Skip to content

Match day thread: QPR

Comments

• @Username said:
    With our current injury crisis I think Freeman has to be given a game or two with Mehmeti to see if we can play a different way.

In all your time of watching Ainsworth managing Wycombe have you ever got even the slightest inclination he might want to play in a different way?
    We just need to be slightly more clinical at what we have done for years.

• But our long ball style only works if Bayo is on form, which apart from a couple of matches and the odd 10-minute period, he hasn't been. And playing a narrow 433 just allows opponents acres of space on the counter attack. It's exactly because of our style why we've lost so many and rarely score.

Now, that might change with Uche as target man. But our full backs will still be left exposed on the quick counter, especially without a Thompson or a Gape in the side to protect them.

We're in a strange situation - Gareth has invested most heavily in old-fashioned, traditional wingers, signing four in the last two seasons with Championship pedigree... and then tries to mould them into wide forwards rather than playing them in their natural position. When he does, Wheeler, McCleary and Horgan look like the quality ball players we need to get us out of the quagmire - and I still have hopes for Fred.

Those matches under Richard Dobson we played a fluid 442, still knocking it long when necessary but also utilising the wingers to both be creative but also to track back in the Wycombised way. We've seen flashes of that since, particularly in the last two matches. I hope that's an acknowledgement from Gareth that we do need to change our style to fit the personnel we have; mix it up a bit more and play with more width.

• edited December 2020

Our lack of goals nothing to do with style; it's to do with poor finishing. Nine non-penalty goals (so excluding the one own goal) from just under 20 xG just isn't good enough. We're 18th in terms of creativity; that's not the issue, our finishing is.

4-3-3 without two of Thompson, Adeniran and Gape does leave us more open, although we have got around that to an extent (particularly against Coventry) by having the full-backs play wider. There's obviously a limit to what we can do with so many key players out.

• edited December 2020

With our current injury crisis I think Freeman has to be given a game or two with Mehmeti to see if we can play a different way.

In all your time of watching Ainsworth managing Wycombe have you ever got even the slightest inclination he might want to play in a different way?
    We just need to be slightly more clinical at what we have done for years.

No, but at no point in his cycle have we had players that have been less suited to it, or been in a league where it's been this ineffectual either. GA has changed tact before, albeit changing between direct up the middle and direct down the channels, but he can adapt

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Our lack of goals nothing to do with style; it's to do with poor finishing. Nine non-penalty goals (so excluding the one own goal) from just under 20 xG just isn't good enough. We're 18th in terms of creativity; that's not the issue, our finishing is.

I don't think you've mentioned that before.

Much

• Roll on the next game... the analysis of why we're so crap is painful.

• edited December 2020

We're not even crap on the whole!

• The list of great chances we've missed is pretty eye-watering:

Horgan v Rotherham
    Charles v Rotherham
    Bayo v Watford
    Kashket v Preston
    Stewart v Stoke
    Fred v Coventry
    Kashket v QPR

There's potentially 11 extra points there - and I've probably missed out quite a lot. And I don't recall too many missed against us.

• I get severe deja vu with every matchday thread. Are we all just cutting and pasting the same views every game (player names changed obvs) or is that just me and @Wanderers82 ?

• I ‘m surprised that we are still having this debate.Remember we have all been told by @glasshalffull it’s about being defensively more secure !!

The list of great chances we've missed is pretty eye-watering:

Horgan v Rotherham
    Charles v Rotherham
    Bayo v Watford
    Kashket v Preston
    Stewart v Stoke
    Fred v Coventry
    Kashket v QPR

There's potentially 11 extra points there - and I've probably missed out quite a lot. And I don't recall too many missed against us.

That Millwall giant probably missed more chances against us in one game than that gang above have missed for us :)

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Horgan v Rotherham
    Charles v Rotherham
    Bayo v Watford
    Kashket v Preston
    Stewart v Stoke
    Fred v Coventry
    Kashket v QPR

That Millwall giant probably missed more chances against us in one game than that gang above have missed for us :)

Yeah, but we lost that game anyway, so...

Horgan v Rotherham
    Charles v Rotherham
    Bayo v Watford
    Kashket v Preston
    Stewart v Stoke
    Fred v Coventry
    Kashket v QPR

If only football was that simple eh? Just slotting these single moments in to matches sounds great but scoring early makes it a totally different game.

• edited December 2020

Horgan and Charles score and we almost certainly best Rotherham, Stewart scores and we almost certainly draw with Stoke, Kashket scores that early one and we probably go on to beat QPR - the others are maybes. But that's still seven more points. Point is we've not been good enough in front of goal and that's got to change if we're to stay up. Gareth knows it though and he's got a window to do something about it.

