Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol City

Comments

• edited December 2020

@floyd said:

@Brownie said:
    Another great week for those who prefer performances over results

No one prefers performances over results.

It's not as straightforward as that. Watch Gareth's interview from after QPR and what he says about performances v results. Individual mistakes and wastefulness are our biggest enemies at the moment, but performances are largely where we want them.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@floyd said:

@Brownie said:
    Another great week for those who prefer performances over results

No one prefers performances over results.

It's not as straightforward as that. Watch Gareth's interview from after QPR and what he says about performances v results.

I’m not sure what you expect him to say to be honest.

• Every week feels like Gareth doesn’t have any belief that the players are good enough to go out and win a game, so we play without a midfield and just cross our fingers that somehow the ball will accidentally fall into the opposition net enough times that we get a point. I’m getting more Trevor by the week, and if this carries on I could even end up a full Wanderers82.

• Horgan, Fred and Bayo with 3 of the most average bordering on inept performances of the season. Simply can’t carry players in this league.

• Maybe the telephone call will come.

• Hugely disappointing but can't agree with @glasshalffull (whose commentary I largely enjoyed today, btw) that we deserved any more than we got despite that disappointment. Their keeper made zero saves. We could have kicked on after the goal but did not manage to maintain the quality we had shown up to then.

• I think that's probably it..... how disappointing

• Whoever said we’re losing games we should be drawing and drawing games we should be winning has nailed it.

• If we look at Forest as the safety mark now because of Rotherham's game in hands, that's a six-point gap. Still perfectly bridgeable but clearly getting more and more desperate by the week.

• I'm off before all the positive Peter's fill up the forum... but sorry, we dont create enough chances, dont look like scoring anywhere near enough goals

Good night... here's hoping for Tuesday

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Horgan, Fred and Bayo with 3 of the most average bordering on inept performances of the season. Simply can’t carry players in this league.

Disagree about Bayo..but not impressed with Fred and Horgan today. Can somebody upset Fred before the match if getting him angry is required!

• edited December 2020

@floyd said:
    Whoever said we’re losing games we should be drawing and drawing games we should be winning has nailed it.

Except I'd peg that one as a lost game that we should have won (along with a fair few in the last few weeks). My view about the quality of the other teams in this league has changed almost 100% since the first few games of the season! Not that I now think that they're rubbish but we've every chance to be competitive, even with the players we have.

• edited December 2020

@HolmerBlue said:
    I'm off before all the positive Peter's fill up the forum... but sorry, we dont create enough chances, dont look like scoring anywhere near enough goals

How much do people realistically expect us to create? We're creating like a lower mid-table team, which is decent considering our comparative resources. We didn't create much today, but the wastefulness is the real issue overall.

• We’ve seen this game played out 7-8 times at least now. Wycombe the better side in most areas, but inferior where it really counts: inside the 18 yard box.

Need a striker on loan in Jan that comes in and scores 8-12 goals. Or Ikpeazu doing the same. Obviously, the chances of us finding that player are slim and even then it probably wouldn’t be enough to keep us up.

So frustrating as we played really well again. But when the ball goes in the box we just aren’t converting enough good positions.

None of this is a surprise of course. We don’t have the cash to go out and buy the quality that others do. Can’t really fault any of the players. We’re just coming up short because of a lack of a £5m centre forward.

Great to have Thompson back. He really is superb and probably the one player that other clubs might be eyeing up. And pleasing that we’re finally getting some players back from injury.

• And I’m sorry the argument for having Bayo in the side is worth nothing. I love the guy. He’s a Wycombe legend. But no he does not win flick ons, no he does not drag two defenders away, no he is not a threat at set pieces, no he is not a goal threat. Yes we gained points with him in the side but we also gained points with Stockdale on the bench so use that logic.
    Another winnable game lost because too many players didn’t show up and were not subbed quick enough.

• At times this season we have been very unfortunate, but I'm not buying it today I'm afraid. Bristol City weren't great, but they created the better chances throughout and deserved the win. We got a big slice of luck with the goal and whilst we did put them under pressure at times, we rarely looked like scoring.

A huge disappointment, because as with QPR last week, this was winnable.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I'm off before all the positive Peter's fill up the forum... but sorry, we dont create enough chances, dont look like scoring anywhere near enough goals

Only 21 games in, competing well etc.. Only 2 wins away from safety etc etc

• Dont worry @HolmerBlue there'll be plenty of Negative Nigels as well.

