Skip to content

Wrexham away

Comments

• A tricky one - as our crowds have massively increased the lack of parking has been brought sharply into focus.

There is a massive car park right behind the away end which belongs to the Uni which is now operated by Wrexham AFC Parking | BigParking - the front page says a fiver but its actually now increased to £10.

I'd only recommend using this if you have mobility issues. They close the road to traffic for 45 mins outside the ground (Mold Road) so that cars can get out but its often grid-locked to get back on the A483 back south. There is a section reserved for the Wrexham Disabled Supporters Association which is open to away fans - I worked on this a couple of times last year and confirm that away fans use it for every game.

Recommendation - either Island Green (LL13 7LW) or the multi-storey St Marks Car Park on St Mark's Road LL11 1RY (my 89 year old Uncle parks here). You can also park in the visitors car park at the hospital which will be quiet at that time - LL13 7YP.

Morrisons via Parkopedia is another one but a bit of a hike to the ground. Ditto Victoria Road LL13 7SF but both make for an easy exit back onto the A483. Loads of others in the centre including Waterworld.

I normally park on my mate's drive on Maesgwyn Road opposite the ground but if I need a quick getaway I park on Dolydd Road outside the depot where he used to work which has now closed - not many spaces there but perfect for a quick getaway. LL13 7TF

• Magic Dragon is now our first port of call on a pub crawl - Magic Dragon Bars - Magic Dragon Brewing Wales and they now have one in Whitchurch if you get to Wrexham via the A41 to avoid all the caravans.

Our second is normally the Nags Head - The Nags Head in Wrexham - Pub & Restaurant (nagsheadpubwrexham.co.uk) - This ticks every box with decent beer, good food, beer garden, friendly locals.

Bridge End Inn in Ruabon is a belter - Bridge End Inn, Ruabon - CAMRA Experience - you can get the train from here or the bus into Wrexham if you want to avoid the faff with parking

• Drop a note on Red Passion - www.redpassion.co.uk

• Just been approved and was going to recommend pubs to the visiting WW supporters!

As Wrexy points out, the Magic Dragon brewery on Charles Street is the place to go if you are a cask ale drinker, although it is a bit of a hike from there to the ground. It is a really friendly place as you would expect from a cask ale drinkers pub. The Nags Head is also a great pub if you like cask but is also a hike. The Black Boar conveniently placed between the Magic Dragon and Nags Head also has some decent casks, although recently they have let them slip in my humble opinion.

Plenty of bars and pubs for the larger drinkers, although I would give spoons a wide berth on match day, as it is usually rammed.

If you can spare the time then as Wrexy points out - the Bridge End is worth a visit and has won awards over the years.

Either way - safe journey to all 😀

• Having read the threads around our match, and Wrexham's team news I have two main tasks aways

1) Wrexham fans seem a decent bunch on the whole

2) They could be in for a large reality check this season

The players which have carried them through the conference and league 2 have almost all been at best bang average in league 1. Apart from the keeper, Lee and Mullin who's injured I genuinely don't think we'd sign any of them even on a free. Maybe Scarr now we've lost Forino but he's not better than Taff or Low

They won't be anywhere near relegation, but I'd be shocked if we don't finish above them unless they go on a late spree.

• We beat Shrewsbury away in the FA Cup last year but I was there and they were the better team for much of the game. We have recruited since but to be fair - most of us know we are in for a reality check and again most would be happy if we can consolidate in L1.

I would hope to be at least mid table and clear of any relegation zone - anywhere near the play-offs would be amazing.

• I feel you're being slightly harsh on their squad. Okonkwo looks a talent in goal, and they've got some league one experience in George Dobson, James Jones, Eoghan O'Connell, amongst others. Add in the aging but talented McClean, Fletcher, Jack Marriott - it's better than a lot of teams that have come up before.

• We're a bit of a blunt instrument up front without Mullin. Short term replacement Marriott missed 3/4 good chances in our last pre-season game and his potential partners in Dalby or Palmer aren't much of a goal threat.Dalby is static but links play well, whilst Palmer is a bit rough and tumble. For big guys both are useless in the air.

In goal you'll do well to beat Okonkwo. He's a match winner. In front of him our CBs are really slow and not very agressive. Parky likes to bed players in slowly but I'd expect to see Scarr in soon to add a bit of steel.

Down the left side we are good. McClean is as fit as a butchers dog and new signing Revan gives us the pace we lack (across the team if truth be told). Lee blows hot and cold but on his day is unplayable. He overplays a bit, often in his own half, so if you are quick on the break you can hurt us. If you have rapid forwards/midfielders you can really hurt us as MK Dons did in the opener last year.

If you nick one to go 1-0 up we may struggle to find an equaliser.

• This thread is such a welcome diversion from the depressing discourse that is currently dominating the airwaves.