• Without doubt if Horgan scores 2mins into that Rotherham game everything looks totally
    different.

Unfortunately no point in shoulda woulda coulda.

We can't get relegated with 5 wins and scoring 30 goals and say it was all a hard luck story.

• It's not hard luck if your players can't finish!

• And despite what that FIFA > @davecz said:

I ‘m surprised that we are still having this debate.Remember we have all been told by @glasshalffull it’s about being defensively more secure !!

So, in your infinite wisdom, are you saying that having the second worst defensive record in the division has had no affect on our position in the table?

• @glasshalffull- clearly having the second worse defensive record is totally relevant but had we created more chances, and then been more clinical in front of goal , it would have gone some way to mitigate some of our defensive shortcomings. We need to improve at both ends of the field to be even more competitive.

• Which is exactly what I said in the first place.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @glasshalffull said:
    Which is exactly what I said in the first

Even in your in ‘ your infinite wisdom’ that’s not exactly what you said in your original post but it maybe what you meant.

• edited December 2020

@fame_46 said:
    Surely Gaz can leverage his new rock and roll relationship with Petr Cech to loan a few Chelsea players to help steer us to safety.........

No idea if this was meant seriously, but Cech is a technical advisor? (I think that's the title) at Chelsea, so that could be a very nice contact!

• This may be of no interest to anyone but I was bored today!

Trying to look at our goals scored with what I think are our three most attacking players - Bayo, Kashket and Fred.

Fred, Bayo and Kashket have each been on the pitch for 9 out of the 12 goals we've scored this season. Not all at the same time of course.

Fred has played 1020 minutes this season, starting 10 games but only 755 since Bayo's return and only 2 starts with Bayo.

Kashket 1253 minutes, 16 starts and 1075 since Bayo's return and 9 starts with Bayo.

Bayo 961 minutes since his return in the 5th match, started 9 games.

Bayo, Kashket and Fred on together 215 minutes and 4 goals - 54 minutes a goal.

Bayo & Fred together with no Kashket = 173 minutes and 3 goals - 58 minutes a goal.

Kashket & Fred with no Bayo = 327 minutes & 2 goals - 164 minutes a goal.

Bayo & Kashket with no Fred = 533 minutes & 2 goals - 265 minutes a goal.

Bayo and Fred total together on the pitch = 410 minutes and 7 goals - 59 minutes a goal. (Kashket has been on for some of those minutes).

Bayo and Kashket total on the pitch together = 780 minutes and 7 goals - 110 minutes per goal. (Fred has been on for some of those minutes)

Interestingly all 3 have only started together in 2 games. Huddersfield at home and Preston away, yielding 4 of our 12 points!

Assists this season - JJ 3 (plus two goals), Fred 3, Wheeler 2, Horgan 1, McCleary 1

McLeary and Horgan have 2 assists and 1 goal between them, the same as Wheeler on his own.

I'd really like to see Fred and Bayo starting together more often if Uche doesn't start, either in a 4-2-3-1 or if Kashket is playing then 4-4-2.

• An excellent chat about the tribulations of the chairboys following the QPR game from 32:15 featuring the ever impressive @bluntphil

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3C7FdspUXijYhXQZh6nnWh?si=MUbkAhpPSJeDkoUfjTga1g

• @Commoner said:
    This may be of no interest to anyone but I was bored today!

Interestingly all 3 have only started together in 2 games. Huddersfield at home and Preston away, yielding 4 of our 12 points!

Good work and I’m jealous (but the pedant in me should say that we only got 2 points out of those 2 games)

• @bookertease said:

@Commoner said:
    This may be of no interest to anyone but I was bored today!

Good work and I’m jealous (but the pedant in me should say that we only got 2 points out of those 2 games)

Oops, got Preston and Birmingham mixed up, I'll get my coat!

• @davecz said:
    @glasshalffull- clearly having the second worse defensive record is totally relevant but had we created more chances, and then been more clinical in front of goal , it would have gone some way to mitigate some of our defensive shortcomings. We need to improve at both ends of the field to be even more competitive.

Packed full of facts again. You are killing it today

• @Right_in_the_Middle - not certain what your issue is. Just replying to a comment from @glasshalffull .

• @davecz He just hates young people. cf: his every other snipe in this thread.

• I've never seen a guy of such age use sarcasm so frequently as RITM.
    It strikes me as the younger man's plaything.