Skip to content

Bizarre transfer rumors thread

Comments

• The real need is for a goalscoring forward -it's so obvious

• He mentioned potentially already having the creative player he would like "in the building". Has one of the new B Team recruits been tearing it up in training?!

• or is it Dennis, pushed forward, when he has Gape to play deeper?

• Almost certain it's Anis Mehmeti

• Although Gape as DM, Thompson box-to-box and Adeniran more advanced looks decent on paper - Adeniran is a converted striker after all.

• Maybe Adenerin forward of Gape & Thompson?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Almost certain it's Anis Mehmeti

He's said it. Big call. Hope it works out

Although Gape as DM, Thompson box-to-box and Adeniran more advanced looks decent on paper - Adeniran is a converted striker after all.

Is it decent on paper for a team in the Championship though? An attacking midfielder who has only played holding midfield at U23 level before? Ahead of two players who are excellent but featured in a League One midfield either bypassed or overrun most matches.

There's still 24hrs to go, no need to get too concerned yet, but suggestions that a player we brought in for the B team, released from the academy of a side heading to the Championship themselves, could be the creative answer fill me with a little forboding.

• edited October 2020

Adeniran hasn't played only played holding midfield.

I'm surprised people expected us to sign a load of 'Championship quality' players considering one of the first things Gaz said after full-time at Wembley was that we couldn't and wouldn't have a big overhaul - it would rather go against the sustainability plan. We're building a squad that should be one of the best in L1 next season but might even keep us in the Championship this season. I think it's been a good window.

• I dunno. Maybe it's because I live in London and am just about to go back into lockdown, but given one of the few pleasures I'll be able to get for the next four months is a weekly visit to Wycombe's iFollow, it would be wonderful to think we could genuinely be competitive. I don't expect us to win many matches, but just to be competitive each week would be lovely. Building a team designed to be strong in League One in nine months time isn't exactly doing it for me at this moment.

• And let's not pretend Gareth will be delighted with the squad as it stands - he's said publicly he wants two or three more players. So far he's got another U23 on loan, who you don't see as a regular starter, @chairboyscentral, judging by your midfield selection.

As I say, let's see how the next 24hrs go. Gareth has a habit of pulling very pleasing transfer surprises out of his hat at the last minute.

• @Hughie said:
    The real need is for a goalscoring forward -it's so obvious

We need to control the ball and make more chances as the priority.

• edited October 2020

@aloysius He'll do all he can do, but he also won't sign anyone for the sake of it / that doesn't fit the culture. What's wrong with a U23 on loan? We're not going to get first-team PL players. And Knight's been brought in primarily as a defender judging by Gaz's comments when he signed - and that's where he played in pre-season for Leicester - but he's versatile enough to play in midfield as he did for Peterborough, which is a big positive.

I wouldn't be surprised if we pulled a couple of rabbits out of the hat either.

• @chairboyscentral -let’s hope we can pull a couple out of the bag. Clearly there is going to be financial support for Championship sides in the future, so a bit disappointing of the business we have done. No left back or creative midfielder yet. Not sure we have enough to stay up but as always ever hopeful.

• This, among other reasons, is why we wouldn't get anywhere near a player like Curtis Jones:

• Hopefully the rabbit out of the hat won't be Bunny Bell, Tranmere legend.......

• I’ve checked him out. He’s not available. Shame, he scored nine goals in one game for Tranmere.

• why are we leaving things to the wire ? we really do need a couple of quality signings....if we don't I really feel that this season could be an embarrassing one....I am hoping not. let's hope our new number 9 will be fit....at last !!

• @Wanderers82 said:
    why are we leaving things to the wire ? we really do need a couple of quality signings....if we don't I really feel that this season could be an embarrassing one....I am hoping not. let's hope our new number 9 will be fit....at last !!

Let's disagree massively over one point. There is no scenario whatsoever where any Wycombe fan should feel embarrassment over our club spending a season in the Championship. All the squad have earned the right for a crack at it. Giving up on them is an awful reaction and new signings aren't a golden ticket to success.

Aren't transfer deadlines all about going to the wire. Especially for us without the financial clout of others? Anything happening today will be part of a long term plan. If nothing happens then the club isn't any weaker.

• And best ever post from you IMHO @Right_in_the_Middle.

• Well said Right in the Middle, I totally agree with your sentiments.

• What micra said.

This, among other reasons, is why we wouldn't get anywhere near a player like Curtis Jones:

Another one, Barnsley have bought Herbie Kane (ever seen him play?) from Liverpool for over £1m, would people really be happy if we spent that on someone unproven plus wages, if he even wanted to come?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54566750

Why are we leaving it to the last day? Well, firstly does anyone have any evidence we are doing so? You can be sure we've made offers and been knocked back. Secondly if you don't have more money than rivals you don't get first pick.

• edited October 2020

@StrongestTeam He did well on loan at Doncaster and played a few games in the Champ for Hull last season, but that still seems a bit mad.

@StrongestTeam I don't know what Barnsley's finances are like, but that seems absolutely mad regardless.

I've never seen him play and I don't doubt the Top youth teams are full of stockpiled talented players but people do silly things on deadline days like that embarrassing Sunderland Will Grigg episode.

• Let's not forget that whilst the transfer window closes today, the players out of contract will still be available. The signs of the current squad improving are there, as well as a few players to come back from injury. All is yet far from lost.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Let's not forget that whilst the transfer window closes today, the players out of contract will still be available. The signs of the current squad improving are there, as well as a few players to come back from injury. All is yet far from lost.

Is the loan deadline today too, and do we know if players released after today can be signed? Sure we will be looking at players left out of squads and in limbo.

• edited October 2020

Free agents can be signed any time, can't they? Today isn't the deadline for them anyway.

Free agents can be signed any time, can't they? Today isn't the deadline for them anyway.

Yes and surely some players would rather sign for us on less money than they're used to getting than saying no and getting bugger all!