Skip to content

January business?

Comments

• @floyd said:
    @Last_Quarter Darius comes across as the very last person to hold up a deal over a few pennies.

He made a joke when he signed his current contract about how much he was on. I think he is well within his rights to ask for more money and if it were me, I'd do exactly that.

• edited January 2020

• I think you’ve got a point there. (badum-tish)

• I've heard a rumour that we are trying to sign Curtis Jones from Liverpool on loan. Got reminded because he literally just scored against Everton!

• If Curtis Jones goes out on loan, it won't be to a League One club.

• @PBo said:

I think you’ve got a point there. (badum-tish)

I thought I'd identified a potential RB, only for it to turn out he's a LB.

• edited January 2020

@chairboyscentral said:
    If Curtis Jones goes out on loan, it won't be to a League One club.

Never say never, probably before your time, but Stephen Taylor from Newcastle, Luke Moore from Villa. It's all about contacts.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    If Curtis Jones goes out on loan, it won't be to a League One club.

Why?

• @chairboyscentral there are man utd players on loan in this league

• @thecatwwfc said:
    @chairboyscentral there are man utd players on loan in this league

And we have a loanee with 20 odd Premier league appearances in our current squad!

• edited January 2020

Having seen him play a few times this season, he looks Championship-ready and may even stay put at Liverpool. I obviously wouldn't say no to him, but I just can't see it. Midfield isn't an area we need to prioritise anyway.

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

And we have a loanee with 20 odd Premier league appearances in our current squad!

Ah, but that one was a bit different as weren't Newcastle holding on to see if they needed him in their PL squad? And by then, the Championship loan window has closed.

@Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Ah, but that one was a bit different as weren't Newcastle holding on to see if they needed him in their PL squad? And by then, the Championship loan window has closed.

At the moment, we'd have to do some manoeuvring to get anyone new in anyway.

But never say never to anyone with Gaz in charge.
    He has to have a great shout as being our best manager ever for signings, although unlike a few when we had the "Overall" debate, he still needs to get us to the championship to be best manager in his own right for me.

• edited January 2020

I've been asked how we might get around the SCMP. Um, do we want to become another Bury? More on the SCMP here btw: http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

I've been asked how we might get around the SCMP. Um, do we want to become another Bury? More on the SCMP here btw: http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

Someone on FB said if we go up we automatically get £9m extra!
    But someone (cup 9/10ths empty), immediately said that'd be swallowed up in wages!

• edited January 2020

In 2010/11, Championship wages were about three times League One wages - and Premier League wages were about five times Championship wages. I could probably find more recent figures, but this is from a book I read relatively recently. Even assuming that our current players aren't greedy bastards, their wages would have to go up - plus we'd probably bring in players already on higher wages.

• It's likely that most players have percentage clauses related to promotion (and relegation) in their contracts too.

But as long as we didn't start dishing our long contracts on silly money, i'm sure we've got a fairly prudent set of people running things.

There's a whole thread to be had on who could cut it from the current squad, but let's save that until closer to it happening!!

I’m still not 100% about this. Has it recently been confirmed that we are at the limit of SCMP?

I remember something was said to that effect after the transfer window closed but I’m not sure the maths adds up that well.

We know (on what has been publicly stated) that our budget (pre-Couhig ‘loan’) was £1.2m. I seem to have £2.2m in my head as the SCMP limit.

That would mean we would have spent around £1m
    On the new additions, half of whom were, for want of a better word, developmental players.

Taking that into account it would suggest that we’ve probably paid out £750 000 for the likes of Grimmer, Wheeler and the loanees, which seems a little on the excessive side.

But I’m probably wrong!

• @bookertease said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I’m still not 100% about this. Has it recently been confirmed that we are at the limit of SCMP?

I remember something was said to that effect after the transfer window closed but I’m not sure the maths adds up that well.

We know (on what has been publicly stated) that our budget (pre-Couhig ‘loan’) was £1.2m. I seem to have £2.2m in my head as the SCMP limit.

That would mean we would have spent around £1m
    On the new additions, half of whom were, for want of a better word, developmental players.

Taking that into account it would suggest that we’ve probably paid out £750 000 for the likes of Grimmer, Wheeler and the loanees, which seems a little on the excessive side.

But I’m probably wrong!

If the extra was 1m that's around 20k a week, which if we really are putting 3k a week into the top earners, fred, wheeler, aarons, oborforh, Smyth and grimmer would soon account for most of that.
    Who knows though!

• "We're at the maximum" is what Gareth said about SCMP after Ipswich.

• Well it would be bad for business for him not to say that, wouldn't it?

• Think it will be again we will be near the scrag end and we will probably be nearer the end ofthe month before there is any movement in.
    May see one or two more move out on loan first.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Think it will be again we will be near the scrag end and we will probably be nearer the end ofthe month before there is any movement in.
    May see one or two more move out on loan first.

We also need to make sure out band of injuries are back and firing, so makes sense to delay any outs ourselves.

• I’d guess CMS will be let go so that will free up some wages.

• edited January 2020

CMS will surely be let go permanently in the same way Adam El-Abd and Sam Saunders have been in the last 12 months, but I wouldn't loan anyone out. There's no one in the squad who we can say we absolutely won't need - and you can't recall from a short-term loan. Even Josh Parker will become important if Bayo and Samuel both end up out at the same time for any reason (obviously touch wood they don't).

CMS will surely be let go permanently in the same way Adam El-Abd and Sam Saunders have been in the last 12 months, but I wouldn't loan anyone out. There's no one in the squad who we can say we absolutely won't need - and you can't recall from a short-term loan. Even Josh Parker will become important if Bayo and Samuel both end up out at the same time for any reason (obviously touch wood they don't).

Still like to see Josh have a go at the central striker role. Just haven't seen what value he is out wide.

• @Malone said:
    It's likely that most players have percentage clauses related to promotion (and relegation) in their contracts too.

I wonder if anyone had the foresight to think about putting in a Championship promotion bonus/pay rise!? Can't imagine that many thought it would be needed

• @FmG said:

@Malone said:
    It's likely that most players have percentage clauses related to promotion (and relegation) in their contracts too.

I wonder if anyone had the foresight to think about putting in a Championship promotion bonus/pay rise!? Can't imagine that many thought it would be needed

Id imagine relegation and promotion clauses are fairly standard.

• edited January 2020

Interesting that a couple of Premier League loanees in League One have already been recalled and loaned out to other clubs in the division. Ethan Hamilton (Man United) was at Southend, now at Bolton (ok, fair enough). Callum Connolly (Everton) was at Lincoln, now at Fleetwood. Perhaps we could be a stepping stone for one or two as well? We are one of the big fish in this league after all...

Interesting that a couple of Premier League loanees in League One have already been recalled and loaned out to other clubs in the division. Ethan Hamilton (Man United) was at Southend, now at Bolton (ok, fair enough). Callum Connolly (Everton) was at Lincoln, now at Fleetwood. Perhaps we could be a stepping stone for one or two as well? We are one of the big fish in this league after all...

As long as they don't look at say Aarons and ask why he's not had the impact we'd all have liked!