Skip to content

David Stockdale

Comments

• Did you notice how the scorer takes a guilty glance at the assistant after he’s scored?

• @glasshalffull said:
    Did you notice how the scorer takes a guilty glance at the assistant after he’s scored?

conclusive evidence!

• That's a ridiculous argument - goalscorers check for offside flags all the time!

• @glasshalffull said:
    Did you notice how the scorer takes a guilty glance at the assistant after he’s scored?

No. My tv must be too old. But that would indeed be all the evidence that would be needed to establish offside beyond any doubt.

• Did I say it was conclusive evidence?

• I saw him give a cheeky wink to the goalkeeper

• @glasshalffull said:
    Did I say it was conclusive evidence?

"Incidentally, looking back on Donny’s second goal, the scorer was indeed offside." seemed a fairly unequivocal statement. As did the suggestion that the only reason it was not clear to me was the age of my television.

• Dont be a skinflint @HCblue. Get your credit card out and invest in a new television, then you won't have to rely on Mr Parry to give you the definitive situation on such matters!

• and captain blackadder definitely did not shoot this plump breasted pigeon sir

• Are you also saying that the manager is wrong? He says in his post match interview that he’s seen the goal back and he believes that the assistant got it wrong. You do know that the club does its own video coverage of games?

• @HCblue said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Did I say it was conclusive evidence?

"Incidentally, looking back on Donny’s second goal, the scorer was indeed offside." seemed a fairly unequivocal statement. As did the suggestion that the only reason it was not clear to me was the age of my television.

I was referring to the comment by LX1.

• Don’t think many of us would know that @glasshalffull - I certainly didn’t. Are you privy to it?

• We have a video analysist who is very good at his job.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Are you also saying that the manager is wrong? He says in his post match interview that he’s seen the goal back and he believes that the assistant got it wrong. You do know that the club does its own video coverage of games?

Gareth is commendably reticent in making even veiled criticisms of officials but that, along with the question of whether or not there may have been a mystery cameraman, shooting from the book depository presumably, with definitive evidence of offsideness, is entirely irrelevant to the question of whether or not it is clear from the highlights that it was so, as you suggested.

I have nothing to say about whether Gareth is mistaken unless he said what he did from the only highlights you and I have seen.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Are you also saying that the manager is wrong? He says in his post match interview that he’s seen the goal back and he believes that the assistant got it wrong. You do know that the club does its own video coverage of games?

If we just go the managers' 'say so' then Arsene Wenger would make an interesting referee.

Your argument was that you watched the highlights. The highlights show nothing to prove that it was offside.

• There is a wide angle that shows the scorer was in an offside position when the free kick was taken, but you guys obviously know better.

• Stop bullying him you lot. This is the Stockdale thread!

• @glasshalffull said:
    There is a wide angle that shows the scorer was in an offside position when the free kick was taken, but you guys obviously know better.

There isn't on the available highlights. Do you get special ones sent to you by the Beeb?

• To be fair I've seen Gaz punch one in at Col U and get a goal given at Shrewsbury that barely touched the line let alone cross it so it's never that good a look to bang on too much about poor decisions

It's not really relevant to the discussion about who should start in goal anyway (spoiler: Stockdale)

• Quest commentary said the first took a deflection. I only saw highlights but i cannot see rocky was totally to.blame for all three goals. Until stockdale gets another game I assume he will continue to be the 'better' keeper.

• Stockdale was named in the PFA Championship Team of the Season 2016/17 and was called up to the England squad. Due to Allsop's inability or reluctance to take charge of the area, I doubt he will ever reach the standard of Stockdale.

However, at the current time Allsop may be the better keeper (as evidenced by Gareth selecting him) due to the apparent poor physical condition of Stockdale.

• @HCblue said:

@glasshalffull said:
    There is a wide angle that shows the scorer was in an offside position when the free kick was taken, but you guys obviously know better.

There isn't on the available highlights. Do you get special ones sent to you by the Beeb?

I do not work for the BBC and as I have already pointed out, most clubs have their own camera coverage of games shot from a wide angle so that all significant incidents can be analysed later. We are no exception.

• So have you seen this "wider angle" view?

• No exception to most clubs? What does that actually mean?

• I’m with @eric_plant, @Malone and @mooneyman on this. I think their comments this morning probably encapsulate the feelings of the majority of Wycombe fans with regard to the disappointing way in which the three goals were conceded.

Surely the topic is now done to death.

• Stockdale in goal and Parker up front at Burton. It's the only way we can all move forward! :smile:

• @floyd said:
    That’s not true. He made the save at the near post in the first half, as well as shutting down Cole when he was thru one on one

Apologies for the delayed response, I haven't been online. But to address your point/accusation, the shot at the near post was not on target (I was directly behind it, and that's not to say Allsop didn't have to make the save of course), and the closing down of Cole was not a save in anyone's definition. It was a tidy enough piece of goalkeeping, but not a save of a shot on target.

P.S. Stockdale.

• The first one was absolutely a save, as for the second one, if Allsop doesn’t claim the ball there Doncaster probably score. So also a save.

Definitely Stockdale.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Stockdale in goal and Parker up front at Burton. It's the only way we can all move forward! :smile:

Parker's appeal seems to be based on being a lovely chap, not being Samuel and having a good shot at mk.