Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• @Malone said:
    I remember when Bulman left us, he said something about how he'd enjoyed his pro days, with the inference being that was it!

Now almost 20 years later he's still turning out. Superb.

What the hell was Adams doing? Probably shouldn't still be angry but....

• edited May 2021

@StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:
    I remember when Bulman left us, he said something about how he'd enjoyed his pro days, with the inference being that was it!

Now almost 20 years later he's still turning out. Superb.

What the hell was Adams doing? Probably shouldn't still be angry but....

His crime sheet is lengthy.

Suggesting Currie and Simpson had given up and binning them.
    Suggesting Johnson was either a left back or a striker - and then watching as he soared to the premier league.
    Writing off a season as early as October as a cert for relegation, and one game playing 4 teenagers in defence.
    Seemed more concerned with showing his "Pulling power" getting Steve Taylor and Luke Moore in for mere 1 month loans. Great guys and treasures to have on board, but one month startlets weren't going to keep us up.
    And of course just walking out and telling the press first.

Brought a few great players in, like Tyson and brought Bloomfield in too.

• I could be wrong but I don't recall too many people shedding too many tears when Bulman left.

He could have some very average games.

Was part of that cup run though, and scored a great penalty at Selhurst Park so his place in Wycombe folklore is guaranteed

• @eric_plant said:
    I could be wrong but I don't recall too many people shedding too many tears when Bulman left.

He could have some very average games.

Was part of that cup run though, and scored a great penalty at Selhurst Park so his place in Wycombe folklore is guaranteed

Simmo and Currie were the obvious ones but had been made out to be bad eggs needing clearing out, Bulman was a bit younger and had decent promise, main thing though was when it dawned on the Pillock in pre-season that he wouldn't be able to do any better

Interesting read re simmo

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/489705.wanderers-captain-axed-in-summer-clear-out/

• I couldn’t tell you for all the money in the world where Simmo and Currie ended up. I don’t ever remember playing against them. Did Simmo go to Leyton Orient?

Interesting note on Sam Stockley, we got him in the end.

• Off the top of my head I feel like Currie went to either Brighton or Ipswich?

• According to wiki Simmo did go to Leyton Orient and wound down his playing career with the delightfully named Graham Street Prims in the East Midlands Counties League.

• Currie went to Brighton, played there for six months before being transferred to Ipswich for £250,000

• @DevC said:
    Currie went to Brighton, played there for six months before being transferred to Ipswich for £250,000

Of course! How did I forget that unfortunate turn of events.

• com on @floyd ... Don't you remember playing the O's and Simmo putting in a Simmo-like challenge on one of our players and Che (it was back when Che was a thing) going off on one about how he'd lost all respect for him or something? He was certainly a "boo boys' target" that day.

@eric_plant I don't know about anybody else, but I was basically bereft to see both Bulman and Simpson go; Bulman's form had dipped a bit since the cup run, but we knew what he was capable of and he was still young. And Simmo's form never wavered (was he ever a "boo boys' target" when he was here?), he was always fit and only missed games through suspension a couple of times a season. The two of them could have been the foundation of our midfield for a fair while longer.

• Yeah, maybe I'm being harsh. I just don't remember him leaving being a massive bone of contention. Perhaps it was lost in all the brouhaha over star players Currie and Simpson being released.

I think you're right though. He could certainly have held his own in our midfield in most of the sides that followed.

Don't forget we'd also just signed Joe Burnell who looked a very classy operator. Had he not been injured all the time I think we could have built the midfield around him and Bloomfield for many years to follow. It wasn't to be though.

• edited May 2021

Eze could be out for eight months with a serious achilles injury. That's just absolutely brutal.

• That’s horrendous. Let’s hope it turns out to be less serious than that.

• @floyd said:
    According to wiki Simmo did go to Leyton Orient and wound down his playing career with the delightfully named Graham Street Prims in the East Midlands Counties League.

You pipped me to that one @floyd !
    I had to refresh my memory about Simmo’s career so also had a quick Wiki visit. Parallels with our current key midfield battler are interesting. I hope Thommo stays as long as Simmo did.

• edited May 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Eze could be out for eight months with a serious achilles injury. That's just absolutely brutal.

Disastrous one that one.
    Only tiny saving grace is he's so young and recoveries are so much better these days.

• edited May 2021

@our_frank Simmo had a spell where he was a boo boys favourite.
    I still recall a fanzine of the time referring to him as the "increasingly depressing Mickey Simpson".

He was on the transfer list too.
    However he turned it round absolutely superbly.

• @our_frank said:
    com on @floyd ... Don't you remember playing the O's and Simmo putting in a Simmo-like challenge on one of our players and Che (it was back when Che was a thing) going off on one about how he'd lost all respect for him or something? He was certainly a "boo boys' target" that day.

I must have been there, but I’ve got no memory of that at all.

• Hope he gets another league side but fear he may drop down to the non-leagues. He seemed to fall out of favour quite quickly at Bolton.

• @our_frank said:
    com on @floyd ... Don't you remember playing the O's and Simmo putting in a Simmo-like challenge on one of our players and Che (it was back when Che was a thing) going off on one about how he'd lost all respect for him or something? He was certainly a "boo boys' target" that day.

I think Simmo got a decent reception before the game though didn't he?
    A bit of booing in the game is what you'd expect, especially for a competitive challenge.

Clearly the rest of what you say is silly though.
    But dedicated fan that Che is/was, that and the banner gang and other negative moments probably aren't his best memories.

• Josh Scowen available on a free transfer

• I would love to have him back, although I guess it rather depends on if he wants to, and if we are going to sign Adeniran.

• Wouldn’t he be in direct competition with Curtis Thompson though? Scowen, I mean.

• Strange one given Josh played full 90 mins yesterday. Has to be budget related. He will have been on big money given his QPR / Barnsley Championship track record. Clearly happy to move around the country chasing the dollar. Don’t think we will see him at AP.

• NBTWWG in any case ? Is that the correct time honoured (non) acronym? [I got taken to task in the past for calling an unpronounceable set of caps an acronym. The biter bit kinda thing.]

• Looking forward to another summer of speculation about which former players we should get back.

Given Knight is highly unlikely, it would only be Muskwe and/or Adeniran for me.

And Simon Garner.

• Muskwe and I hope.

• edited May 2021

Agree that we should remember that we are allowed to sign non-former players, but... I'd consider a move for Aaron Pierre. I think he's capable of playing at a higher level - Bristol City were looking at him fairly recently - and he's that sought after kind of centre-back: a left-footer. Has played in a back three at Shrewsbury as well - would be good to have cover for JJ at LCB which wouldn't involve moving Tafazolli from CB, where I thought he was very impressive against Middlesbrough.

Not expecting that to happen, but it would add a level of excitement to post-match trips to Tesco Express.

• Pierre isn't out of contract is he? I'd love to see him back but I can't imagine we'd pay a fee for him.

• Would take muskwe back in an instant. He will terrify league 1 defenders

• @Chris said:
    Pierre isn't out of contract is he? I'd love to see him back but I can't imagine we'd pay a fee for him.

Yeah, that might be an obstacle. I mean, we should be able to pay a fee or too now, but I'm not sure we would for someone with no resale value.