Skip to content

January business?

Comments

• @davecz - I can't see there will be any more money released (and none if we are already at our limit) until the Couhigs sale is actually finalised.

• Feel a bit gutted for Aarons. I mean, I'm sure he will be fine, but was expecting more from him. Limited opportunity and never seemed to be fit?

• Think about it this way after Rolando goes back:

Goalkeepers
    Ryan Allsop
    Cameron Yates

Right Backs
    Jack Grimmer

Centre Backs
    Sido Jombati
    Anthony Stewart
    Giles Phillips
    Darius Charles

Left Backs
    Joe Jacobson
    Jamie Mascoll

Centre Midfielders
    Dominic Gape
    Alex Pattison
    Matt Bloomfield
    Curtis Thompson
    Nick Freeman
    Nnamdi Ofoborh

Right Wingers
    David Wheeler
    Scott Kashket

Strikers
    Craig Mackail-Smith
    Adebayo Akinfenwa
    Alex Samuel
    Josh Parker

Left Wingers
    Fred Onyedinma
    Paul Smyth

This may be a bit inaccurate of where each first team player and their strongest position. We play 4-3-3 (more than often) so I believe this is an accurate representation. Now I feel if you have more than double the players of that position (I.e double the amount of players in the first team and I think you have enough squad depth. I think loan moves for CMS and Parker are destined and a loanee right back is needed. In the event of Kashket getting banned within the month, Parker would be able to get more involved. Other than that it's all looking good.

• @thedieharder said:
    Think about it this way after Rolando goes back:

It's s good way of looking at it. I can't help but think we need someone thats going to chip in with a few goals...but that doesn't come cheap. Definitely a right back.

• I see your point @thedieharder, our downside is with a few injuries & we seem to fall way short. We are what we are though, with a limited budget so GA will crack on and do what he does best. Recent history suggests that the only loanees we can afford are youngsters that have mistakes in them and take time to blood so my expectations for this window are somewhat tempered.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@thedieharder said:

It's s good way of looking at it. I can't help but think we need someone thats going to chip in with a few goals...but that doesn't come cheap. Definitely a right back.

Let's face it. Out of the four strikers we have, CMS is arguably the best finisher but is too old to be a striker, Bayo is the best out of the lot but lacks consistency sometimes, Samuel cannot finish and we haven't seen enough of Josh Parker to judge how good he is. I think just looking at how many goals each player has scored in their career. I do see the problem without having a striker who scores on a consistent basis.

• @thedieharder said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@thedieharder said:

Let's face it. Out of the four strikers we have, CMS is arguably the best finisher but is too old to be a striker, Bayo is the best out of the lot but lacks consistency sometimes, Samuel cannot finish and we haven't seen enough of Josh Parker to judge how good he is. I think just looking at how many goals each player has scored in their career. I do see the problem without having a striker who scores on a consistent basis.

Kashket is the best finisher by far. But offers the least out of all, outside of that.

Samuel has exceptionally good work rate and holding ability, but has next to no goal threat.

Cms is not too old, Bayo is older (!) but Samuel does most of what he does better.

Bayo is still the absolutely critical player. As even off form is very hard to play against.

• Wheeler is a great finisher and gets into decent positions - would like to see him through the middle again, but he just works so well with Grimmer on the right.

• Let's face it. Out of the four strikers we have, CMS is arguably the best finisher but is too old to be a striker, Bayo is the best out of the lot but lacks consistency sometimes, Samuel cannot finish and we haven't seen enough of Josh Parker to judge how good he is. I think just looking at how many goals each player has scored in their career. I do see the problem without having a striker who scores on a consistent basis.

Agree. To get promoted, more often than not you will need a 15/20/25 goal a season striker.

• Go on Gareth buy us a 25 goal a season striker and be quick about it.

• edited January 2020

I'll have a go up front! Scored the only goal of my footballing 'career' with my arm (ref didn't notice, no VAR in 2005 or whenever it was, especially not at Totteridge Rec) in a 1-0 away win. Shithouse enough for Wycombe I'd say.

• Going back to the subject of a back-up Right Back I think I know who Ainsworth may go for. Using his good relationship with QPR he might sign someone called Osman Kakay. He has just returned from a loan spell with Partick Thistle and could be seen as a good cover for right back. Looks a real prospect.

