Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• @Malone said:
    In fairness to Taylor, after Hayes' shenanighans that summer, we were literally scraping around in the "dross that's left" barrel.

Green, Westlake, Oliver and Duberry.

Worst summer window of all time?

Wasn't Green married to Taylor's daughter , or is that yet another nightmare?

• @perfidious_albion Indeed he was. I also seem to remember that was at least the 2nd time Taylor had signed him?

• Worse than that - he signed him three times!

• A definite case of "keeping it in the family ". Wonder if Stewie will appear on Gillinghams' payroll again in the near future?

• edited June 2017

Duberry was the biggest disappointment in that list, which is saying something with how the others turned out!

Despite us ignoring that no one had signed him by then being some sort of clue, we bought the grand standing "we're not here to make up the numbers" guff.

He looked so absolutely shot away, Oliver actually looked better than him.
    There were some sort of what I can only imagine were club leaks distributed amongst some of the fans that Duberry was "really good" behind the scenes.
    Now I think of that, it's worrying that seems to be what we hear about Hayes now!

Was that also the season we had Westwood? I still have visions of him being annihilated for pace by many a player, and one of the goals away at Norwich them basically just wandering past our defence for Grant Goon to tap in.

Horrible season

• Hause and Mawson have been named in Aidy Boothroyd's squad for this summer's European U21 Championship in Poland.

• Mawson is 23. How that work then?

• I think there's a quota of over age players allowed.

• 'Players aged under 21 at the start of the calendar year in which a two-year European Under-21 Football Championship campaign begins, so some players can remain with the squad until the age of 23.'

Lifted from the definitive Wikipedia

• Sergio Torres joins Eastbourne Borough from Whitehawk.

• Good ol' Sergio!! Not by a long stretch the most talented footballer we have ever had on the books.... but by god did he get the crown behind him! Always excited when he was on the pitch! Would one of his mazey darting runs end in a goal? Or with the opposition with the ball and legging down the opposite end of the pitch?! Seeerrrrrggggiiioooo serrrrrgiiiooo!!! Good times!!!

• edited June 2017

I don't remember that Alexo, but I suppose with Windsor down the road, it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. To be honest though, I always had big Phil down as more of a Panathinaikos man...........

• Tut.... crowd.....

• Jason Mccarthy looks set to complete move to Barnsley fee belived to be around the 200/250k mark.

• Thats a really good deal for Barnsley. McCarthy, whilst not quite the equal of Mawson, certainly is a real quality player.

• If I had the cash I'd invest in Jason McCarthy. Great player with great attitude. Just needs the break so few young English players seem to get.

• JP Pittman (remember him - only 30 apparently) - just signed for Torquay.

• Former GK loanee Marek Stech has joined Luton from Sparta Prague

• Stech is a really good signing for Luton, and one I can't believe came cheap.

• Came fairly cheap presumably. His contract had expired.

• @DevC but I'm assuming he wants paying and signing on fee of course.

• Andy. Do you think a third choice GK for a Czech team that has hardly played for two years and is now moving to a forth division team is going to attract a massive signing on fee? Not sure I see it myself.

Luton should do well this season though.

• Perhaps he'll go forth and multiply.

• @DevC - I think you are grossly underestimating the ability of Stech. He is only 27 which is still fairly young for a keeper and did gain a full cap for Czechoslovakia in 2014. I accept he has only played 19 games for Sparta Prague in three years but remember they are one of the top 3 or 4 sides in Czechoslovakia who regularly appear in the Champions League. Blackman is probably 5th or 6th in the pecking order at Chelsea.

I would have certainly been delighted if he had signed for us, but we don't have money to burn like Luton do.

• Stech never played for Czechoslovakia.

He has potential to be a good keeper for Luton. Who knows. I doubt however he is on the mega bucks Andy is suggesting.

• edited June 2017

Whilst I know you never accept you are wrong Dev, this Sky report appears to indicate that Stech did play against Austria on 21st May 2014. Sky could have got it wrong though or there could be two Marech Stechs!! I am sure you will clarify the situation

http://www.skysports.com/football/czech-rep-vs-austria/309858

• edited June 2017

Always happy to admit when I am wrong Mooneyman.

But on this occasion I am not wrong of course.

Czechoslovakia ceased to exist when he was two years old. He played for Czech republic.

Better luck next time!

• Congratulations Dev on being the champion Gasroom pedant!

• High honour indeed. Micra will be gutted.