Skip to content

Wrexham away

Comments

• I really hope we do to Wrexham what Exeter did to us at the start of last season. It is a brutal opening fixture list, but it is also an opportunity to play big spenders before they have fully gelled - and from our growing pains in 23/24, we all know just how important gel is now!

• Wrexham have already gelled sufficiently to draw with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

No way are they going to succumb to a tinpot club like Wycombe.

I jest of course.

• Never understood why James McClean gets so much abuse. He chooses not to wear a poppy for well documented (and for his life experience understandable) reasons. He by all accounts supports a number of charitable organisations. He has been a good high level pro. Let him be.

• A minor point, @micra, but I think Wrexham and Chelsea played eachother as part of their tours out to the USA.

• Hi all, just thought I'd ask, how many tickets have been sold? Are you looking for a sell out, or hoping for a sell out? Nothing worse than seeing an empty away end haha.

Regarding our draw with Chelsea, seems like they had all the better of the chances but couldn't do anything really. They obviously did mic it up a bit in the 2nd half, but should still be strong enough to beat us. Our squad doesn't need much gelling, as most of the players will be what we finished last season, barring 1 or 2 players with Revan and Brunt coming in. Our 'new' keeper was with us on loan from Arsenal so already is bedded in, and cant decide on what PP would have in his back 3. Personally, I'd be playing O'Connell in the middle of the 3, with Cleworth on the right and Tom O'Connor to the left of the 3. Revan i'd be playing on the left, pushing McClean in the middle. So that leaves Lee and space for 1 more, which I can see Dobson starting. I wouldn't at all be surprised if we bring in a top quality striker, talk of Lankshear from Spurs is being mentioned on loan would be quality, as apart from Mullin, we don't have another out and out scorer. Marriott can get 10-15 goals if he gets a good run in the side, but won't get ahead of super Paul Mullin.

1 more question from me, will that new keeper be a starter for you? I can see him getting pelters from our lot for what happened in the states last year. Hopefully that will be playing on his mind!

• Super Paul Mullin has a very poor goal scoring record in Lge One and that was only 4 years ago when he was 25, it was so poor he was farmed out to Lge Two, the rest as they say is history.

Do you think with all your money you will be able to emulate the mighty Wycombe and finish 6th after two successive promotions.

• Fair point, we have seen a number of players who couldn't make the step up, theory at Wrexham seems to be they already bought a L1 squad but it will be a good few years now since they haven't been the biggest spenders by some margin, the next year or two are going to get interesting because staying ahead of the competition will require huge funds that can only really be earned back or even chased if they get a sniff of the prem. Momentum is always good though.

@Pilot_Phonic we should have a good crowd between the long build up and the curiosity/ flash owners angle. Is Lee as good as he looks in the clips btw? his Dad had a short period with us at the end of his career where he absolutely bossed games, mostly without leaving the centre circle.

• I think you may well be in for a bit of a surprise @Pilot_Phonic .

• Yeah, we might have a four figure following on 10 August and a potential 15 goal striker or two. Plus another one - a mere sub - with a Premier League background.

• edited July 28

Thanks for that, @our_frank. Together with the flash @Pilot_Phonic’s match report that puts things into a slightly different perspective.

• It looks like Wycombe will sell - or come very close - to selling out our allocation - which is a pretty good achievement given the usual away following.

As for Nathan Bishop, he is a certain starter, injury permitting.

• edited July 28

What exactly befell him in the States last year? And I hope ‘pelters’ is not being used in the literal sense. That would tend to tarnish the growing reputation of our friends from west of the border!

• Nathan Bishop just collided with Mullin in an attempt to get a loose ball. The incident happened in the Man United v Wrexham pre-season friendly in the States. As a result of the accidental collision Mullin missed 2/3 months of the following season.

• Nathan was outside his area and trying to head a high ball away as he and Mullin came in at speed to contest the ball. Mullin got there first with his chest. Bishop realised he was not going to make it but the momentum of them both meant they collided. It wasn't a great challenge but certainly not the worst of the game, a Man Utd kid got sent off later in the game for a two footed lunge.

Manchester United 1-3 Wrexham | Pre-season highlights | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports

He missed the first five weeks of the season but was back in early September

• The injury to Mullin was unfortunate but I can’t understand why Bishop faced so much abuse over a non-malicious mistimed challenge. Bizarre.

• Probably fuelled by the comments of Phil Parkinson after the game.

• Will order 5 tickets in the morning once they go on general sale.

Still think they should of had a few days of sales for people who ordered last season before going on general sale.

• Now on general sale

• Just got 5 tickets then.

Couldn't order 5 tickets online due to the upper selling out so had to phone up and get them.

Sold around 800

• Just under 100 tickets left. Gonna be a sell out.

• That’s great - we should have a real good atmosphere then. COYB!!!!

• edited August 1

I worry for our defence on Saturday 10th

Context for those that haven’t seen it. Paul Mullin has a cameo as Welshpool in the latest Deadpool and Wolverine film.

• Has potential to be one of the best trips in a long time.

• And for those who haven’t seen it, I suggest keeping it that way. My 20 year old son took me to see it - first time to the cinema since well before Covid - and wasn’t the best film I’ve ever seen…….

• Looking like a sell out at Wrexham and they've increased the temporary away stand by 700 seats.

We've done exceptionally well to sell over 1000 tickets for an August game that's a 7 hour round trip.

• The temporary stand is at the other end of the stadium and is a home area. Our max allocation will be just under 1,200 tickets

• Yes, that should say home stand.

The away area I have posted about previously and is in the upper corner of one side.

• Wrexham striker Paul Mullin "feels so much better" after minor spinal surgery, says manager Phil Parkinson.

Mullin is recovering after the operation in June on a "long-term lower-back/hamstring issue".

The 29-year-old will miss the start of Wrexham's season in League One, at home to Wycombe Wanderers on 10 August, but Parkinson hopes his striker will be back "sooner rather than later".

• https://x.com/Wrexham_AFC/status/1819449103023059284

SIGNED | Wrexham AFC sign Dan Scarr from Plymouth Argyle

former Wycombe Centre Back Dan Scarr has signed for Wrexham from Plymouth

• edited August 5

Bore da pawb (good morning everyone), what is your designated pub for Wrexham?

Last season away fans were 'given' the Ironworks in the centre of town. Same again this year?

There are much better options which I'll list in due course.