Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Haven’t we already got Taf and JJ to play left sided CB?

• I'd love Aaron Pierre to return. One of my favourite ever Wycombe players. My hopes have been raised by this thread

• Add me in as another who'd like Pierre to return, add him to the set of defender's we already have and we'd be extremely well off defensively I'd say

• edited May 2021

Pierre, Stewart and Tara would be one ludicrously strong back three combo. And the set pieces would be very dangerous.

• This isn't a transfer suggestion, but Paul Smyth released by QPR.

• @Malone said:
    Pierre, Stewart and Tara would be one ludicrously strong back three combo. And the set pieces would be very dangerous.

I prefer the set-up with FBs on either side, can't exactly say it's not been effective! But it would give us options - I expect there will be games where the oppo try to isolate JJ against an aerially dominant striker.

• I've always thought JJ is pretty decent in the air. Reckon he could play centre half in a back four if needed

• Quick runners in behind probably more of a threat in fairness. I think I'm unfairly assuming there will be more aerial bombardment in League One.

Aerial win rates for our main defenders this season, fwiw:.

Taf 68%
    McCarthy 57%
    Grimmer 55%
    Stewart 55%
    JJ 52%
    Knight 50%

Only thing with that is it doesn't tell you where on the pitch they were winning headers, but it's a guide.

• Knight’s being the lowest surprises me. Could this be because (unless Tafazoli was playing) he would be marking the tallest attacker?

• @Chris said:
    Knight’s being the lowest surprises me. Could this be because (unless Tafazoli was playing) he would be marking the tallest attacker?

I remember looking at this when he signed and he put up similar numbers for Peterborough, so I don't think it's abnormal for him. Plus games like Millwall at home, where we got rather battered by Matt Smith, might have driven it down a bit. I think Taf is just extraordinarily high rather than anyone else being oddly low.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Chris said:
    Knight’s being the lowest surprises me. Could this be because (unless Tafazoli was playing) he would be marking the tallest attacker?

I remember looking at this when he signed and he put up similar numbers for Peterborough, so I don't think it's abnormal for him. Plus games like Millwall at home, where we got rather battered by Matt Smith, might have driven it down a bit. I think Taf is just extraordinarily high rather than anyone else being oddly low.

Is 68% one of the highest figures then? Perception as a non stats studies would be that a huge amount og high balls are massively in the favour of the defender coming onto the ball, versus an attacker having to back into it on the move.
    Tafa being very tall on top of that would make me think 80% or more would be his minimum.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Chris said:

Is 68% one of the highest figures then? Perception as a non stats studies would be that a huge amount og high balls are massively in the favour of the defender coming onto the ball, versus an attacker having to back into it on the move.
    Tafa being very tall on top of that would make me think 80% or more would be his minimum.

Yeah, I think you're right with that. I would imagine it's one of the highest - I think he was in the top 10 Championship defenders for aerial wins in 2019/20, although that was quite a small sample size.

• edited May 2021

20th in the Championship this season out of defenders to play the equivalent of ten full 90s or more, but there are about ten players within a couple of % of each other.

• @micra The word you are looking for is initialism.

• I’m not sure Pierre is the answer. He’s done fine where he’s gone after us but we have 2 really strong options already and two rated players in the B team set up.
    Scowen was great for us but again it’s a position where we have a lot of talent already with Curtis, Dom, Mehmeti in the centre and Horgan/McCleary also able to play there. I would prefer to sign Adeniran personally.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I’m not sure Pierre is the answer. He’s done fine where he’s gone after us but we have 2 really strong options already and two rated players in the B team set up.
    Scowen was great for us but again it’s a position where we have a lot of talent already with Curtis, Dom, Mehmeti in the centre and Horgan/McCleary also able to play there. I would prefer to sign Adeniran personally.

Who are the CB options in the development set-up? Bearing in mind Gareth has said he sees Burley as a DM instead.

• Oh, I forgot Forino-Joseph!

• Kadeem Harris has been released by Sheffield Wednesday...

• edited May 2021

@thedieharder said:
    Kadeem Harris has been released by Sheffield Wednesday...

Another one who can play as a winger or wing-back. I imagine he'll get another Championship club, though.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Oh, I forgot Forino-Joseph!

Who plays, yes you’ve guessed it, on the left side of a back three or a back four and, from memory, is a similar height to Tafazolli. But one for the future, I think.

• @micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Who plays, yes you’ve guessed it, on the left side of a back three or a back four and, from memory, is a similar height to Tafazolli. But one for the future, I think.

He needs fast-tracking - we didn't have a single double-barrelled name in the side this season, which just felt wrong!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

We have to hope that JJ, Tafazoli and Stewart remain more or less injury free. Therefore if we get minor layoffs it will give Forino-Joseph a chance. I don’t think we can have senior cover across every position and that’s why we have to hope the B’s when given a chance take it. Like Anis did

• Lewwis Spence captaining Hornchurch in the Trophy final today - just been subbed off.

• edited May 2021

Craig Eastmond starts for Sutton against Hartlepool. Win and they're up - but even a draw will probably be enough.

• 2-0 Sutton with 15 minutes to go, looks like the EFL will have a new member for the third season running!

• Very happy for Eastmond, he's always had the quality to be a football league player.

• edited May 2021

Wait, are Sutton still semi-professional? And if so, who were the last semi-pro club to get promoted to the EFL?

• Sutton will lose c£200000 year annual revenue from tearing up their pitch. A lot of money to a lg2 club. This year they have earned five more points at home than away so no evidence that it is a massive advantage.

• Technically not an ex player, but it just wouldn’t be summer on here without a Tarpey mention...

• Purely being nosey I clicked on Tarpeys twitter, looked down it and noticed that both Marlow and Chalfont St Peter have a trip to Guernsey next season in the league !!