Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• I was at the game and he was outstanding,as was Harry Winks. Both were coming in for plenty of stick from Spurs fans I was chatting to before the game.

Worth visiting that Spurs ground by the way. It is unbelievable

• @eric_plant said:

Did you take your Half and Half scarf!

• As if there is/was a chance of Dele going to Derby ! Lol.. they're deluded

If he does leave it will be for another Prem team or abroad

• I’ve gone through page after page on the Derby forum and apart from some very unfortunate language sent in our direction and the feeling that Rob will probably have to get a few more replacement seats if we ever meet their defence can be boiled down to.

1. Everyone else was doing it .
  • If Alli moves to a team with a good manager, he will be a dangerous player wanting to prove everyone wrong. Not sure The Sheep will be his next destination though.

• I see that a potential buyer has dropped out saying ""But a £38m wage bill on a company grossing £33m to £35m isn’t good business. And that doesn’t count transfer fees and loan deals." I would think that nobody will want to take over with that hanging over it.

• Response from Derby, "But if you double the wage budget you will be guaranteed promotion and earn over £150m the following season"

• @mooneyman said:
    Response from Derby, "But if you double the wage budget you will be guaranteed promotion and earn over £150m the following season"

Yup, and the administrators are claiming their issues with the bidder aren't that they won't take stuff on but that they haven't bid as much as other parties.

• edited December 2021

@eric_plant said:
    I was at the game and he was outstanding,as was Harry Winks. Both were coming in for plenty of stick from Spurs fans I was chatting to before the game.

I was at the game too…incredible ground and worth a visit just to see it. I don’t agree he was outstanding but I thought he was quite good. Salah and Mane were the outstanding players on the pitch for me, Milner was really useful too. Who would buy Kane for any decent money now?

I can confirm that half and half scarves were available outside the ground …presumably for those Liverpool fans wanting a souvenir of their visit to the newest ground in English football.

• @Forest_Blue said:

@eric_plant said:
    I was at the game and he was outstanding,as was Harry Winks. Both were coming in for plenty of stick from Spurs fans I was chatting to before the game.

I was at the game too…incredible ground and worth a visit just to see it. I don’t agree he was outstanding but I thought he was quite good. Salah and Mane were the outstanding players on the pitch for me, Milner was really useful too. Who would buy Kane for any decent money now?

I can confirm that half and half scarves were available outside the ground …presumably for those Liverpool fans wanting a souvenir of their visit to the newest ground in English football.

Brentford or Wimbledon?

• I'm sure if the roles were reversed we'd be exactly the same

• I bet they all were writing emails to big Mel begging him to accept the points deduction and to think of the poor Wycombe supporters.

• I think they're just desperate for their club to survive. I think we'd be the same

• @eric_plant said:
    I think they're just desperate for their club to survive. I think we'd be the same

Exactly

• I agree we would be the same, wonder if they would be likewise if the roles were reversed? Had we cheated our way to staying in the Championship at their expense, I somehow doubt it.

• @eric_plant said:
    I think they're just desperate for their club to survive. I think we'd be the same

Until they recognise their owner was trying to fulfil the fans expectations for a return to the promised land they will continue to suffer from victim syndrome. Hooray for Wayne Rooney - what do you think he comes for free?? We demand we sign a top striker (or even more recently Dele Alli) it comes at a cost my friends. Wake up Derby fans. You were part of the problem and not victims. There are plenty of clubs out there who would love to be in the top tier but at all costs? Just a handful. And that handful seem to have one thing in common crippling debt.

Don’t know if it’s coincidence but the Mel Morris interview with BBC Radio Derby where he says they deliberately held back the figures knowing it would mean relegation is now unavailable on the BBC website. Hopefully Rob downloaded it.

• I never realised Robert Maxwell was once Derby chairman, so they've got a history of associating themselves with characters who turn out to be a bit dodgy...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I never realised Robert Maxwell was once Derby chairman, so they've got a history of associating themselves with characters who turn out to be a bit dodgy...

He didn’t turn out - he always was. An utter **** from day one. But I’m sure he was paraded as a messiah when he made promises

• I'd have sympathy for them of it looked like they were at any risk. Most of their twitter following are more concerned about getting new players in this January.

• edited January 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I never realised Robert Maxwell was once Derby chairman, so they've got a history of associating themselves with characters who turn out to be a bit dodgy...

My understanding is that Robert Maxwell was chairman at Oxford from 1982 to 1988, having bought the club in a period when they were in financial difficulty. Maxwell then also bought Derby in 1987 and became chairman there, so had to sever his personal relationship with Oxford in 1988, although his son Kevin and his daughter Ghislaine stayed on the board at Oxford until Robert Maxwell's death in 1991, when almost all the Oxford board resigned. Kevin stayed as chairman at Oxford for a period of months afterwards.

• Chant of "Ghislaine Maxwell, she's one of your own" in a few weeks?

• @eric_plant said:
    Chant of "Ghislaine Maxwell, she's one of your own" in a few weeks?

Seems Apt for that wretched club.
    They use to run out to a Gary Glitter song.
    Used to employ Rix, Julian Allslop .

• Agree with @TheAndyGrahamFanClub and @StrongestTeam here. There is little sign amongst the Derby support that they are in any real peril. They’re just discussing the next signings that the next money man will make to propel them back to where they think they belong.

• edited January 2022

Good to see the new era of financial responsibility is alive and well

• They're a parody, that club. Quite sad really, given their standing in the game.

• @ReturnToSenda Whilst at school I was taught by an Oxford mad maths teacher, he did all of the games home and away each season and with his brother had published a history, he regarded the Maxwell era as a time when Oxford were selling their best players (and they had many quality players, Houghton, Saunders etc) either directly to Derby or to fund Derby.

@all Some of the comments along the lines of "if we found ourselves in this position we would be making the same noises" make me ambivalent. The fact is that we have never faced precisely the same circumstances and hopefully we never will, so you can opine what you like without fear of contradiction, at least until the point in the future where those musings are tested for real. On the other hand, we have faced our own particular brand of dire financial straits and I whilst I do recall heated debates on the Gasroom about the ownership of the club, I recall many, many years of fans taking it on the chin when our best prospects moved on for less than handsome fees and a general consensus that it was the only decent course of action. So, whilst I can both sympathise and empathise with Derby fans, I don´t have any time for those of them who would just rather that anyone and everyone else would just suffer the consequences of their actions nor with the opinion that we our fans would feel likewise.

• I seem to recall someone asking earlier in this thread "How long can they stay in administration?".
    Just seen it mentioned in an article that administration process normally last for no more than 12months, although the administrator can apply to have this period extended.
    Not sure how it would sit with the EFL, if Derby were still in administration at the start of a season, but potentially they could still be lacking a buyer when they start life in league 1.