Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• The statement from the administrators appear to solely blame us (and Middlesbrough). They adapted to the culture of ‘it’s not our fault it’s everyone else’ pretty quick.

Strange that the audio of Mel Morris fessing up is no longer on BBC Radio. I hope Rob downloaded the clip.

• edited January 2022

Apparently we're breaching their fans' human rights now? Tribalism is a bloody powerful thing.

• Breaching their Human Rights! Now that is funny. Season ticket holders are unsecured creditors just like any other unsecured creditor. I've lost all sympathy for Derby and their deluded fans.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Apparently we're breaching their fans' human rights now? Tribalism is a bloody powerful thing.

I think it's cc'ing in Nick De Marco that is the funniest bit, not a clue this lot. Will they counterclaim against HMRC too?

• It's a shitshow, they are deluded idiots. I want them relegated and to really struggle this season and next. BUT, if they end up having to liquidate and we played a small part in that, I'd be ashamed tbh

• Nah, they've only got themselves to blame

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Nah, they've only got themselves to blame

They have, but I still wouldn't like to see them go completely for it, wouldn't wish that on any team

• @HolmerBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

They have, but I still wouldn't like to see them go completely for it, wouldn't wish that on any team

Yeah, I don't think our claim will ever be paid but I think you leave it in just to ward off them being bought out by some rich chancer who scams everyone and then rather than paying debts choses to spend silly money on players and carries on if nothing happens, in that scenario we'd be right to ask for our damages.
    A small hopeful claim for us is nowt alongside the total debt, taxes and Boro's claim so It's not right to say we're blocking anything. I don't think there's anything to block at the moment.

• edited January 2022

@HolmerBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Neither, but we're not trying to make that happen and we shouldn't feel bad about what we're doing. Same goes for Middlesbrough.

• How dare teams our cheating has impacted wanting compensation!!

• @StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I think it's cc'ing in Nick De Marco that is the funniest bit, not a clue this lot. Will they counterclaim against HMRC too?

When will their fans show some form of contrition or recognise what they have been part of. How many of them when they heard the Mel Morris interview where he said he withheld the figures to stop them being relegated last season thought ‘well done Mel’. All of them?

• edited January 2022

You see references to having clubs on strings on twitter, lots of their fans knew they were scamming everyone and were loving it.
    Btw if I was Morris (an arse with no shame) I'd hang on to the ground for a few years, wait until other people sort his mess out at the club and then hope to sell it to the new owner at full price in 5/10 years. The idea that he's gone and the club are now being punished unfairly is false.
    The most recent transfer ban is entirely just on the basis that if you're struggling to pay your outgoings you shouldn't be increasing them.

• I wonder what effect Morris blatantly admitting on radio to delaying the process had on Rob it’s one thing getting screwed over it’s another having the perpetrator yukking it up afterwards.
    I have the same amount of sympathy for the Derby fans as they had for us when we were relegated

• It's incredible how badly run some of these championship clubs are.

My reading season ticket holder pal told me they're not actually allowed to renew contracts as part of the mess they got into.

If they did go down, they'll have a difficult league 1 season too.

• It’s a weird argument, the fans are a third party to this and yet they talk as if they are directly involved. Do you get this sort of argument in divorce proceedings? If my mate has to pay support for the kids and remortgage the house, they won’t be able to come out on a friday night with me every weekend, which is unfair on me. Why am I being punished?

• Mixing your tenses a bit there, mate, but I assume the last sentence also refers to Reading? I’m ignorant of whatever overall mess they’re in (and haven’t looked at the table) but did see that they lost 0-7 at home recently.

• @micra said:
    Mixing your tenses a bit there, mate, but I assume the last sentence also refers to Reading? I’m ignorant of whatever overall mess they’re in (and haven’t looked at the table) but did see that they lost 0-7 at home recently.

Have a look into Reading's plight. Years of gross over spending finally catching them up.

• Our claim in the administration has a fair degree of merit especially in light of MM's admission to deliberately delaying submission of accounts to avoid points deductions last season and us therefore being relegated by 1 point. Boro on the other hand have a much more dubious claim as there was no guarantee that they would have won the play offs and nothing they can say would show on the balance of probabilities that that was not the case.
    DCFC/MM created this unholy mess and are the only ones to blame.
    Rob has made it clear he has no animosity to their fans, but like most of us does not believe that they did not have some inkling of how their club was bending the rules/cheating. He also made it clear that he is happy to negotiate with the administrators...

• They are loving Direby on Quest tonight.

• Odd really how much credit they are being given, yes they are winning games despite a lot of uncertainty but they are also a very good squad of players that they seem under no pressure to sell or release despite not being able to pay their debts or taxes.

• A caller on 606 (Derby fan) said that the EFL are not allowing them to progress with the preferred new owner until the Boro and WWFC comp claims have been dealt with, and had 17 days and counting, to do so. Seemed to blame EFL and was worried Derby would soon be no more. No acceptance that Derby did anything wrong. Chris Sutton did point out that the EFL weren’t there to put their side, and that he was making some pretty big allegations. Sutton and Savage tactfully concluded that Derby were “in a right mess.”

• The derby fans have now started a petition to the sports minister to get involved and sort this mess out, also sending it to Elton John and rod stewart as that might help.

• edited January 2022

I may be misunderstanding this but if outstanding claims from us and and Boro prevent a sale going through and Derby end up in liquidation, then we're not getting any money anyway are we?

So we'll forever be left with the legacy of being the club that killed Derby County for no other reason than to punish them and prove a point. Wycombe fans currently supportive of Rob Couhig's actions need to have a really long think about whether they are comfortable with having that on us for the rest of time.

We can still emerge from this as the "bigger man". We've made our point, but the cost of what we are doing (ie the potential death of a club that's been at the heart of its community for coming up to 150 years and all the history that that brings), is just too high.

We don't need our pound of flesh, time to drop it now and move on

• I agree with Eric

• They've cheated, whilst uncomfortable with the potential, if it is allowed, would you be happy for them to be taken over, slate wiped clean and then a new owner buy their way back? I know I wouldn't.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    They've cheated, whilst uncomfortable with the potential, if it is allowed, would you be happy for them to be taken over, slate wiped clean and then a new owner buy their way back? I know I wouldn't.

If the alternative is the club ceasing to exist, then yes.

These seem to me to be the two possible outcomes

• I have to say I’m in alignment with Eric on this one as well.
    Whilst, obviously, the root cause of their plight is overspending they have a chance to be sold and we are allegedly stopping that from happening.
    Which means we could be accused of being the root cause of them going out of business.
    Now if they owed us a load of cash for a transfer then fair enough.
    This is where the EFL need to re-do the rules. Derby should of had to resubmit the accounts by 1st March then if they didn’t a points deduction should have been given. Which would have allowed them enough time to make that up on the pitch.
    Everyone would have known where they stood.
    I don’t like deductions after the season is completed.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    They've cheated, whilst uncomfortable with the potential, if it is allowed, would you be happy for them to be taken over, slate wiped clean and then a new owner buy their way back? I know I wouldn't.

Agreed

• But we wouldn't get any money. So you just want to kill them to punish them?

• To me it's looking a bit like, the EFL are making it hard for them to get someone in during this window, so they can't get new players in and have to sell what they have, which should relegate them. Then maybe as soon as the window is over the takeover could be allowed to happen, so they end up being rightfully relegated. This is what I'd like, but as Eric said, I would not feel comfortable at all knowing we played a part in 150 years of history being wiped out.