Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• @HolmerBlue said:
    When did he leave ?

Shhhh. We don’t give information away

• Uche to Cardiff on loan

• When we signed Smyth he was another one that I thought BAM HERE WE GO. Injury almost straight away, barely featured. Real shame.

• Shame for him. Hope he gets back as soon as possible.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Shame for him. Hope he gets back as soon as possible.

There was always a fragility about him

• Rumour was he got injured by an Ainsworth tackle in training - but I heard he did it kicking a post in frustration. One of the many great Wycombe mysteries...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Rumour was he got injured by an Ainsworth tackle in training - but I heard he did it kicking a post in frustration. One of the many great Wycombe mysteries...

Wasn't there a long-running thread in the early GA period asking why our players got so many soft-tissue injuries?

'What are they doing in training...?'

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Rumour was he got injured by an Ainsworth tackle in training - but I heard he did it kicking a post in frustration. One of the many great Wycombe mysteries...

To be filed with the Devine summer knee injury, and Morias getting bombed out literally days after signing a 1 year deal.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

To be filed with the Devine summer knee injury, and Morias getting bombed out literally days after signing a 1 year deal.

And was it Matt Spring who hardly played in the 'Torquay season' when we only had two children and a small cat available on the bench?

• edited February 2022

@Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

And was it Matt Spring who hardly played in the 'Torquay season' when we only had two children and a small cat available on the bench?

Be careful with mentioning him... I remember when it was suggested that his attitude might not be "quite right", there was a bit of blow back on here.

• There were some outrageous stories circulating about Devine at the time.

• @floyd said:
    There were some outrageous stories circulating about Devine at the time.

I think the Morias one was even worse!

• @Malone said:

Be careful with mentioning him... I remember when it was suggested that his attitude might not be "quite right", there was a bit of blow back on here.

Spring was a class player whose laconic style was diametrically opposite to what Gaz wanted at the time, not sure I ever saw him make a tackle?
    He scored one of the best goals I have ever seen in a Wycombe shirt - admittedly against Slough in the B&B at Beaconsfield (just inside the centre circle a chest control and a swerving volley into the top corner).
    His appearances were brought to an early termination because of an impending a contract extension clause that the club could no longer afford (compounded by his resistance to playing the way Gaz wanted).
    He actually made more Premier League appearances than Gaz, which he was minded to mention now and again.
    Funniest moment away at The Gas, no room on the tiny bench, knew he wouldn’t be called upon so went and got a plastic chair from the stewards and sat just in front of the away fans and had a chat.
    I liked him.

• edited February 2022

@perfidious_albion said:

@Malone said:

Spring was a class player whose laconic style was diametrically opposite to what Gaz wanted at the time, not sure I ever saw him make a tackle?
    He scored one of the best goals I have ever seen in a Wycombe shirt - admittedly against Slough in the B&B at Beaconsfield (just inside the centre circle a chest control and a swerving volley into the top corner).
    His appearances were brought to an early termination because of an impending a contract extension clause that the club could no longer afford (compounded by his resistance to playing the way Gaz wanted).
    He actually made more Premier League appearances than Gaz, which he was minded to mention now and again.
    Funniest moment away at The Gas, no room on the tiny bench, knew he wouldn’t be called upon so went and got a plastic chair from the stewards and sat just in front of the away fans and had a chat.
    I liked him.

Wiki has premier league appearances as

Spring 6 (4 as sub) (06/07)
    Ainsworth 10 (98/99 & 99/2000)

Is that wrong then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Spring
    https://www.premierleague.com/players/2263/Matthew-Spring/overview

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Ainsworth

• @Malone said:

@perfidious_albion said:

@Malone said:

Wiki has premier league appearances as

Spring 6 (4 as sub) (06/07)
    Ainsworth 10 (98/99 & 99/2000)

Is that wrong then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Spring
    https://www.premierleague.com/players/2263/Matthew-Spring/overview

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Ainsworth

It could have been “more appearances for a Premier League club” without caring to mention not all the games played were at that level? He was a wind up merchant and beautiful footballer

• AAH scores for Barrow.

• At what point does Ali Al-Hamadi supersede Aaron Amadi-Holloway as AAH?

• Despite hardly playing and never scoring in his 18 months , Alex Jakubiak has been given a new contract at Dundee and then loaned to Patrick.
    Alex has missed most of the season after being injured in a nightclub brawl pre season. Oddly he didn’t duck this time…..

• Let’s hope Patrick takes care of him and returns him in good shape.

• @DevC said:
    Despite hardly playing and never scoring in his 18 months , Alex Jakubiak has been given a new contract at Dundee and then loaned to Patrick.
    Alex has missed most of the season after being injured in a nightclub brawl pre season. Oddly he didn’t duck this time…..

Isn't it funny how that duck has defined his time with us and to this day largely infuriates every single fan that saw it.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@DevC said:
    Despite hardly playing and never scoring in his 18 months , Alex Jakubiak has been given a new contract at Dundee and then loaned to Patrick.

Isn't it funny how that duck has defined his time with us and to this day largely infuriates every single fan that saw it.

I seemed to be the only person at the time who thought there was a whistle before it to explain it, and it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Could easily be wrong and sure he doesn't care about us but funny how a simple mistake could leave a whole load of people in a random town thinking you are lazy or rubbish, must be loads of similar stories. Probably helps if you're looking to pick up written off players on the cheap.

• Yes certainly funny that after drink driving, assaults and other appalling behaviours fans will often say players deserve another chance...but duck a header in the area in one game? Never forget, never forgive!?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    At what point does Ali Al-Hamadi supersede Aaron Amadi-Holloway as AAH?

Probably has to even half look like getting near the pitch first :)

• Appropriately for this discussion, AAH is also the sound Alex Jakubiak makes when the ball comes towards him at head height.

• edited February 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:
    At what point does Ali Al-Hamadi supersede Aaron Amadi-Holloway as AAH?

When he smiles after scoring a goal!

• Uche comes on as sub for Cardiff against Barnsley and scores. Promptly gets booked.

• Good for Uche!