Skip to content

Match day thread: QPR

Comments

• @Malone said:
    I've never seen a guy of such age use sarcasm so frequently as RITM.
    It strikes me as the younger man's plaything.

Yeah, we're all really sarcastic.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

Not all younger men of course.
    But when did you last hear a 60+ year old constantly making snipey sarky remarks?

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

But when did you last hear a 60+ year old constantly making snipey sarky remarks?

Try living in God’s Own County. All. The. Bleeding’. Time,

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

Not all younger men of course.

Hard to say as I don't tend to hang out with them ;)

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Username said:
    With our current injury crisis I think Freeman has to be given a game or two with Mehmeti to see if we can play a different way.

In all your time of watching Ainsworth managing Wycombe have you ever got even the slightest inclination he might want to play in a different way?
    We just need to be slightly more clinical at what we have done for years.

I actually thought that season after Torquay we did play in a different way. Some of the football we played at the start of the season in particular was a real pleasure to watch I seem to remember

• The opposition view... my QPR supporting mate sent this to me. I have read some of his stuff before and always found it honest, refreshing and amusing.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/53746

Quite a nice antidote to the boring opposition cretins on Twitter.

• @NoelAshford said:
    The opposition view... my QPR supporting mate sent this to me. I have read some of his stuff before and always found it honest, refreshing and amusing.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/53746

Quite a nice antidote to the boring opposition cretins on Twitter.

Decent review, bit worrying that they want rid of Warburton though!

• @Malone said:

Bless you for seeing sarcasm when I was actually just taking a dig in that post. I do like a bit of sarcasm but unfortunately that wasn't.

Young at heart

• Why are you worried about QPR getting rid of Warburton? If you think Gaz would jump ship, you are worrying for nothing. Why would he go now, given what he has built here and finally got a decent owner with whom he has a great relationship.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EwanHoosaami said:
    Why are you worried about QPR getting rid of Warburton? If you think Gaz would jump ship, you are worrying for nothing. Why would he go now, given what he has built here and finally got a decent owner with whom he has a great relationship.

QPR are still a far bigger club than we will be in the next 10-20 years, I hope you're right, but you can't pretend there wouldn't be a chance that GA could be tempted, especially if we're bottom at the time they come calling.

• Are you sure they'd come calling? I think Gareth could have been approached by QPR in the summer but I'm not sure why a Championship club would approach the manager of the club at the bottom of the table and on course for the lowest goals scored / points gained in its history.

Unfair? Yes, totally. But poaching Gareth wouldn't exactly be making a statement of ambition to investors or fans (who also won't be enamored by his style of play).

It's good for us, of course. And, should we stay up, all of the sudden the manager who pulled off the great escape will look like a tasty prospect again. But until that happens I don't think we need to worry too much.

• edited December 2020

@Username QPR are still an absolute basket case of a club mate. On a personal level, it really is a no brainer for GAs' long term employment. Here he has a future almost as long as he wants it, this includes relegation, as I believe the club have, (financially), included that scenario. QPR, whilst I don't think they will go down, (based on only the view that there are worse teams), won't escape by much. As a longer term employment prospect, I certainly wouldn't be looking in that direction. I know there is a "tug on the heartstrings" but after years of scrimping & saving, to finally be allowed to focus on managing, having a CFO take care of the spreadsheets, fans that are in general forgiving & understanding plus an owner that has trust in him, it must be a pleasure to have the release of the pressure for a year or so.
    I have no idea of the salary figures, but, looking logically, (for example purpose only), five years at £100K = £500K at WWFC. 1 year at £200K then the sack = £200K, as QPR have a recent record with managers that's not exactly stable. Also where do you go after that?
    Surely, it would be back to L1/2 football at a Wimbledon, Lincoln, Northampton or Fleetwood, some of which will require moving his family. Might as well stay put, try & keep us up, if not, have another shot at L1 with a better squad and enjoy the ride?

• I'd be interested to know which teams you think are worse than QPR. I thought they were absolutely abysmal. Worse side I've seen this season by miles, and that includes us

• Gareth has made history here...and if we stay up...he's done it again. If not he gets to try and get us back up again. I think unless he decides he's had enough his job is safe. There are not that many clubs that would take a chance on poaching him and - I think - not many clubs he would want to risk failing at.

• edited December 2020

QPR are one of the better run clubs at this level and he'd be made to work on a relative shoestring, which he knows he can succeed on - not to mention he has he genuine legend status there. That said, I doubt he'd leave one relegation battle for another. I think we've got him for at least the rest of the season, probably longer. When he does leave, I think it's more likely to be in the summer anyway, so he can start with as close to his squad as possible.

