Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• I agree @ReturnToSenda. Danny himself played very much like a wingback with his forward foraging but, as with Jack Grimmer, I don’t recall too many killer crosses.

• @micra said:
    I agree @ReturnToSenda. Danny himself played very much like a wingback with his forward foraging but, as with Jack Grimmer, I don’t recall too many killer crosses.

Fred’s conversion from forward to wing back was very reminiscent of the Disco Kid’s move from forward to right back. Perhaps Sanchez’s greatest tactical move?

• Paris Cowan-Hall has been released by Colchester.

• Grimmer's crossing was one of the highlights of last season for me, plus he played RWB for coventry.

• @robin said:
    Paris Cowan-Hall has been released from his sentence at Colchester.

Fixed.

• Randell is a talent, sure we wanted to keep him and he was linked with some big moves last summer, the ability to play in a few positions doesn't harm anyone with so much talk of squad limits.

• edited May 2021

@drcongo said:
    Grimmer's crossing was one of the highlights of last season for me, plus he played RWB for coventry.

I'm struggling to remember him ever putting a good ball in with consistency. That said, I wish we were less cross-heavy as it's such an inefficient way of creating - and perhaps we will move away from that without an aerially dominant striker in the side and with a true 10 to play through.

• Paul Smyth about to be released by QPR - looks set to be heading to Accrington on a free.

• @Gary said:
    Paul Smyth about to be released by QPR - looks set to be heading to Accrington on a free.

Good move for him, seems to have played his best football for them. Keep that squad together and I think they'll be pushing for the play-offs next season if they avoid this season's injury problems - which the schedule no doubt worsened.

• SidoJombati sadly released by Oldham.

• Anthony Grant and Joel Grant both released by relegated Swindon
    Swindon Town release 13 players after relegation to League Two https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57115727

• @robin said:
    Paris Cowan-Hall has been released by Colchester.

• @Gary said:

@robin said:
    Paris Cowan-Hall has been released by Colchester.

Oof.

• Eze Man of the Match again this evening against Villa. Assist for Zaha’s goal and hit the bar himself with a fierce long range drive from outside the box. Great role model for someone like Anis Mehmeti. That’s the level of pace, power, skill on the ball and awareness that Anis needs to aspire to. He’s got a long way to go but who knows....

• @micra said:
    Eze Man of the Match again this evening against Villa. Assist for Zaha’s goal and hit the bar himself with a fierce long range drive from outside the box. Great role model for someone like Anis Mehmeti. That’s the level of pace, power, skill on the ball and awareness that Anis needs to aspire to. He’s got a long way to go but who knows....

If you was in Southgate’s shoes, would you be selecting Eze for the Euro’s? I genuinely think I would be and I would be surprised if he’s not playing for a top 6 side in the not too distant future.

• edited May 2021

He might have given himself an outside chance, especially with the slightly bigger squad size, but he's got Mount and Lingard ahead of him at the moment - plus Grealish can also play that role. By the time of the World Cup, though... I think he'll become the best player to ever have played for Wycombe, if he hasn't already.

• Love Eze but England have an overload of options down the left. To the point where Grealish might not even make the squad!

• He wouldn't play on the left. Grealish will get in, but Southgate seems to have a bizarre aversion to Sancho (who should make the squad but may not play).

• Trying to think of any other ex-Wycombe players who might go to the Euros? I think Phillips has been out of the Scotland picture for a while now.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    He wouldn't play on the left. Grealish will get in......

Have you watched Palace? Eze does his best work linking with Sahar - centre left.
    Grealish has played two cameos in three months before that Southgate was almost forced, against his playing style instincts, by Jack’s form to pick him a few times. He needs two full ninety minutes dominating play in Villa’s last two games to make the squad, even then 80% match fit he is unlikely to start any tournament games.

• I’m struggling to think of a better player in that position (left midfield) in a Wycombe shirt. Kevin Durham comes to mind, as he so often does. Very strong on the ball and creative but perhaps not as twinkle toed or fleet of foot. I know, I am comparing a non-League player with a potential full international but, in terms of value to their respective clubs and their popularity, I might get away with it!

After four seasons at Wycombe, Barnet manager Barry Fry “stole” “Durrers” for a derisory £15,000 in August 1990. Wycombe fans were furious. Having helped the Wanderers to gain promotion to the Conference (now National League) he played a major role in Barnet’s promotion to the Football League in 1991. Tragedy then struck. On holiday in Majorca with his family that summer, Kevin sadly suffered a fatal heart attack. He was just 29.

• edited May 2021

@perfidious_albion said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Have you watched Palace? Eze does his best work linking with Sahar - centre left.
    Grealish has played two cameos in three months before that Southgate was almost forced, against his playing style instincts, by Jack’s form to pick him a few times. He needs two full ninety minutes dominating play in Villa’s last two games to make the squad, even then 80% match fit he is unlikely to start any tournament games.

Yes he does link up well with Wilfred...Sahar...

• @micra said:
    I’m struggling to think of a better player in that position (left midfield) in a Wycombe shirt. Kevin Durham comes to mind, as he so often does. Very strong on the ball and creative but perhaps not as twinkle toed or fleet of foot. I know, I am comparing a non-League player with a potential full international but, in terms of value to their respective clubs and their popularity, I might get away with it!

After four seasons at Wycombe, Barnet manager Barry Fry “stole” “Durrers” for a derisory £15,000 in August 1990. Wycombe fans were furious. Having helped the Wanderers to gain promotion to the Conference (now National League) he played a major role in Barnet’s promotion to the Football League in 1991. Tragedy then struck. On holiday in Majorca with his family that summer, Kevin sadly suffered a fatal heart attack. He was just 29.

Probably one of the few regrets during Saint Martin's reign, was that he couldnt find room to accommodate Guppy,Carroll and Durham in the team.
    Durrers was such an intelligent exciting player, that made your hairs on the back of your neck stand up, when he picked up the ball.

• edited May 2021

@perfidious_albion said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

For Palace he either tucks in from the left in a lopsided 4-4-2 or plays as part of a midfield three, with Zaha either in a front two drifting left or wide of a front three. He wouldn't be able to play either of those roles for England because they don't exist in either of our main systems, nor would he get in on the left of a 4-2-3-1/3-4-3 as he'd have the likes of Grealish, Rashford, Sancho and Sterling ahead of him. He'd have Mount and Lingard and possibly others ahead of him if seen as a 10.

Even if not quite fit, Grealish has to go as he's a game-changer, although Southgate seems to have a hard time recognising pure talent when it's right under his nose - there shouldn't be any doubt over whether Jude Bellingham goes to the Euros, for example, but there is because of who the manager is.

• Of course, Eze could still decide to play for Nigeria and all this becomes irrelevant, but I hope he opts for England.

• When it comes to beaming celebratory smiles, no-one can compare with Eze. One of my favourite photos in the Wanderers photo gallery (reproduced on the cover of a matchday programme) was of him and other players celebrating one of his five goals whilst on loan here.

• 42 year old Dannie Bulman in contract negotiations with Crawley
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57160191

• I remember when Bulman left us, he said something about how he'd enjoyed his pro days, with the inference being that was it!

Now almost 20 years later he's still turning out. Superb.

• He made his professional debut the month before Google was founded, sensational stuff.