Skip to content

David Stockdale

Comments

• The ball only dipped as it would naturally as it drops from the air, if he left his line it would have been a regulation catch where he could have caught the ball at the top of its trajectory. The fact that a forward is able to use his foot to tap in a gentle chip cross from about 2 yards, tells you all should need to know about the keepers positioning. It should have been easily dealt with.

• As a supporter I like that some want to stand up and support Allsop. That is what supporters should do.

Who would I play? Stockdale.

• @ChasHarps said:
    The ball only dipped as it would naturally as it drops from the air, if he left his line it would have been a regulation catch where he could have caught the ball at the top of its trajectory. The fact that a forward is able to use his foot to tap in a gentle chip cross from about 2 yards, tells you all should need to know about the keepers positioning. It should have been easily dealt with.

I'm watching the goals over and over to try to back up your comment, but I really dont see what you mean? It's as much of a "regulation catch" as it is a regulation goal. It was quite a teasing cross, probably thrown off a bit by the wind, and simply worked in the strikers favour. I would not hold any keeper in the world at fault for that.

I would however put partial blame on Smyth for dangling a foot in which allowed them to gain possession for the first goal. He was looking for a foul over looking to win the ball.

• Our manager thought that the goal should have been disallowed for offside.

• If a keeper of Stockdale's quality is not operating at a sufficient level to get in the team ahead of Allsopp then he really shouldn't be here and we should send him back

• @eric_plant said:
    If a keeper of Stockdale's quality is not operating at a sufficient level to get in the team ahead of Allsopp then he really shouldn't be here and we should send him back

Alternatively, if a keeper of Stockdale's quality was performing at such a level, he would likely not have been available to us for loan. Such is the life for a club and manager with limited means at their disposal.

• Why on earth would we have signed him in the first place then?

• I don't understand the basis of the argument for Stockdale being a better choice than Allsop. There is no recent evidence to prove this is the case, in fact...from Stockdale's two league performances, evidence goes against him. The only person that would know this first hand is GA.

• edited March 2020

Stockdale made a spill at MK and the error - but not a howler imo - for their second goal but was otherwise solid and commanding in the two games he played. Allsop has looked shaky throughout the five games he's been back in. It must be a fitness thing or a personal problem, because if they were being held to the same standard then Stockdale would have come back in after Fleetwood.

• edited March 2020

Stockdale has played 2 and made 2 errors that cost us goals. That's pretty poor. However, Allsop has been a bit shaky for a while.

That pass out to their man in a recent home game, 10yards from goal was one of the worst clangers in recent seasons.

Stockdale is surely in next game.

• @Malone What was the second error?

• Off on a bit of a tangent....I do notclaim to be a tactician but in order to help with creativity, would anyone see any sense in the following....

Stockdale or Allsopp
    Grimmer Charles Stewart McCarthy
    Fred Thompson Gape Jacobson
    Akinfenwa Parker

I mean all I've actually done is moved Jacobson higher up the field and given Parker a chance, but JJ's crosses to two big guys up top could cause some nuisance?

• edited March 2020

JJ isn't quick enough to play as a winger and the thought of McCarthy at left-back is a bit scary considering he has no left foot! The front two of Parker and Bayo looked promising against Rochdale, but I still think the 4-3-3/4-1-2-3 is our most effective system.

• @eric_plant said:
    Why on earth would we have signed him in the first place then?

Because he has the potential to perform at that level.

• Jacobson was unfortunately at his dreamworld worst yesterday

• @chairboyscentral said:
    JJ isn't quick enough to play as a winger and the thought of McCarthy at left-back is a bit scary considering he has no left foot! The front two of Parker and Bayo looked promising against Rochdale, but I still think the 4-3-3 is our most effective system.

Not even as a winger. Just an orthodox left midfielder. Much like Beckham did, early crosses from deep. I agree with McCarthy as left back. Maybe I'm thinking too deep but I just cant see where goals are coming from. Trying to look for alternatives with what we have at our disposal.

I dont even blame the strikers. They are strikers for a reason. I dont even remember any glaring misses this season...we just dont create chances. Freeman looked promising as a creative midfielder early on but has faltered as the games go by.

@Malone What was the second error?

Are you suggesting the MK goal wasn't an error, despite it going under him?

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Yeah, that was, but what was the other one?

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

The home game before it, that one was much more of a howler, literally went through him

• edited March 2020

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

The home game before it, that one was much more of a howler, literally went through him

I think that one took a fairly substantial deflection.

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Blackpool at home. I think I remember the one you mean. Was it the one where he had a severe case of what they call "chocolate wrist?"

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I think that one took a fairly substantial deflection.

Took a massive deflection. Ridiculous to even have to say it

• Incidentally, looking back on Donny’s second goal, the scorer was indeed offside.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Incidentally, looking back on Donny’s second goal, the scorer was indeed offside.

No way at all to see that on the highlights.

• You must have a very old TV, clear enough on mine.

• They should have played to the whistle, but you’ll see several Wycombe players with their hands raised expecting an offside flag.

• No way to tell from the highlights on ifollow. Is there another angle out there?

• None of the highlights have the striker/free kick taker in the same shot at any one time??

• @thecatwwfc said:
    None of the highlights have the striker/free kick taker in the same shot at any one time??

Quite.

• If Mr Parry says it was offside, it was offside. You dont need VAR!