Skip to content

Match day thread: QPR

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@micra said:

The caveat is that I feel most players have been displaying considerable skill this season.

Just cheekily wondering which players aren't showing considerable skill based on this comment.
    Pendantic?

What I had in mind was that the likes of Horgan, Kashket•, McCleary, Wheeler, Freeman, Mehmeti, Grimmer, Knight and Jacobson (of those who played today) all displayed considerable skill and have shown, in my opinion, that they are good enough to compete (if not excel) at Championship level.

• Kashket failed to do today what Kashket
    normally does best.

Of course there are several others, including some currently on the injured list, who have also looked comfortable at this level.

• Horgan became more involved in the second half but always seemed to make the wrong decision and lacked end product as a result.

• @Chris said:
    @micra how do you feel about the lack of an apostrophe in Queens Park Rangers?

To be honest @Chris I’d never noticed. Must trust the Beeb and nip over to their sports section. Time I looked at today’s stats, anyway (and also to see if the odds have reduced against us playing league games against my so-in-law’s club, Arsenal) !

• Horgan is a good player but just seems to lack the final product so far. But it will come.

• Great post match interview with GA on the club website

• Right cop-out by BBC @Chris. Not spelt out at all.
    Arsenal lost again. If we’d put away just one of the chances preceding Mehmeti’s strike the odds would have surely dropped below 1000-1 or whatever they are.

• @micra said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@micra said:

The caveat is that I feel most players have been displaying considerable skill this season.

Just cheekily wondering which players aren't showing considerable skill based on this comment.
    Pendantic?

What I had in mind was that the likes of Horgan, Kashket•, McCleary, Wheeler, Freeman, Mehmeti, Grimmer, Knight and Jacobson (of those who played today) all displayed considerable skill and have shown, in my opinion, that they are good enough to compete (if not excel) at Championship level.

normally does best.

Of course there are several others, including some currently on the injured list, who have also looked comfortable at this level.

Ok. Thanks. McCarthy, Fred, Uche and Bayo aren't in your good books today then. Fingers crossed for them next time.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Horgan is a good player but just seems to lack the final product so far. But it will come.

I thought today was one of Horgan's most involved games. Looks a class player with the ball at his feet.

• @micra said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@micra said:

Pendantic?

normally does best.

Off that display from QPR today, surely they have a high chance of going down if nothing changes set up wise.

• edited December 2020

They were abysmal, comfortably the worst team we've played this season - and that's saying something considering how bad Sheffield Wednesday were when we beat them. Which, of course, makes the fact that we only got a draw all the more frustrating.

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    Great post match interview with GA on the club website

I was worried about him after the game, but he seems back to himself.

• Was there a replay of the penalty shout at the time? I didn't spot it at all.

• Likewise, I couldn't spot the alleged handball at all. The players certainly seemed convinced though.

• @Malone said:

@micra said:
    It’d be hard to dissect “we are shocking” or to show mercy!

Seriously though, it’s good to see @Doober48 that you’ve taken the time to make a more extensive and considered comment (with which I fully agree with one very minor caveat). The caveat is that I feel most players have been displaying considerable skill this season.

You say you are not young so I am now having to decide whether you are 48 or 72!
    If the former, you are young. If the latter, you are only ten years my junior.

Be delighted if you chipped in a bit more often - once a month perhaps?

Apologies for any offence. I must give it a rest.

Are you saying you would be delighted? Or are you saying he will be delighted?
    Clumsy language son.

I may be biased, dad, but I see no ambiguity. Only a psychic could predict whether young doober would find himself in a state of delight after, for example, posting his reflections on a rare and wonderful Wycombe victory.

• edited December 2020

He says Tafazolli will be back for Bristol City. Wants "at least one more defender" (Knight going back?) and a striker in January.

• Watford just sacked there manager despite them being 5th. So glad I support us and not them!

• Bloody hell that will be 5 managers/head coaches in a year for the Hornets

• edited December 2020

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Soon as I saw that Gavin Ward was ref my eyebrows raised and I said not that pedantic prick again. Sure he was bullied at school & delights at being centre stage. The foul he gave against Uche was typical of him & I think that is what Gareth was arguing with him about. Rightly so, as it is what we have witnessed for the last 4 years with Bayo. Superior strength doesn't equal a foul FFS.