• edited December 2020

It's not bad luck that we keep getting these sucker punch results sadly. We keep starting well, conceding a soft goal, leaving ourselves chasing the game and though we played some neater stuff second half (and Bayo had a much better game) creating hardly any clear cut chances.

We get ourselves back in the game, play some much better football but fail to either create or be clinical. One lapse at the back and the opposition take their chance and score - how often this year have we taken advantage of a defensive error and lashed the ball in the net as Diedhou did at the end there? Starting to become depressingly predictable.

Previous times this has happened (Preston in particular) I came away seeing the positives that AP and Matt Cecil pointed out on comms and being encouraged but its happening too many times now that it can't simply be "bad luck". Other teams pulling away whilst we continue in the same run is for the first time this season making me pretty convinced we are leaving ourselves too much to do between now and May.

• @HCblue said:

@floyd said:
    Whoever said we’re losing games we should be drawing and drawing games we should be winning has nailed it.

Except I'd peg that one as a lost game that we should have won!

Think if anything we settled for the draw when we had them on the ropes. Need to be more proactive. Can't keep talking about late goals as being some kind of heartbreaking surprise, the better teams will play on til the jobs done.
    We can be happy with causing problems for an expensively assembled team but everyone we're playing fits that category and we need to be a bit more ruthless when we do get chances to grab points.

• I don’t think anyone’s criticising Bayo the man and the figurehead. But Bayo the player really needs a rest. He was poor today. I don’t believe that old chestnut that opposition defences are too concerned at the moment when they see him on the team sheet.

• @Brownie said:
    It's not bad luck that we keep getting these sucker punch results sadly. We keep starting well, conceding a soft goal, leaving ourselves chasing the game and though we played some neater stuff second half (and Bayo had a much better game) creating hardly any clear cut chances.

We get ourselves back in the game, play some much better football but fail to either create or be clinical. One lapse at the back and the opposition take their chance and score - how often this year have we taken advantage of a defensive error and lashed the ball in the net as Diedhou did at the end there? Starting to become depressingly predictable.

Previous times this has happened (Preston in particular) I came away seeing the positives tjay AP and Matt Cecil pointed out on comms and being encouraged but its happening too many times now that it can't simply be "bad luck". Other teams pulling away whilst we continue in the same run is for the first time this season making me pretty convinced we are leaving ourselves too much to do between now and May.

It was always likely to be a one year tour. All bar the relentlessly positive knew it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I was always of the 'I think we will go down but won't be surprised if we pull off a miracle' outlook.

I might be surprised if we pull off the miracle now.

• Just wish we would try something different, what do we have to lose! Try a more passing game, change tactics when losing..just seems every week is a carbon copy of the last game!

• I imagine we will be relegated by the end of Feb unless we get a few players in ,stop playing bayo and Fred all game . I've had enough of "we have learned lessons bollocks" . We haven't because we keep getting beaten!! city should of been out of site by just after half time if they could shot straight ,I will leave it at that.

• @fame_46 said:
    Again we were competitive, Bristol obviously missing players but nothing special for a top ten side. Like most teams we play that little bit of extra quality takes the game away from us.

1 Shot on target and 15 off target tells the story. Crossing was wayward and final product lacked quality. We have missed Antony Stewart massively last few games. Chris Martin pre predominantly being marked by Fred for the first goal. Shouldn't be happening and that is an lack of communication and leadership at the back.

Second goal also preventable, dont want to place too much on McCleary shoulders as their striker should have someone tighter to stop the free shot. It was a great strike though to be honest.

Hopefully Tuesdsy will bring some needed points.

COYB.

I've been so caught up in our shortcomings at the other end the last couple of games that I'd forgotten about what a huge loss Stewart is. So close to having everyone fit, but how long will it stay that way?

• @Malone said:

@HolmerBlue said:

Only 21 games in, competing well etc.. Only 2 wins away from safety etc etc

Those are literally the facts though.

For all our poor results, we still haven't reached the halfway point of the season and are only 2 games away from climbing out the relegation zone. It may not seem like it's just around the corner, but at some point we will win a game and the important point then is to put a run together, 2 in a row, 3 wins in 5.

• @WidmerWanderer said:
    Just wish we would try something different, what do we have to lose! Try a more passing game, change tactics when losing..just seems every week is a carbon copy of the last game!

This. Same every week. None of it leading to goals.

• @kiscokid said:
    I don’t think anyone’s criticising Bayo the man and the figurehead. But Bayo the player really needs a rest. He was poor today.

He really wasn't.