• Only five players have scored more than a single goal in the league this season: Bayo, JJ, Wheeler, Kashket and Fred. So much of the goalscoring burden falls on them, and with four of them being forwards, and one being injured anyway, it is difficult for them to all play at the same time, unless Fred and/or Wheeler plays as a midfielder.

We only have two league goals from midfield all season: A Nick Freeman penalty (which JJ would have taken had he been on the pitch), and a very late goal from Bloomfield against Burton which simply sealed the win.

I think this shows two things: firstly, our first choice midfield is better at containment, which they are (usually) exceptional at, and secondly, that a lot of our goals come from bypassing the midfield in the first place, whether from set pieces, or looking for the long ball to Akinfenwa. It feels as though we are rarely in situations where a midfielder is driving at the box with an opportunity to shoot.

I don't necessarily think this is a bad set up. We are punching above our weight, and the idea of containing the other team and hitting them with a set piece goal has been remarkably effective. But it is based on everything falling into place perfectly, and when it does not - especially when we fall behind early and have to chase the game - things can get out of control.

I don't know if there is a magical answer, as our whole ethos is not necessarily flawed. GA has utilized the tools at his disposal extremely well. I am not sure if we have the personnel to suddenly start passing around another team, even if we do it once in a while (the Peterborough own goal comes to mind). So I am torn as to whether it would be better to try a change of direction, or realize that our containing players have built a great platform, and we can still win in this manner.

• edited January 2020

@Shev said:
    Only five players have scored more than a single goal in the league this season: Bayo, JJ, Wheeler, Kashket and Fred. So much of the goalscoring burden falls on them, and with four of them being forwards, and one being injured anyway, it is difficult for them to all play at the same time, unless Fred and/or Wheeler plays as a midfielder.

We only have two league goals from midfield all season: A Nick Freeman penalty (which JJ would have taken had he been on the pitch), and a very late goal from Bloomfield against Burton which simply sealed the win.

>

Our ability to change the set up, would depend on getting an Eze level talent. Throw him in, instead of the Bloomfield role, and It'd improve us immeasurably.

We did try Aarons there for about one game, and it seemed decent, but we never tried it again.

But you're right, containment is the absolute perfect word for our midfield three.
    Didn't we go almost to Christmas without conceding a first half goal away? That gave us the platform to build from.

At the moment, we seem to concede early, and it kills the game plan.
    Like someone else mentioned, teams are realising we have a criminal lack of width. Oxford were the first to pick up on it, and utterly played us off the park, before it became a shut up shop job with 10 men.

I just hope the Aarons move is our choice, and we're intending to use the budget (presuming we didn't get him totally free!) on an interesting addition.

ps (remembering @micra 's disdain for the long post quote thing..ive deleted a lot of yours out @Shev

• edited January 2020

Changing our system significantly would require quite a few new signings and take a while to make a meaningful difference, so I think we're best largely sticking with our current approach but giving ourselves another option or two to change things - but an extended run for Freeman ought to help a bit more happen from midfield, as we saw at the very beginning of the season. David Wheeler also mentioned a need to regain the attention to detail that's served us so well. Yesterday sounded like a mess tactically, but think back to the games when Gareth has got it spot on or changed things to great effect: Lincoln, Rotherham and Peterborough are the ones which stand out.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Go on Gareth buy us a 25 goal a season striker and be quick about it.

If you read my other posts you would have noticed that I said I understand this is not possible. I hope you feel better about yourself being sarcastic though.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Go on Gareth buy us a 25 goal a season striker and be quick about it.

If you read my other posts you would have noticed that I said I understand this is not possible. I hope you feel better about yourself being sarcastic though.

You have quite a negative style of posting.
    Has anyone ever said that?
    @Wendoverman is the last possible guy to get upset with.

• edited January 2020

• edited January 2020

• @thecatwwfc said:
    So @Malone. If you feel like you need to single me out in defence of your group, then I won't bother to come on here anymore.

I don't think my post deserved a sarcastic/cocky reply, do you??

Who is in my group out of interest?

Did you used to post under a different username out of interest?

Being negative will naturally draw the occasional jokey response. That's all wendoverman did. No need to get too serious about it.