He's not the only ref to apply the new amendment to the laws of the game that stipulates it's automatically a foul against Wycombe if Uche gets within 10 yards of the ball.

• edited December 2020

@Chickenhead said:
    Watford just sacked there manager despite them being 5th. So glad I support us and not them!

They are badly underperforming for the squad they have tbf - but probably the wrong appointment in the first place.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Was there a replay of the penalty shout at the time? I didn't spot it at all.

After the game I rewound the iFollow coverage and it’s soft but a definite penalty. The defender who clears it away from the goal stumbles forward and clumsily pushes the ball with his arm (which is away from his body.)

• Ched Evans is newly available if we want a striker!!! Imagine being sacked for disciplinary reasons by Joey Barton. The mind boggles as to what he did that even Joey Barton considered it a sackable offence!!

• The penalty claim was indeed a strong one, clear handball

• @Wendoverman said:
    @bookertease forest supporter? I cant help it. Geography and fate. ?

You could have followed County?..a few at my school followed the Magpies...probably went with their grandads.

• I thought Freeman was ‘tidy’ today. He can turn with the ball and run at players...that won’t hurt his chances of getting another start and he didn’t make many/any mistakes on the ball and give away possession.

Horgan and McCleary both beat defenders and got crosses into the box, another big tick. But Bayo is simply not on top form with his finishing and looks to be a yard or two away from where he needs to be in the box to get the space to finish...maybe he is just off the pace this season with age catching up on him but if you can’t create a yard if space in the box then it’s hard to score.

And Scotty seems to need three good chances to score one right now. I love this team but we need to sharpen up in front of goal.

• Yesterday showed why both sides are likely to get relegated. Both were pretty bad for Championship level football.

Our final third play is not up to it. Horgan and Kashket both missing chances that we’ve seen other teams bury against us. Our crossing is more hit and hope than precision. We did brilliantly creating some space out wide but regularly the balls in were hopeful rather than clinical.

I was baffled why Bayo stayed on, Freeman was hauled off having done well in a new position and Mehmeti was asked to play CDM. We were at sixes and sevens until Wheeler was dragged back to help Mehmeti and Mehmeti then pushed forward more.

A great finish by the young man, well done. If anything I’d prefer to have him up front than Kashket on current form as I’m not sure he’s strong enough yet in midfield. If Kashket is scoring goals then I understand why he is picked, when he’s missing chances does he offer enough to be an automatic starter? For me he doesn’t and I get why GA has given him such an extended run in the side but maybe it’s time to give someone else a go.

We’ve still not seen Fred, McCleary and Horgan on the pitch together. I’d really like to see that tried as one of them is always left on the bench to accommodate the Kashket / Bayo combination.

Onto the defence. We ideally need a left footer at left centre back or someone who is prepared to use their left foot. McCarthy has scored two own goals going with the wrong foot. Perhaps Knight and him should have switched or one of last years stars, in Darius, should be given another go.

Time is running out a little to get something going. However, if in the 2nd half of the season we can get all our players fit we still can give it a good go and just maybe we might be this seasons Barnsley and Luton.

With Bristol City on a horrendous run just maybe we can have a good Boxing Day if we can get Stewart, Thompson and Adeniran fit.

• It’s all about ‘just maybes’ this season.

• I don’t agree that we were ‘pretty bad’; just not sharp or confident enough in the opposition box.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Shev said:

@Wendoverman said:
    @bookertease forest supporter? I cant help it. Geography and fate. ?

Would have been very apt for you to be in the trees behind the terrace today!

By the bloody drummer? No chance!

Lol ? should come stand near me

• @floyd said:
    Fair play to the drummer. No ones put in more effort to see less action this season.

Cheers mate much appreciated happy we got draw should of won but hey we move to Bristol now

• @Chickenhead said:
    Watford just sacked there manager despite them being 5th. So glad I support us and not them!

And this one got manager of the month about two weeks ago! At least we know Gareth won't be going to these nutters. Joey Barton would be an ideal fit.