My interest in the issues being discussed on here is purely academic because of my age and inability to get to home games, never mind aways. But I can sense the excitement and expectation among each and every fan.

It’s extraordinary that over a thousand Wycombe fans are due converge upon The Racecourse Ground on Saturday. The atmosphere will be terrific. As a medically retired real ale fan, I found the discussion about pub recommendations particularly nostalgic!

Finally, how great to read mutually respectful discussion between rival fans.

• Sorry to hear you are medically retired for the real ale - I am dreading that day but I'm sure it will come.

Hate to admit it, being a Wrexham supporter, that by far the best place to go in the area for a pub crawl is Chester with loads of great real ale pubs. Quite a few decent pubs close to the railway station as well if anyone wanted a hop on-hop off experience before heading to Wrexham!

As for the mutual respect - I sure there will be a great atmos on the day but we wouldn't be providing much info if we were playing the Shrews or the jesters ;-)

• I did look at staying in Chester rather than Wrexham but not staying long and don't want to write the place off before I visit, interesting to hear what the trains are like for short hops around that way at the weekends if you don't mind.

• I'll definitely have an ale for you on Saturday @micra, I'm sure plenty of other Gasroomers will too!

• Next to the ground is the Wrexham General railway station - from there the train to Chester takes 20 mins and on Sundays runs pretty much every hour.

A bit further on is the central bus station. Buses run every 30 mins but take 50 mins to an hour (although you do go through some of the areas best villages).

You can also catch a bus to Llangollen if you want some fresh air by the river or fancy a bit of walking in the hills. The River Dee runs through both Llangollen and Chester.

From General you can also catch a different line to Liverpool which goes through the Wirral. I wouldn't recommend it this weekend though. A friend of mine got caught up in the trouble there last Sunday and had to make an early retreat.

• It's nearly 5 o'clock so I'm having an ale for younow @micra

• Thank you. That’s very kind.

There are/have been a few Gasroomers with whom I used to enjoy a pint. About five or six years ago, I remember particularly fondly a post match pint with a small group, including the sadly missed @ValleyWanderer (Phil Bate), Josh who used to commute between the Cayman Islands and Norway (whose surname and username I’ve forgotten), @Slaphead and, not least, media royalty, @bluntphil.

I’ve been in direct discussion with @Shev over the past few days about our respective backgrounds, my own contribution so far bordering on the first draft of an autobiography that will never be written! But I did skip past the tin bath in the kitchen business which featured in my first experience of living in ‘digs’ as a 17 year old (a grocery corner shop) - something which @flymofrank (whatever happened to him?) has never let me forget.

I think @Shev is due to come over for the Cambridge match. I narrowly missed out on meeting him a a few years ago and, sadly, we won’t be able to meet face to face this time. But I think he is hoping to meet a few Gasroomers on the day.

• I am enjoying hearing about your background, @micra. I agree that @bluntphil is media royalty, but you yourself are Gasroom royalty!

I am over for Cambridge indeed. I have reached out to one or two off the bat, but would love to meet anyone who is around. If the weather is warm enough I will be wearing my narcissistic 'Shevlane' Wycombe shirt, and looking to sit near the front of FA, possibly block R or Q. Failing seeing the shirt, look for the idiotic grin. 😁

If anyone is interested in meeting after the game, shoot me a PM.

• Just wanted to post my thanks to the Wrexham posters. Extremely welcoming and informative. Great ambassadors for their club. Best of luck for the season (after we stuff you 3-0).

• Think you mean @NorsQuarters @micra

Thanks to our new Welsh friends for the tips, do any of you know if I can get a good pint of Brains somewhere, don't entirely trust craft beers.

• This would be an ideal front cover for your autobiography!

• FYI for overseas fans (really @floyd and whoever else), the Wrexham game is supposedly going to be on Wanderers TV as well as CBS/Paramount.

So:

Option 1: Listen to Phil Catchpole with decent commentary and club-specific insights.

Options 2: Listen to national commentator struggle to pronounce names and make inaccurate statement about the club.

• Cardiff

Not sure you'll find it for sale anywhere in Wrexham

• Really? Where are you seeing this?

I reckon option 2 is more like 'watch an extended cut of the Welcome to Wrexham doc.'

• Ah, thought it was something like that, should have looked it up really.

• Local breweries that are rated include Magic Dragon (Wrexham), Polly's (Mold), Wild Horse Brewing (Llandudno) and last but not least Purple Moose (Porthmadog).

Good water around here = good beer.

Even f you're not a lager drinker try the Wrexham Lager on draught in the Maesgwyn - its good.

• Will you be going in the Vere Suite (or whatever it's now called) or the beer tent after the game @Shev?

• Seems this is the best way forward Mr. RM as there's no traction on the Wrexham board

• I am letting @bluntphil make the call nearer the day, but I'll post where when I know!

• Thanks @Shev I’d be surprised if it was on WTV, but I’ve been wrong before.