• I don't think there's any way Gaz would turn down the QPR job if it was offered to him.

Haven't we always known that deep down?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    @Username QPR are still an absolute basket case of a club mate. On a personal level, it really is a no brainer for GAs' long term employment. Here he has a future almost as long as he wants it, this includes relegation, as I believe the club have, (financially), included that scenario. QPR, whilst I don't think they will go down, (based on only the view that there are worse teams), won't escape by much. As a longer term employment prospect, I certainly wouldn't be looking in that direction. I know there is a "tug on the heartstrings" but after years of scrimping & saving, to finally be allowed to focus on managing, having a CFO take care of the spreadsheets, fans that are in general forgiving & understanding plus an owner that has trust in him, it must be a pleasure to have the release of the pressure for a year or so.
    I have no idea of the salary figures, but, looking logically, (for example purpose only), five years at £100K = £500K at WWFC. 1 year at £200K then the sack = £200K, as QPR have a recent record with managers that's not exactly stable. Also where do you go after that?
    Surely, it would be back to L1/2 football at a Wimbledon, Lincoln, Northampton or Fleetwood, some of which will require moving his family. Might as well stay put, try & keep us up, if not, have another shot at L1 with a better squad and enjoy the ride?

I don't disagree with anything you said, but if I was a general football person, not a wycombe fan, I'd be jumping at the chance to move to QPR from Wycombe, it's just another level in terms of size of club, and if GA does want to move on up, he's not going to get a genuinely big job without succeeding at a bigger club than wycombe first

• Didn't he have the QPR job for a week once?

• Gareth had two spells as QPR caretaker manager. It’s not giving too much away to say that he found the owners at the time to be somewhat challenging!

• Flavio Briatore was the challenging one, wasn't he? He's long gone.

• There is a documentary called "The Four Year" plan which was filmed at that time.

It's well worth finding if you haven't seen it

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Flavio Briatore was the challenging one, wasn't he? He's long gone.

I know, that’s why I said the owner at the time.

• @glasshalffull said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Flavio Briatore was the challenging one, wasn't he? He's long gone.

I know, that’s why I said the owner at the time.

Sorry, misread!

• It’s always been said QPR and Blackburn are the only two clubs he would go to. But that was when they were not close rivals in ‘the pyramid’ which they both now are.

• It'd be a major surprise to see Gareth jump to QPR mid season when we're in the same division.
    He's worked wonders to get us here so to not get to experience the whole season wouldn't be a great call. Like someone said earlier the job security would instantly plummet as well.

If we go down, be it in the summer, or if we're a few months in and midtable and then the vacancy came up - that'd be a totally different scenario.

• @eric_plant said:
    I'd be interested to know which teams you think are worse than QPR. I thought they were absolutely abysmal. Worse side I've seen this season by miles, and that includes us

Don't disagree with your overall assessment. Just think that QPR will buy their safety & Warburton I believe has just about enough in him to get them over the line.

• @eric_plant said:
    I don't think there's any way Gaz would turn down the QPR job if it was offered to him.

Haven't we always known that deep down?

It would be very bizarre for QPR, who are hurtling towards the relegation zone, to appoint the manager of the team currently bottom of the league.

I don’t recall anything similar happening before, it may be the best time for QPR to be looking for a manager in regards to GA staying with us.

It also strikes me as a move GA would be more likely to make in the off season, he doesn’t seem the type to jump ship and join a fellow relegation rival.

• @eric_plant said:
    I'd be interested to know which teams you think are worse than QPR. I thought they were absolutely abysmal. Worse side I've seen this season by miles, and that includes us

Agreed the not so super hoops, were the poorest side, I've seen this year by a long chalk.

• edited December 2020

I agree with those who say there is almost no chance of GA leaving at present. Those associated with Wycombe are well aware of the context surrounding our bottom position (lack of funds compared to other clubs, competitive games just lacking that one moment from us), but other clubs are less likely to really dig in to all that. They will be aware we have less money, but 12 points still does not look like success to another Championship club. Even the appearance of firing a manager in a relegation fight only to appoint the manager of the bottom club, is something clubs would be keen to avoid.

I think Wycombe will have become even more attractive to an already loyal GA over the past year, as even with potential relegation, there is a feeling of a golden era around the club, with owners eager to improve everything about Wycombe both on and off the pitch. Job security, no need to move home, and a club he has built in his own image will be an intoxicating mixture.

GA has always been honest about his ambition, and none of us think he will be here forever, but I just don't see where the job offer would come from unless he kept us up and then stabilized us over the course of next season. So a very small chance of a move next summer, but not before then.