Skip to content

Match day thread: QPR

Comments

• Another one for the list , however little that helps. Hope we can get some more players back/in, would be a shame if this whole season comes down to us not being quite good enough every week without the rub of the green as that doesn't seem to be rushing to our rescue any time soon.

• Btw, look at the faces of the goalie and defender, they knew.

• @Forest_Blue said:

@Wendoverman said:
    @bookertease forest supporter? I cant help it. Geography and fate. ?

You could have followed County?..a few at my school followed the Magpies...probably went with their grandads.

There are County elements in the family ('I used to drink with Tommy Lawton, Les Bradd, Jimmy Sirrel etc etc ) but I was a lad when Cloughie turned up and the glamour turned my head...

• Agree Horgan AND McLeary should be on. From what beanie said its the fact Scotty will run and run for the time he is on the pitch so always a danger. I think Bayo was off the pace yesterday and should have gone earlier myself.

• @uptheblues said:

@Wendoverman said:

@Shev said:

@Wendoverman said:
    @bookertease forest supporter? I cant help it. Geography and fate. ?

Would have been very apt for you to be in the trees behind the terrace today!

By the bloody drummer? No chance!

Lol ? should come stand near me

Fair play to you mate but its too cold and my ears would not take it!?

• Just watched Ainsworth's post match interview. Clearly very confident we will stay up. Not sure how many share his optimism after only 2 wins in 20 games but that's his role. We are obviously more competitive but it is still difficult to see us winning almost half the remaining games. We don't create many chances and when we do , we are not clinical enough( Kashket yesterday). Injuries this season to key players have hurt us badly. Interesting comments on potential new signings in the January window. Hopefully the defender is not a replacement for Knight who has been a real star in a difficult season.
    Hopefully we are signing Mehmeti on a longer contract if as Ainsworth eluded to , he will play in the Premiership !! .

• That Ainsworth eh? I can think of a few who don't share his optimism. Some haven't shared it since Torquay.

• @Commoner said:
    Onto the defence. We ideally need a left footer at left centre back or someone who is prepared to use their left foot. McCarthy has scored two own goals going with the wrong foot. Perhaps Knight and him should have switched or one of last years stars, in Darius, should be given another go.

Agreed. A left-footer at LCB is also better for ball progression and harder for the opposition to set pressing traps against. I know Stewart has managed there, but it's his weaker side and it's not ideal.

• And Mehmeti should be starting regularly - he keeps on seizing his chance and you can't ignore that kind of impact.

• On present form (very limited data, I know) there’s an argument for giving Mehmeti a shot at the Kashket role. Several shots would be good.

• Would have to see more of Mehmeti but not sure he has the raw acceleration Kashket has.

Think it's still too early for him to be starting regularly. He's had a couple of games where he's been swamped.
    Yesterday was a superb goal out of nothing though. So he needs to keep being involved. But probably from the bench.

• edited December 2020

@micra said:
    On present form (very limited data, I know) there’s an argument for giving Mehmeti a shot at the Kashket role. Several shots would be good.

I'd play him in that kind of role while he develops the defensive side of his game.

• Just seen the little 10 min highlights on Sky Sports and the handball was much more obvious than I realised in my distracted viewing yesterday. Also looked like Kashket's 2nd half header was onside.

• Mehmeti ahead ok Kasket? Come on, a few games ago he hadn’t played one minute of professional football, he scored yes but was chasing shadows up till then and has looked lost in other games, yes he’s a talent but he need nurturing and developing, impact sub at best, but to expect a youngster to turn Wycombe’s season around is ridiculous, kashket is proven but just wasn’t his day, his first effort he hit the target but keeper saved it, it happens in football, to even the best in the world, his second effort was coming at him fast with spin, Horgan, Fred and Mcleary are our proven championship players yet couldn’t change our fortunes, so to throw out Mahmeti should start is very hopeful, Freeman again impressed in a defensive roll when we know he’s an attacking midfielder, disciplined, tried to bring the forwards into the game without the hoof and hope we generally get, always looking for the forward pass on the ground, unfortunately Bayo has played too many games and it’s just not happening for him, but if kasket would had scored his first effort, we would all be raving over the little and large show again as we’ve done in the past,

• @floyd said:
    Fair play to the drummer. No ones put in more effort to see less action this season.

Cheers mate much appreciated happy we got draw should of won but hey we move to Bristol now

• It’s odd how different people see different games. A few years ago, Kashket offered a great finish and not a lot else for me. I’d have picked him then every time though, as that kind of a finisher is vital in any team, at any level. This season, for me, he has added a lot to his game. His pace and high press is first class and he puts defenders on the back foot. Yesterday, he was starting to show some great hold up play and lay offs. He is really developing into a top forward. Unfortunately, his most natural attribute, his finishing, has just completely gone at the moment. Whether that just be form or confidence, but it will be back soon. If he keeps getting into the positions he has, the goals will return. Now is not the time to take him out of the side, he is consistently out most dangerous looking attacker.

I think if you put Kashket into a higher end Championship side, he comfortably get 15 goals a season minimum.

