Skip to content

Wrexham away

Comments

• edited August 5

Welcome @Wrexy. We are a civil bunch and generally go where we are told is an away pub or where we are told we would be welcome. Any of your "better options" would... I'm sure be gratefully recieved by our lot.

Thanks in advance

• My team for Saturday (I am assuming Lubala isn't going to be fit either):

Bishop

Grimmer

Low

Tafazolli

Harvie

Scowen

Butcher

Leahy

Sadlier

McCleary

Kone

Subs: Ravs, Hartridge, Udoh, Bakinson, McCarthy, Wheeler, Vokes

My view is that we should start with the players who know each other best. Hartridge, Udoh and Bakinson may well end up forcing their way past Tafs, Kone and Butcher as starters (and certainly as rotational players), but after last season's "we just met five minutes ago" opening day debacle, some chemistry would be nice.

FYI I suspect Hartridge may actually be selected ahead of Tafs, and I have a feeling Bakinson may start too - the above is my personal picks.

• The expectation for Wrexham in front of their own fans on the opening day will be massive. They’re going to be gunning for us in the first 20-30 minutes so we need to well at it from the kick off. We have the midfield to stop them playing and the CBs to clear our lines. Stay in the game, and then show them what this league is all about later doors. It ain’t easy.

• Nice to see Wrexham just have to turn up to win.

• I'm cringing at that photo. Do you have a link to that?

• Lol.... fucking keyboard warrior wankers! What do they know apart from knowing how to broadcast their opinion to more people than the rest of us?

• LX1LX1
    edited August 6

Apart from FA Cup semis/playoff finals I've never been aware of 'allocated pubs,' and I'm not aware of any Wycombe supporter who has been to an 'allocated pub' outside of the above criteria.

Welcome @Wrexy ..let us know where the best real ale pubs are

(I.e. Nantwich)

• The guy on the right is in Shameless isn't he?

• I think they've been slapped on the opening day every time they stepped up so far, they have good players and will probably do well but I'd be interested to know what research led Frank Gallagher and co to that opinion, I'm guessing it covers a couple of Sunderland and Posh fans slagging us online, some old clips of Bayo and comments on Gaz's hair.

• How to get to Wrexham...

Looks like your SA coach is leaving at 11:30am. If you're driving I'd probably leave earlier in your shoes given that its peak holiday season.

If you stick to the motorways and main roads ie M40 / M5 / M54 / A5 /A483 you'll hit holiday traffic where the M5 hits the M6 outside Walsall's ground. To avoid that come off the M5 at J4 and go cross country (very scenic) past Bridgenorth towards Shrewsbury, or take the M42 / M6 Toll / drop down to the M54 which is my usual route.

The other traffic hot-spots are at the multiple roundabouts around Shrewsbury on the A5, and annoyingly just south of Wrexham around Oswestry and Chirk. There will be a lot of caravans on that route heading to North Wales and the main A5 is single carriage in places. The alternative route is take the A41 just before Telford on the M54 or the A49 towards Whitchurch. Both are good routes and caravan free (ish).

Safe travels

• What to do if you get here early...

If you get a good run and have time to kill consider the following:

Chirk - small border town with a proper high street. Take the B5070 off the A5 for the scenic route. Gerrards the bakers for a pastie and the butchers are both highly recommended. Chirk Castle if you want to use your NT membership and stretch your legs.

Pontcysyllte aqueduct - only if you have a head for heights. World heritage site and deservedly so. Pontcysyllte Aqueduct & Canal World Heritage Site - Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal World Heritage site (pontcysyllte-aqueduct.co.uk)

Llangollen - beautiful riverside town which you'll want to stay longer in or come back on holiday. The Corn Mill is good for food and beer and is right on the river.

Erddig - another NT just to the south of Wrexham

• Where to eat...

My advice is not to go to the game hungry. The catering inside the ground for away fans is a joke and often runs out of stuff before HT. You have been warned. What's worse if that we can't serve alcohol to away fans as the kiosk is in view of the pitch.