• Well everyone on here, as I am a newcomer, maybe you feel inclined to impress them with sarcastic comments.

I have never posted under a different username (I'm not Richie), I used to post on the old gasroom years ago. What is this interrogation?

However, I wasn't negative...I said that most promotion teams have a striker that scores a lot of goals, what is negative in that? It's the truth.

Every other negative post that I've written has turned out to be the correct. Maybe people, ie-you, just don't like the truth?

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Well everyone on here, as I am a newcomer, maybe you feel inclined to impress them with sarcastic comments.

I have never posted under a different username (I'm not Richie), I used to post on the old gasroom years ago. What is this interrogation?

However, I wasn't negative...I said that most promotion teams have a striker that scores a lot of goals, what is negative in that? It's the truth.

Every other negative post that I've written has turned out to be the correct. Maybe people, ie-you, just don't like the truth?

We're near the top of the league still. If you're being negative now, what will you be like if we're midtable?

We could do with more goals yes. But they cost a lot. It's not that easy to bring in. Hence wendovermans dry quip about it.

• We could do with more goals yes. But they cost a lot. It's not that easy to bring in. Hence wendovermans dry quip about it.

But I said a few posts before that "I realise it's not possible". I'm not that stupid. You can't just join in half way through and attack someone when you haven't read it properly??

I'm not negative anyway, I'm actually an extremely positive person. Just more realistic....and so far, correct.

• @thecatwwfc said:

We could do with more goals yes. But they cost a lot. It's not that easy to bring in. Hence wendovermans dry quip about it.

But I said a few posts before that "I realise it's not possible". I'm not that stupid. You can't just join in half way through and attack someone when you haven't read it properly??

I'm not negative anyway, I'm actually an extremely positive person. Just more realistic....and so far, correct.

I don't think anyone thought we were going to romp to promotion. We were all enjoying the mad ride.

And you've just disagreed with the post you deleted where you admitted to being negative. Being negative and realistic are two different things.

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

I don't think anyone thought we were going to romp to promotion. We were all enjoying the mad ride.

And you've just disagreed with the post you deleted where you admitted to being negative. Being negative and realistic are two different things.

Let's hope next weekend is more positive so we don't have to pick holes in each other out of frustration

• Let's hope next weekend is more positive so we don't have to pick holes in each other out of frustration

I deleted the post because I couldn't be bothered to argue. I never decided to pick holes out of you. You did that to me. I expressed an opinion...you took the p**s (wrongly, as you didn't read my previous post), then continued to say I'm negative in order to defend your sarcastic comment. Not too sure what role I have played but you crack on.

• @thecatwwfc said:

Let's hope next weekend is more positive so we don't have to pick holes in each other out of frustration

I deleted the post because I couldn't be bothered to argue. I never decided to pick holes out of you. You did that to me. I expressed an opinion...you took the p**s (wrongly, as you didn't read my previous post), then continued to say I'm negative in order to defend your sarcastic comment. Not too sure what role I have played but you crack on.

Wendover's was sarcastic, mine wasn't in fairness.

But let's move on :)

I blame @Wendoverman for all this ;)

• We’re in second place in the middle of January. We have 20 games to go and looks like we have a good run of games against lower and mid-table teams (post Peterborough and Coventry). What a great season...let’s keep positive. We do need right back cover but with Fred coming back; wheeler on form; smyth looking useful plus Bayo, Kashket and Samuels I’m pretty confident upfront.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    We’re in second place in the middle of January. We have 20 games to go and looks like we have a good run of games against lower and mid-table teams (post Peterborough and Coventry). What a great season...let’s keep positive. We do need right back cover but with Fred coming back; wheeler on form; smyth looking useful plus Bayo, Kashket and Samuels I’m pretty confident upfront.

Agreed. If we can keep even remotely in touch, that last 5 game run in especially looks very favourable.

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Wendover's was sarcastic, mine wasn't in fairness.

But let's move on :)

I blame @Wendoverman for all this ;)

Haha that's true. I never intend to upset anyone. Just putting my views across, which is what a forum is for? Agree or disagree, that's what it's all about. I'm not doing it to be negative, I just don't want us all getting carried away with what is a LONG season. I'm always fully behind WWFC whatever the weather, but I'm also realistic.

Forgotten, let's move on.