• Uche and Kashket together for a run of games could be really interesting to see as Bayo needs to be used sparingly where he has shown he can still have a massive impact. With Horgan and McCleary on the wings. Get Thompson and Gape/Adeniran back in the middle. Stewart back in defence. That is a really strong looking side that, when we play 442 has shown it can play some lovely stuff. Whether that’s good enough to stay up in a really strong division, who knows, but as a club we continue to be doing a great job in my opinion.

• edited December 2020

I agree, Kashket is playing as well as he ever has at this point. He’s incredibly hard working, and his ability to still get into the goal scoring positions he did yesterday while contributing defensively is outstanding. Sometimes you don’t score, but to be getting into the right place to make those chances happen is the important thing. If he keeps doing that then the goals will come.

Playing Mehmeti instead of Kashket in that role is just craziness.

• edited December 2020

I think Uche could probably play up front on his own - in time - allowing us to accommodate three of McCleary/Wheeler/Kashket/Mehmeti/Horgan/Fred behind and play with a double pivot.

• edited December 2020

And I'm not saying Mehmeti should automatically start over Kashket, but when Kashket needs rotating out then that role would suit him better than a deeper one while he develops his defensive game imo. I'd still like to see him in an advanced midfield role from the start though - I've not heard Gaz speak so highly of a young player since Eze.

• Haven’t heard GA’s post match press conference, what did he say regarding the transfer window?

Will be interesting to see how we approach it, a fully fit squad and a couple of quality additions and all of a sudden our starting 11 looks strong.

• @Vincey said:
    Haven’t heard GA’s post match press conference, what did he say regarding the transfer window?

Will be interesting to see how we approach it, a fully fit squad and a couple of quality additions and all of a sudden our starting 11 looks strong.

He wants "at least one more defender" and, from the sound of it, a striker.

• @Gooner1963 said:
    Mehmeti ahead ok Kasket? Come on, a few games ago he hadn’t played one minute of professional football, he scored yes but was chasing shadows up till then and has looked lost in other games, yes he’s a talent but he need nurturing and developing, impact sub at best, but to expect a youngster to turn Wycombe’s season around is ridiculous, kashket is proven but just wasn’t his day, his first effort he hit the target but keeper saved it, it happens in football, to even the best in the world, his second effort was coming at him fast with spin, Horgan, Fred and Mcleary are our proven championship players yet couldn’t change our fortunes, so to throw out Mahmeti should start is very hopeful, Freeman again impressed in a defensive roll when we know he’s an attacking midfielder, disciplined, tried to bring the forwards into the game without the hoof and hope we generally get, always looking for the forward pass on the ground, unfortunately Bayo has played too many games and it’s just not happening for him, but if kasket would had scored his first effort, we would all be raving over the little and large show again as we’ve done in the past,

Couple of points @Gooner1963. The full stop key is next to the comma key, please use it. I was getting out of breath just reading your post.
    Agree that Kashket should play ahead of Mehmeti, as you correctly state, it is too much to expect of the lad to turn our season around. Kashkets effort in the first couple of minutes wasn't saved by their keeper, it was blasted straight at him from 4-5 yards. Even I could have "saved" that with my oversized gut!

• Kashket has been given a good run of games now and we’ve not won in nine of them. Perhaps a game on the bench and an opportunity for Fred to start instead.
    We’ve not tried Fred, Horgan and McCleary with Bayo + 2 midfielders starting a match that I can remember. I’d have no issue with Wheeler starting instead of Horgan in that three. 4-2-3-1 formation.
    Happy to see Uche instead of Bayo.
    The beauty of FHM is they’re interchangeable across the park and could be the secret to unlocking more goals.
    I don’t know how many minutes they’ve played together this season but it doesn’t feel many.

• Bayo's not mobile enough to play as a lone striker

• I thought Freeman had a good game yesterday. Great to have his ability in the middle. It really make a difference when we have a player in there that can receive the ball to feet, turn and then get a clean, controlled pass into the attacking 4. Although normally you’d expect to need a platform of Gape/Adeniran/Thompson in there to help to the dirty work. I think it is a reflection of how Vera he QPR were that they weren’t able to take advantage of our midfield two, who were both playing out of position.

Still looks to me like there is evidence we could pick up a string of a wins at some point, which is enough to offer hope. But in order to stay in touching distance we have to pick up a few more wins when we play well.

• edited December 2020

McCarthy currently scores an own goal more frequently than anyone scores a goal ?

• @Glenactico - agree on Freeman. We need someone who has composure on the ball and can find that adventurous pass.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    McCarthy currently scores an own goal more frequently than anyone scores a goal ?

What's our top scorers list looking like?

Kashket on about 4 or 5?
    I'm sure 2 or 3 have been massive errors from the opposition too.

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

What's our top scorers list looking like?

Kashket on about 4 or 5?
    I'm sure 2 or 3 have been massive errors from the opposition too.

Kashket on 4, Jacobson on 2 but both pens, Stewart, Blooms, Wheeler, McCleary and Mehmeti all on 1, Own Goals on 1