So either stop off in Chirk or Llangollen or eat in Wrexham.

Options by the ground are limited - there's a M&S on the retail park, and various outlets in town which is 5-10 mins walk from the ground.

Recommendation - Rescue Cafe - Wrexham Miners Project which is on Maesgwyn Road just by the ground. You may have seen this place on the documentary. You'll get a warm welcome and a great feed on matchday. And all of the money goes to the upkeep of the building and they need all the money they can get to fully repair it.

• We seem to have pretty good luck with getting classy opposition posters on here, @Wrexy being the latest.

• edited August 6

What a top draw opposition fan you are turning out to be! You have got to love the Welsh hospitality....

• I like to think that the towering collective intellect of the Gasroom draws in the brightest opposition minds, like moths to a flame. 😁

• Where to drink...

Don't make the mistake that other supporters have made and not got on the beers in Wrexham. We're not Cardiff or Swansea. A few supporters stop off in Oswestry - nice town but a safe option.

Last season the designated pub for away fans was the Ironworks in the town centre. Scratch that it sucks.

I read above that some are planning to go to Brickfield Rangers for the early KO. There is an absolute cracker of a pub just down the road in Bersham called the Black Lion Inn (known locally as the Hole in the Wall) - brilliant beer and a decent beer garden by the river Black Lion Inn | Hydes - Exceptional Hospitality (hydesbrewery.com)

By the ground - tick off the Turf if you really must. It will be rammed by lunchtime, and gets stuffy and sweaty. Beer is awful especially the Madri. It will be full of annoying Yanks as well. They have an outside marquee open from 1:00pm, 3 quid entry and a band but the same poor beer options. You'll be OK to get into the marquee but they try and limit away fans in the pub.

Recommendation - Maesgwyn Hall which is behind the Shell Garage on Mold Road. Wedding Venue and Private Hire in Wrexham | Maesgwyn Hall (mghall.co.uk) - this has a massive beer garden with tables which has 3 or 4 outside bars and music on matchdays. When the sun is shining there is no finer place to be. Recommend the Wrexham Lager and the Guinness but not together. You'll be welcomed here and are OK to wear colours.

Plas Coch is a popular option for away fans on the retail park but its a pub on a retail park if you know what I mean.

Town centre - about a 5/10 minute walk away from the ground the first pub you'll hit is the Elihu Yale (Top Spoons). As Spoons go its OK, and massively improved but I wouldn't recommend going there pre-match especially with a 5:30pm KO. Its frequented by a fair few lads on match day.

Better options? Magic Dragon Brewery Tap, Nags Head, The Fat Boar, Saith Seren (Welsh language pub). The Long Pull if you're feeling brave.

Need a coffee and a footy chat? Bank Street Social.

• Build up to the match...

Only one place to be and that's Red Passion and we love it when opposing fans join our board (although some of our Americans fans are starting to really annoy us now):

www.redpassion.co.uk

We're a bit lacking up front with Mullin injured so we're expecting a difficult opener. Enjoy your trip to North Wales.

• Comprehensive @Wrexy, I now regret the fact that I'm not going.

• So am I!

“Magic Dragon Brewery Tap” - wonderful name

• @Wrexy is there time to organise a united Wales/England protest against fascism?

Given the exposure your club has been given recently I think it would be an excellent opportunity on the first day of the season.

• LX1LX1
    edited August 6

A march from the station to the racecourse would be covered by the media and show a united front

• For evil to triumph it takes good to do nothing

• A loud and proud "Fuck the EDL" from all sides of the ground certainly wouldn't go amiss.

• Cheers for the recommendations, the Ironworks and Plas Coch don't look too promising from a quality of beer point of view. Magic Dragon is on my radar already though I might give the others a go.

• That would seem pathetic and be ignored though wouldn't it?

• Thanks for the info @Wrexy ! Any recommendations on parking please?

• Current odds:

Wrexham 19/20, Draw 23/10, Wycombe 12/5

Both teams to score 4/7

Over 2.5 goals 8/11