Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Looks like we'll be facing Gozie Ugwu next season - he's just joined Chesterfield.

• I reckon Steve Wonder would have made a better attempt to stick that chance away at Loftus Rd

One of the worst misses I have ever seen (although Paul Reed putting the ball out of the ground from inside the yard box will always be number 1. Simon Stapleton at home to Rochdale in our first league season probably number 2)

• What about Mark Stallard's miss away at Blackpool (97?) - vague memory of him hitting the post then failing to tap in the rebound as it rolled along the line.

• There are a few contenders from Stallard

Keith Scott at home to Watford one Boxing Day also rings a bell for some reason

• On the subject of misses, Neil Davis at Millmoor always sticks in the mind during his barron loan spell from Villa.

• edited May 2017

@MindlessDrugHoover ,that Stallard sequence was incredible viewing.

A case of, literally how long do you want to put the ball away. Amazingly, we ended up scoring, I can't remember if it was him at the 15th time of asking, or someone else.

My memory of him was of a small stocky but deceptively strong player who could seemingly hold anyone off.
    Checking wiki now though, he's listed as 6ft!

Either I'm only remembering him as small as a comparison versus Scott, or whether he slouched I don't know. Maybe memories aren't as sharp as they were!

• @Malone Stallard, from my memory, definitely had a "slouchy gait" about him.

• Miguel Desouza away at Peterborough springs to mind. But that Stapleton one was a miss that defied the laws of physics.

• Here you go @Malone - from the ever brilliant COTN. The ball did go in eventually - Steve McGavin.

BLACKPOOL 2 WYCOMBE 4
    Saturday 23rd August - Division Two
    Wycombe took all three points from the trip to Blackpool as the finishing that had deserted them at Wigan turned full circle with Mark Stallard picking up two goals - the first a real comedy of errors - and John Cornforth capping another good display in midfield with a delightful second-half chip. John Gregory chose to give Alan Beeton his full Wycombe debut while Dave Carroll was dropped and Steve Brown was forced out with a combination of sunstroke and bronchitis.
    In stark contrast to last week's heatwave conditions at Adams Park, Bloomfield Road was blessed with torrential rain for the majority of the ninety minutes. Those conditions didn't help the flow of the game with neither side able to take control. Blackpool took the lead after 23 minutes when a move down the left wing ended with a deep cross that Quinn headed home after Taylor hesitated. It looked ominous but Wycombe responded well and the equaliser came on 36 minutes when Stallard's initial shot hit the post before he contrived to miss an open goal from the rebound - luckily McGavin was on hand to spare the blushes and square the ball back to give Stallard another go. 2 minutes later Wycombe were ahead when Jason Kavanagh saw a shot from the right hand edge of the box take a wicked deflection and end in the net.
    Half-time Blackpool 1 Wycombe 2
    Wycombe went further ahead 5 minutes after the break when Stallard raced through from the half-way line before nipping the ball over Banks in the pool goal. As the Wycombe fans went into dreamland having waited until Christmas of last season to see an away win, the best was yet to come. On 62 minutes Keith Scott pulled the ball back from the left, Simpson set up Cornforth on the opposite edge of the box and the midfielder sent in a delightfully placed chip that nestled nicely in the Blackpool net via the underside of the bar. There was still time for Taylor to make a couple of good stops but the Blackpool finishing would be kindly be stated as being poor. Gary Brabin scored with a 30 yarder in injury time but by this time the locals had either gone home or were looking for better things at Man City in the week.
    Full-time Blackpool 2 Wycombe 4
    WYCOMBE TEAM: Taylor, Kavanagh, Beeton, Mohan, McCarthy, Forsyth, Cornforth, Scott (sub 78 Harkin), Stallard (sub 83 Read), McGavin (sub 77 Carroll), Simpson - Att:4,733

• Ah yes, can sort of visualise it now, chip/rounding the keeper, post, missing an open goal, McGavin with some great work to literally lay it 2cm off the line for a truly unmissable sitter

• I see Josh Scowen is off on a free transfer. Looks like he has stitched up Barnsley by refusing to sign a new contract. Consequently we won't get any sell on percentage either.

• @mooneyman bit unfair to say stitched up. He played for them, he got paid, he played well by all accounts he goes off to pastures new. Freedom of labour. We will benefit from similar players even if you lose one or two the same way.

• @mooneyman said:
    I see Josh Scowen is off on a free transfer. Looks like he has stitched up Barnsley by refusing to sign a new contract. Consequently we won't get any sell on percentage either.

Do we know there was a sell on clause? Does his age influence sell ons even if we did?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub - On reflection I accept I was being a bit unfair to Scowen but Barnsley a relatively small club paid us a reported £250k and end up with nothing. However life in football nowadays is generally unfair.

• Sorry, how did Barnsley end up with nothing? They got three seasons of football out of him, including a promotion and an EFL trophy.

• There was nothing to stop them trying to extend his contract midway through, or if he refused to sign, sell him.

It'll be interesting to see where he pops up next.

• @bill_stickers - The two and a half seasons of football they got from Scowen cost them wages. The capital cost of quarter of a million pounds has been lost in that period. Barnsley are bigger than us, but I'm not sure they can afford to buy too many players for this value then lose them for nothing after a couple of years.

However as @Malone says they should have tried to sell him earlier.

• When you buy a player for £250k, the fact you have to pay further wages is a given.

They knew when they bought him, gave him that length of contract, that he would be free to leave in the summer of 2017. I have no sympathy for them.

If he had played badly these three years, they would have been delighted to get rid of him at the end of his contract and wouldn't of felt like they owed him anything. Why should he feel different?

• Sorry , I'm gonna say "wouldn't have"!

• edited May 2017

The reach of the Gasroom is long...moaning about the way ex-players run their careers now. Josh Scowen what a bastard, playing out his contract. Poor old Barnsley. Whip round?

• Lewis Montrose has signed for AFC Fylde

• Scott Davies has moved to Chelmsford City from Oxford City.

• The well travelled Jason Banton has been released by Crawley!

• Banton will be snapped up in no time. His new manager will say that everyone knows his ability but he needs to settle down and he believes that will be where we will see the best of him. Then in a couple months time he will be out on loan before before transfered again. Copy an paste in January / August.

• Former Loanee Lionel Ainsworth moves from Motherwell to Plymouth while Stuart Green leaves Evo-Stik Southern League South & West side Winchester City.

• @Kimble_Blue said:
    Former Loanee Lionel Ainsworth moves from Motherwell to Plymouth while Stuart Green leaves Evo-Stik Southern League South & West side Winchester City.

Good grief Stuart Green, wonder if he is still hiding behind full backs?

• That can't possibly be the same Stewie Green. He was struggling 10 years ago for Workington.
    He would certainly feature in a worst WWFC Xl.

• In fairness to Taylor, after Hayes' shenanighans that summer, we were literally scraping around in the "dross that's left" barrel.

Green, Westlake, Oliver and Duberry.

Worst summer window of all time?

• I was quite excited when we signed Westlake and Duberry. I'd seen Westlake and thought he was quite tidy, and Duberry had been playing in the premier not too long before. Unfortunately Westlake was injury prone and knackered and Duberry seemed to not give a toss.

• Didn't Green play in the Premier League? Or was that a nightmare I am reliving?