Wycombe-ised.

He was a natural poacher and seemed to be trying too hard on occasion when tracking back or closing people down. I think if we’d have let him stick to being a ‘fox in the box’ type striker he could have had more starts and goals.

• John Akinde has signed for Col U.

Disappointing

• I was really disappointed when Scotty left. A lovely guy. A torrid back story. A great talent. With a bit more luck with injuries I’m sure we would have seen him cement a partnership with Bayo and he would have been the famed 20 goal striker.
    Wish him nothing but good things.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I was really disappointed when Scotty left. A lovely guy. A torrid back story. A great talent. With a bit more luck with injuries I’m sure we would have seen him cement a partnership with Bayo and he would have been the famed 20 goal striker.
    Wish him nothing but good things.

Absolutely. Will always remember his hot streak soon after he joined us, looked as if nothing could stop him, but injury unfortunately did for a good while. Our first goalscorer in the Championship, and scored a few more afterwards, but things changed for the worse for him very quickly at Wycombe. Was a lovely gesture from the club after he left us, to present him with the shirt at the Crewe game, and a glowing tribute from Gareth as well. Will always be one of my favourite players.

• AAH reportedly all but done. I always thought Morris would have a decent League One career (might still).

• Sounds like he’s going to Scunthorpe.

• Matty Cash linked with Atletico Madrid - could see us pick up a c.£100k solidarity contribution under FIFA transfer regs.

• @Azzurro said:
    Matty Cash linked with Atletico Madrid - could see us pick up a c.£100k solidarity contribution under FIFA transfer regs.

Interesting, what are the regs on that? Would we count as a 'producer' club or something?

• Yeah, essentially clubs where a player was registered between the seasons of their 12th - 23rd birthdays split (unequally) 5% of the transfer fee. If we had Cash for a couple of seasons when he was a youngster we’d be looking at maybe 0.5%. Not a huge amount but nice to think that it’d pay for a couple of development squad players!

• Ryan Allsop went up for a corner deep into injury time (from which Derby equalised)

Don't remember him ever doing that for us, can anyone else?

• Didn't he come up for one (and nearly score) at Coventry a few years ago?

• Ah yes, of course he did

Cheers!

• Missed this one.

Went off injured in their last game though.

• Jamie Mascoll scored for Wealdstone in their defeat at Grimsby yesterday.

• I'm sure there were lots of other more positive words they could have used rather than veteran!

• Jamal Blackman has signed for Huddersfield.

• Rumours of Luke Bolton leaving Man City permanently for a L2 team. One that has never seemed to have reached his potential.

• @FmG said:
    Rumours of Luke Bolton leaving Man City permanently for a L2 team. One that has never seemed to have reached his potential.

Salford apparently.

• edited January 2022

I did think it was very odd how he went out on loan to Eastbourne, barely played and that seemed to be that

• He arrived with a big reputation too. They certainly seem very excited.

• When did he leave ?