Skip to content

Bizarre transfer rumors thread

Comments

• @micra you do make me laugh - the reference to Charlie's Aunt.

• The Maidenhead united striker Whitehill, who we were rumoured to be looking at last season, Has signed a 6 month deal with Kilmarnock.

• @croider Tony Mendy! That’s the one!

• @Croider Ben Gladwin is a name that will haunt us for a few more seasons I fear. Much like Fitz Hall. Not that we’re doing too badly for central midfielders as it is...

• @Jonny_King said:
    Who was that Chalfont striker people kept banging on about 5/6 years ago? Think he went to Marlow in the end, but doesn't appear to be there anymore.

I remember some excitement when C St P striker John Regan joined us in 88-89, in the GMVC. Tall, blond and good looking, he looked the part but only made three appearances, no goals. A level too high for him. I read somewhere that he was the first player Marlow paid money for.

• Cowleys and Pearson given the elbow from their respective clubs despite doing the rescue jobs they were brought in to do....not easy or pretty for either. Compo aside you can see why Gareth stays where he is. Jones at Luton and the Cowleys at Lincoln were safe and could have taken the clubs further, even if not getting a big wage. The grass is not always greener.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Cowleys and Pearson given the elbow from their respective clubs despite doing the rescue jobs they were brought in to do....not easy or pretty for either. Compo aside you can see why Gareth stays where he is. Jones at Luton and the Cowleys at Lincoln were safe and could have taken the clubs further, even if not getting a big wage. The grass is not always greener.

The Cowleys had done the job, but Pearson was still pretty 50-50.

It's unlikely they wouldn't have taken a battering from City.

But Pearson strikes me as a chap who always has a "difference of opinion" in him, as this sacking seems to not just be on the pitch related.

• @Malone It is true NP in post match interviews pauses after every question as if torn between answering it or just delivering an uppercut.

• He’s probably fighting the impulse to say “so.....”

• But I’ve never heard him say the “reason is is that....” - the isis effect that has crept into the language in recent years.

• @micra I think "the reason being is..." is even worse.

• Can’t say I’ve heard that one @LeedsBlue.
    Nor can I say that I haven’t! I’ve always questioned the use of “don’t think” - as in “I don’t think he’s playing well today” but “I think he’s not playing well today” feels totally wrong and “don’t think” feels ok.

“I can’t seem [able to do something] ...” on the other hand grates with me. “I seem unable....” feels fine to me. “We’ll deal with it as best we can” grates because there are no degrees of “best”; “as well as we can” seems fine.

Oh, dear, I’ve started now. A decades long beef of mine has been the use of “fine” in weather forecasts. Dry, partly cloudy, sunny, mainly sunny, warm, very warm, hot, cloudy/overcast but dry are all useful indications of the kind of day (weatherwise) we can expect. Fine, often used in conjunction with the other explicit adjectives, is totally useless/superfluous in my book. I should have laid down the law when I worked in the Met Office in the ‘fifties!

• Apologies to anyone expecting a bizarre transfer rumour. Well, apologies to anyone who isn’t an irritatingly pedantic language freak.

• Think Dominic Samuel has been linked with us a few times

• Dominic Samuel although young it looks like a career blighted by serious injury.

• Sam Hart would be a good long term replacement for JJ

• After the struggle a lot of fans had with Samuel/Samuels, I'm not sure bringing another Samuel in would help.

• @Malone said:
    After the struggle a lot of fans had with Samuel/Samuels, I'm not sure bringing another Samuel in would help.

If so, would that become Samuel's? I can't seem to work it out but I'll deal with it as best I can if not!??

• You little monkey @ValleyWanderer !

• @thedieharder said:
    Sam Hart would be a good long term replacement for JJ

Interesting possibility. Most recent club is Shrewsbury (on loan from Blackburn). He joined the Shrews in January and, not surprisingly, only played four games. Since joining Blackburn aged 20 in 2017 he has spent loan spells at Rochdale (twice) and Southend (where he played 18 times in season 2018-19). Not averse to a move south presumably.

Stats from Wikipedia.

• Troy Deeny spotted at booker Gregg's buying a sausage roll

• @Alexo said:
    Troy Deeny spotted at booker Gregg's buying a sausage roll

Veggie or a full fat Chernobyl one?

• @Alexo said:

Hmm, I did go past there earlier, and I could have sworn I saw him having a steak bake.....

• Saw Gazza perusing in Wycombe Chair museum this morning

• @TwinBrother said:

@Alexo said:

Hmm, I did go past there earlier, and I could have sworn I saw him having a steak bake.....

He was doing a sponsored eating marathon going through the whole menu.

• Watford have quite a strong Championship side but at least they will probably explode three or four managers along the way to keep them out of the play-offs! Deeney will drag them back up...

• edited July 2020

Never mind.

• We can never have too many midfielders can we? :smiley:

• Good pedigree on paper. 20 appearances for Liverpool and 3 championship seasons for Hull.