Skip to content

David Stockdale

I am struggling to understand why we have signed Stockdale. He clearly is costing us a reasonable amount of money. Ainsworth has dropped him after a couple of games. Allsop despite his occasional lapses is back in goal. Obviously Yates was injured but we could have got emergency cover. Could the money we are spending on Stockdale been better spent. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think we could have signed an outfielder player who could help us more in the final run in.

Comments

• @davecz, why is it clearly costing us a reasonable amount of money? Do you know the details of the loan deal?
    For all we know it might be costing us nothing. Having Stockdale train with and probably pass on some tips and to Allsop is surely a good thing?

• You worry too much about stuff @davecz

• Just think how many packets of crisps we could have bought instead.

• edited February 2020

He shouldn't have been dropped imo, but having him to - at the very least - provide competition is definitely a good thing.

• I think he was meant to be first choice but then his lack of fitness became an issue. I am wondering if Gaz is looking to sign him next season and Stockdale is aware of this Ie a long game is being played here. Presumably he is going to play tommorow.

• Gaz took the chance to bring a clearly superior keeper in, but has been caught out by how out of shape / practice he is.
    Two howlers in two games definitely called for a change.

But then I thought Allsop might be back out after that dreadful pass out to an op-position player on the edge of his own box, and subsequent fumble.

• I was surprised when Rocky kept his place after Fleetwood, but he's done fine in the last couple of games. Maybe working with Stockdale in training is helping.

• Apart from the kick out (which he rescued with a fine save) I thought Allsopp was OK against Fleetwood.

• I think rocky is playing well...maybe the presence of Stockdale is keeping him on his toes?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2020

He was quick off his line to sweep up with his feet, but he still doesn't look convincing with crosses. Even taking the wind into account, I think he was too hesitant in coming for that first one during their first move straight from kick-off - flapped at it and allowed them to recycle and sustain pressure. I can only assume it's a fitness thing with Stockdale, because he is a class apart.

• Stock sale was on the edge of the England team. At his best a class apart from the level Alsopp has or is likely to reach. But Stockdale is 34 now. Question is who is the better GK today. I trust GA to make the right call.

• Stockdale not stock sale of course. Fecking predictive....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • To be fair to Allsop, I'm no fan of his but his kicking was good on Saturday, driving it hard into a strong wind and getting decent distance. Did well overall but you always feel the next fumble or needless parry is only round the corner. Was also less timewasting than usual

• @fame_46 said:
    Allsop had a good game at the weekend.

Thought he dealt with the conditions really well. Swirling wind can be a nightmare for keepers. Also impressed with his decision making, was quick off his line a couple of times to foil Tranmere.

That type of clear decision making breeds confidence in a defensive unit.

Tranmere had just 1 shot on target all game, and scored from it, and thats Alldrop having a good game...

• @RogertheBandito said:

@fame_46 said:
    Allsop had a good game at the weekend.

Thought he dealt with the conditions really well. Swirling wind can be a nightmare for keepers. Also impressed with his decision making, was quick off his line a couple of times to foil Tranmere.

That type of clear decision making breeds confidence in a defensive unit.

Tranmere had just 1 shot on target all game, and scored from it, and thats Alldrop having a good game...

Doesn't sound good for Allsop when you say it like that but it did feel to me like he had a decent game.

• Stockdale is on a completely different level to Allsopp. There must be something else going on. Maybe fitness as others have suggested.

I'm hoping that it can be resolved ASAP and we can get him back in the side for the run in.

• edited February 2020

@fame_46 said:

You seem to have a crush on wheeler also.

What a weird response to someone rating arguably our player of the season.

Facts are though -Stockdale wasn’t convincing when he had the shirt.

Facts or just your opinion? I think he was convincing apart from a spill and minor error v MK. Allsop has made as many, if not more, mistakes since coming back in.

I think you’d be better leaving team selection to Gaz rather than trying to create an element of doubt. Allsop has reacted well to the competition with improved displays - we’ve won 3 from the last 4 he’s played and deserves the chance to continue his stint as number 1.

I think I'll carry on having an opinion seeing as we all should - as that's what football is about. Are you suggesting he's played a big role in those victories? He made a few saves - one very good - against Bolton, but they didn't offer much; we got rather lucky in beating Bristol Rovers as they were so wasteful; and Tranmere were so poor he had nothing to do (no 'keeper would have had any chance with their goal).

Allsop had a great first half of the season but had very little to do - and as our defence has weakened his deficiencies have been exposed again. Stockdale has been hard done by imo.

• Fairy obvious I'd think that Stockdale was not going to be used by his employers and came here on the cheap, if not free, zero chance we are paying a big chunk of his massive wages. At the time plenty were calling for backup or competition for Allsop and Yates got injured.
    Whilst doubts about Allsop go on he has Ainsworths backing and is here long term.
    Stockdale went straight in, possibly not 100% and made a couple of mistakes so got dropped again, who can really say if he was unfit, had been out too long or is getting on a bit. He'll surely play tonight and Ainsworth will monitor both and make his choice. You can't bring a guy in for competition and then say he plays regardless and the other guy doesn't. I don't feel either have been hard done by, happens to outfield players all the time whereas if you sub in a goalie or swap all the time it breeds instability.
    As for the idea we should have used the money on a forward, maybe, but we don't know there was much or any money or anyone of that calibre of forward available and inevitably Bayos back firing, Fred's back and Smyth is looking good, Kaskket back soon. If Allsop had dropped a couple in the net last week, we didn't have any cover and some weak youth team striker was kicking his heels on the bench it would be just as easy to say we should have got a keeper in.

• Strangely given everyone played badly I didnt think allsop did too badly against fleetwood. I also think he has improved since stockdale arrived. It was a rare darius mistake that cost him his clean sheet on saturday as there was not much he could have done. People were calling for goalkeeper competition amd we've got it. I also think the good work wheeler does is very often overlooked.

• Quite honestly, anyone who can't see that Stockdale is a vastly superior all round keeper to Allsop needs their eyes testing, but then again, some of the opinions I've heard on players (both good and bad) on the terrace do amaze me -rave reviews of Ugwu spring to mind

I get the feeling Allsop is one mistake away from the chop, and hopefully the time on the bench will have given Stockdale a chance to regain some fitness and focus now he's back in a first team picture. If Allsop doesn't make another mistake till the end of the season, great.

• Stockdale to play in the B&B tonight providing game time, fitness, confidence. Has to play in the run in. Where I sit in the Beechdean whenever the ball goes near Rocky fans are terrified.

• Allsopp was dreadful against Fleetwood. Good keepers spread calmness and confidence amongst the players in front of them. He did the opposite.

I was amazed to see him starting the next game at Bolton.

David Stockdale was on the verge of the England side at one point. That's just a completely different level. So all things being equal then there would be no debate whatsoever as to who should play. Which makes me think there must be some sort of issue. Hopefully it can get sorted soon and we can have him in goal for the run in

• Could be a similar issue to the one he had at Birmingham. He must have done something pretty serious to apparently get ostracized by Birmingham.

• Is it possible the "issue" could be that Stockdale is now 34 , has hardly played for a couple of years , perhaps hasn't trained with the intensity he should (speculation) and is now not nearly as good a keeper as he was in his days on the edge of the England side.

We have got to third in the table with allsopp in goal. I am told he has generally played well this season. Not sure i understand why the knives are out for him on this site. Does there always have to be one?

• one what?

• I fancy our chances if we're allowed to pick 2 goal keepers

• @LX1 said:
    one what?

Knife!

• LX1LX1
    edited February 2020

I suppose whichever way you cut it, there has to be at least one knife